Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Any Tips for Moreys Piers?
PhantomNik

7/27/2007 1:40:37 PM
Well, my girlfriend and I are taking a trip to the beach next week, leaving on the 3rd and returning the 8th. We are heading to Wildwood, NJ. I am very excited for the opportunity to relax and finally get to see the ocean! Yes, sad as it is, I have never seen any ocean in my 28+ years of life. Anyway, since Morey's is right there, we figure we can hit that up while we're there. Any tips or suggestions from the TPCers?

Great White looks pretty cool, and the SLC looks intriguing with how it weaves very close to slides and the log flume. Any can't miss/unique attractions? The park looks like it would be amazing at night, but do they have any type of "twilight" admission? They do offer a special on Tuesdays from Noon until 6 that is unlimited rides for like $19. We're not waterpark folks, so would this be the way to go, or is it worth the extra cash for the nighttime atmosphere?

Any tips or advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
Canobie Coaster

7/27/2007 10:10:56 PM

http://whentoride.com/graph_park.asp?state=31&park=164

From this site, lines don't look too bad for Morey's Piers. As for can't miss attractions, I have never been there but heard that their Log Flume (Zoom Phloom) is one of the best around. Also, the Great White sounds decent and like you said they have an interesting setting for their SLC. They have many standard models of coasters so you can get quite a few credits. They also have a very good collection of flat rides including the AtmosFEAR drop tower (heard it's amazing and provides incredible air time), Maelstrom (looping ride), and others. Hope you have a great time.
hrrytraver

7/28/2007 11:07:03 AM
nik, i've been to morey's a couple times.

i have mixed feelings about it. i tend to really like boardwalk amusements, because they're usually seedy. but somehow morey's, while seedy, is kinda "slick" seedy rather than "seedy" seedy, if that makes any sense.

it's very clean and well presented, but it somehow lacks any character. now i don't wish to bum you out, 'cause i'd always drop over there if i was in the area (i.e. cape may is a very sweet little beach town next door). but it wouldn't surprise me if i found out that the owners of morey's lived in a crazy post modern mansion with huge plate glass windows over-looking the wildwwod bay - like something out of miami vice - and on any given night you could walk into that house and see really coked up 1500$/night prostitutes running their brightly enamelled nail extensions through the chest hair nests of a room full of greasy, laconic gangster types, all of which loafing on puffy white leather chairs while clutching open bottles of cognac with fat stubby gold-ringed fingers.

i have an active imagination, but imho that's the vibe of morey's.

i'd go so far as to say don't bother going during the day- stick to the beach. everything at morey's is improved by night ambience. the flume, maelstrom, and atmosfear are great. all the coasters deserve a ride. the great white gave me two awesome rides last year - it's kinda bumpy/rough, but man it was flying and had great energy.

--------------------
the following sentence is false.
the preceding sentence is true.
Message updated 7/28/2007 11:10:47 AM by hrrytraver
BobFunland

7/28/2007 4:15:59 PM
I agree, you gotta go at night. It's spectacular.

I was able to hit all of the coasters and a few major flats in about 2 hours on a Saturday night last summer. I'm sure if you budget 4 or 5 hours you can do practically everything. The longest line I waited in last year was for the Rollie's Coaster or whatever the non-looping Pinfari is called. Great White actually had 6 ops just checking restraints! They were very efficient all around.

One thing about the park... it's expensive. It was something like $42 for the POP wristband, which was still cheaper than paying for one ride on each coaster. They have a lot to do though.

Another thing... the piers are pretty far apart. As in, I'd guess its at least a mile between the northernmost and southernmost pier, so be prepared to walk. Of course, walking the boardwalk gives you the opportunity to experience some unique stuff.. plus you could get a taste of boardwalk food.

Anything else?

oh yeah... good luck finding parking, and be prepared to possibly pay up to $15-20 if you get close

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
hrrytraver

7/28/2007 4:47:52 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:

One thing about the park... it's expensive. It was something like $42 for the POP wristband, which was still cheaper than paying for one ride on each coaster.

i think the blatant and preposterous overpricing of everything at morey's contributes a lot to my whole "gangster fantasy" about the management. there are hundreds of hotels in WW so on a summer night they have a captive audience from which they can extort. it seems like charging what they do for ala carte rides is blackmail - the numerous parents obviously have no choice but to fork it over once their kids and teens see the garish visual advertisements of the huge blue trippy ferris wheel and the space station roller coasters shimmering at night in the heart of the boardwalk.
PhantomNik

8/23/2007 2:10:56 PM
Well, I just wanted to take a minute and thank you guys for your great tips and advice on Morey's Piers! We had an absolute BLAST on our vacation to the beach and Wildwood/Cape May! If I ever get some time, I'd like to post a trip report. But for now, I will give some general comments in regards to the boardwalk and Morey's.

We did go at night, as was recommended here, and all I can say is WOW! The atmosphere there at night is amazing, and I imagine it just is nowhere near the same if you go during the day. There was just something really neat about the quirky charm of the place.

Parking, which I was worried about after reading BobFun's post, was actually quite easy and cheap! We found a lot about 2 blocks back from the piers and it was $5 to park there until 1 am. That was a very pleasant surprise!

The POP wristband, albeit a tad steep, is truly the only way to go if you want to do some ample riding. Their ticket prices are ridiculous, and you'd blow through them very quickly, as most of the major attractions are 8 tickets a pop.

We decided to start on the far end of the boardwalk and then work our way back to what I figured would be my favorite coaster and the star attraction - Great White. Seeing that CCI out on the sandy beach was a very cool sight! Unfortunately, the weather didn't hold up and the heavens opened up shortly after we finished with the 2nd pier. Then the lightning kicked in and they pretty much shut down most of the rides and all of the coasters. Since we were only there for 4 days and wanted to do a lot, this was our only night at the boardwalk, so alas there was no Great White for this coaster fan this time. Oh well. Still, we were both very happy with what all we rode at the two piers we did do, and the boardwalk atmosphere/walking between piers was a ton of fun! Plus, 5 new coasters added to the tracker isn't bad at all for being there about 5 hours. I'm sure we will be back, and who knows, by that time I may have 2 wooden coasters to tackle!!

The boardwalk food we did sample - the soft serve ice cream and Mack's Pizza, was outstanding! And there were tons of other food options that looked equally delicious!

I must say that their SLC was probably the best that I have ridden. It's placement is ridiculous, as it weaves around right next to slides and their flume. And that view from the top of the lift, where all you see is the ocean, is spectacular!! Also, their boomerang was remarkably smooth despite its age. That was a welcomed surprise!

Giant Wheel at night? Best. Ferris Wheel. Ever.

Overall, I would definitely recommend a trip to Morey's for anyone who is in the Wildwood area. It is a tad pricey, as I was warned, but in my view it was a fair trade-off for the great atmosphere and tremendous time we had there!
Canobie Coaster

8/24/2007 7:13:57 AM
Glad you had a great time at Morey's. Too bad you had to skip the Great White.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics