Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author big chincharron montana rusa nov 06
hrrytraver

12/10/2006 3:23:04 PM

hola gringitos y gringitas, time for a belated htraver TR. i'm sitting in my slightly underheated baltimore abode sipping at a hot fragrant cup of full-leaf ceylon black tea preparing a few thoughts and photos for you all as we inch a little farther away from the sun into the stark off-season months.

i'm not enjoying my usual cup of rich coffee because, as the above photo clearly demonstrates, yours truly was south of the border in los estatdos de mexico for a good bit of november and did indeed get a little of the renowned tummy trouble while there. in spite of bringing back to the USA some of the tastiest coffee beans i've ever had in my life, i am declining to drink it until my intestines give me the "ok". so tea it is for the time being. alas, my favorite countries to visit often give me free souvenirs to take home in the form of harmful microflora for my digestive track.

i was very excited to see mexico city for many reasons, one of which was to ride the famous montana rusa racing wooden moebius coaster at la feria chapultepec(my computer lacks the "tilde" feature, but the second N in montana should bear a ~ over it, giving the pronunciation the proper "montanYA"). at 110 feet tall, it was the tallest coaster in the world for many years after it's construction in 1964. from when i first saw photos of this huge old coaster in r. cartmell's "the incredible scream machine" i knew i would have to ride it at some point. additionally i also learned that the beautiful schwarzkopf triple looping "magnum force" was relocated to la feria and online photos made it seem that it was sure to be open by the time i arrived in mexico. the prospect of riding vintage steel and wood in mexico city was very exciting.

i will be honest with you folks. my day at the fun park was not without setbacks and difficulties. the first of which was the unfortunate occurance of a somewhat pessimistic turn of outlook in my generally delightful lover, jckietraver. as you are all well aware, hormonal changes in women often lead to a few days of dysphoric existentialism each month. as you may also be aware, the male often fails to see the big picture in these monthly occurences and takes some of the temporary existential angst personally, thus exacerbating an already tense situation. so from early on in the day, yourstruly felt torn between a strong innate nerd-prepelled fantasy to ride some legendary roller coasters and a responsibility to a devoted companion who suddenly seemed to have no interest in the nerd fantasy, in spite of agreeing to help see the dream become reality several days prior.

so in spite of feeling like a mono-maniacal and slightly insensitive dork, i pushed through gale force whining and continued on with plan A, which was to spend a few hours of a sunny saturday at the famous "feria" amusement park part of the massive and lovely chapultepec municpal park.

chapultepec park is sight to behold. one of the largest city parks in the world, i would say it is a place of great magic. there are thousands of large pines and other stranger more exotic types of prehistoric looking trees and massive cacti. many families stroll the area eating delicious mexican style ice creams and spicy roasted nuts while folk musicians drift around and strum dreamy traditional melodies. the park gets very crowded on weekends but still manages to feel open and relaxing and is a great break from the chaos of mexico city.

it was a long hot walk through the park to the feria. the discomfort of the long walk and the fast onset of the midday heat was giving jckietraver ample fuel to curse my mission with statements such as "this damn roller coaster better be good" etc. not even a stop for fresh quesadillas de pollo with handmade tortillas could lighten my usual
Message updated 12/10/2006 4:31:46 PM by hrrytraver
ibluv

12/10/2006 4:50:45 PM
Great TR, hrry

That's too bad your "pareja" didn't want to ride. Next time you go to Mexico, you should take me, cuz I'll ride anything, raging hormones or not, although I'd probably skip the chicharrones

--------------------
"How do you tell which horses go up and down?"

-A question people never get tired of asking me
Message updated 12/10/2006 4:51:39 PM by ibluv
hrrytraver

12/10/2006 10:33:25 PM
muchas gracias, amiga.
Timberman

12/11/2006 12:29:26 AM
Dude, awesome trip report, rendered with a rare combination of tact and candor. Lest your guilt overcome you, I once left Momma T at home for a week, great with child, while I pursued a solo roller coaster odyssey through the Mid Atlantic. A rare hole had opened up in a very demanding work schedule, and the siren song of my only mistress, the wood-tracked she devil, overpowered me. I wasn't particularly proud of myself, but it was a damn good week in my life. We are what we are as coaster enthusiasts.

I've never left the warm embrace of my native soil, not even to visit our neighbors to the sud or the norte. Yet if anything can tempt me across the border, such a coaster as Montana Rusa would be it.
Message updated 12/12/2006 1:37:07 AM by Timberman
hrrytraver

12/11/2006 10:02:04 AM
muchas gracias, amigo.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
12/11/2006 10:32:24 AM
No, muchas gracias to you, traver - one of the best TR's I've bumped into in a good while. I had honestly heard so little about La Montana, that getting a first-hand account from a friend is a thrill unto itself - nonetheless hearing that it's such a unique creature. Hope I make it down there to give 'er a go... and to try those big piggies...
RCGenius

12/11/2006 8:15:28 PM
Muy excellente review hrrytraver. I'm glad that you had such a great time at la feria. When I went to Cancun, Mexico two years ago, I really wanted to go to La Feria & Six Flags Mexico, but since both parks resided in Mexico City, it obviously wasn't going to happen. After hearing your experience on La MontaƱa Rusa, that makes me want to try that bad boy out. The chincharrons you were talking about before sounds tasty.
hrrytraver

12/11/2006 8:50:32 PM
gracias mi hermana y mi hermano. es mi placer servirle.
BobFunland

12/11/2006 9:43:26 PM
The Schwarzkopf is supposed to open up early next year from what I know. I will probably try to head down there next year Very good report from a park that doesn't get much love.
hrrytraver

12/12/2006 9:05:48 AM
^i would have rather seen a half-built loop or something than a coaster that by all appearances looks ready to roll with a train installed. it was a terrible tease. it looks like a fantastic coaster...
Message updated 12/12/2006 9:07:33 AM by hrrytraver
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics