Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author coney bdwlk: spicy dance jams & frog legs 8/19/06
hrrytraver

8/20/2006 5:32:19 PM
g'day ladies and germs, from yours truly sweating comfortably in my un-airconditioned home here in baltimore. yesterday i had the great honor to pass a few hours at coney island in the company of 1 friend and 1 family. coney was at it's crowded best - warm and sunny but with a strong breeze and some big clouds to give the afternoon idyllic, teeming beach energy.

this place can do no wrong in my mind, because i have never had a single second there that didn't thrill me, scandalize my taste buds, or shock my eyes with polychromatic humanity. yesterday was one of those days that time seemed to pass through my hands and escape me. it was a fleeting few hours, but life affirming as usual...

i was joined by charming sister, jssy traver, and a good friend of mine, "dnny schmeck". as is my preferred route to coney, we took the F train from manhattan for a pleasant 45 minute ride to the beach.

a bit of myself can be seen at your right, and just a touch of jssy traver can be seen at your left.

jssy traver and dnny schmeck were both cyclone virgins, so we walked briskly from the 8th ave/aquarium train station directly to the cyclone so i could treat dnny to a vibrating mindf**k for his 31st birthday (a leo, astrology buffs).

i wanted to start my sis in the middle of the train, because she suffers from occasional migraines, and i figured "baptism by fire", i.e. back seat, was not appropriate in this situation. as usual, mrs. cyclone gave a furious ride, though it is milder from a middle seat. jssy traver loved her spin on cyclone, but let wisdom prevail and opted out of further rides to save her skull from further scrambling.

dnny schmeck and i, on the other hand, have no qualms whatever about scrambling our minds so i treated the birthday boy and myself to two more rides, both of which were done from the death ejector seat, the VERY BACK.

THE BACK SEAT OF THE CYCLONE REMAINS THE SCARIEST ROLLER COASTER EXPERIENCE AVAILABLE! everyone we sat with, some of which were some young hip danish kids, were releasing involuntary tourette's syndrome-like cuss words on every devastating dip and turn. needless to say, dnny schmeck, who has sat beside me on such rides as the phoenix, the jack rabbit, and the wild one was highly impressed. i am hopelessly dedicated to this ride.

here is photo of the distinctive brake release mechanism of the cyclone...

they don't make them like they used to. here is a photo my sister took with her cell phone of dnny schmeck and i returning to the station.

as you can see we are both holding our heads, badly shaken by the cyclone's impolite back seat circuit. it is so rough and tumble in the back that dnny schmeck is already in a cast before we even disembark the train.

after this we adjourned to nathan's, so i could rehabilitate the "hot dog" for jssy traver. she swore off hot dogs several years ago due to a disdain for strange flavorless processed meats. i insisted that should she eat a nathan's HD at coney island the proverbial frankfurter would again join her dietary vocabulary.

she surprised dnny schmeck and i by ordering nothing less than a corndog platter. for those of you who are curious about corndogs, TPC member timberman has elucidated corndogs as such....

Quote:
Timberman said:
I fulfilled my promise to hrrytraver by eating a corndog, which, for the unenlightened, is a hotdog dipped in a sweet cornmeal mixture and then deep-fried.

here is jssy traver posing with her corndog...

she was very pleased with her decision to order a nathan's cornd
Message updated 9/9/2006 10:56:19 AM by hrrytraver
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/20/2006 6:39:05 PM
Verrry nice, travah! I'm sorry to have been in the land of horses and buggies this weekend - would have totally dug hanging out at Coney with you folks. Send best to dnny for me.
erinys

8/29/2006 9:37:19 PM
Cool, cool, cool! Glad you had such a great day.
Hercules

8/30/2006 1:40:19 PM
traver - You are a freakin' artist.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/30/2006 2:12:38 PM
Just bumped into the fact that Dnny is a leo... no wonder I got such a kick out of him... yeah, I do read just a little bit into astrology.

Oh, and damned if I am not roused by the sight of those fried potatoes on jssy's plate... those things haunt me...
Timberman

9/1/2006 1:20:40 AM
I've just been catching up on my TPC, and I must say, this was a treat. We really do need more boo-tay in these trip reports.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/1/2006 10:05:10 AM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
notice the two formidable rumps in the photo. i have no restraining mechanism in me that keeps me from making a fool of myself.

Traver, I hadn't noticed this last bit at first... sheesh, yeah... you're a regular Robert Crumb...
hrrytraver

9/1/2006 10:07:40 AM
^a higher compliment i'll never get.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/1/2006 1:15:01 PM
I knew you'd like that one...
hrrytraver

9/9/2006 11:00:19 AM
shortly after i put this TR up, the link to the photo of myself and dnny schmeck, which was on the sprint PCS server, stopped working. i tried to upload the picture to my photohost, but it was a "read only" file. well as it turns out that was much easier to change than i realized.

the photo is back up and for those who missed it - the raw beauty of hrrytraver after a back seat ride on the CI cyclone.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/9/2006 2:35:07 PM
Niiiiiice pic there, hrry - now you can imagine, likely to an even higher extent, how my head felt after a few too many rounds that day at Knoebels, on Twister... much like the aforementioned comparison you made between my brain, and the frozen fudge drink that darkridr enjoyed at day's close...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics