Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Busch Gardens Williamsburg 3/25/07
ABR

3/25/2007 11:00:23 PM
Once again, my company is going to shift my schedule around for the summer, so I won't get to visit Theme Parks as much as I'd like, so I went to BGW today, to try and make up for it.

I arrived at the toll plaza right at 10:00 (park opening) and took the tram up to the ticketing area. There was a long line at the ticket booths, but I noticed all these nice shiny "express" kiosks with no line to the left of the ticket booths for anyone wishing to use a credit card to buy their tickets, well I was gonna use cash, but if using a credit card means no line, I'll use a credit card . I bought a "Virginia Resident Fun Card" which is the same price as a one day admission, but is good for unlimited admission til Labor Day... since I KNOW I will be making it back for Griffon.
Upon entering I noticed they now have you use those finger identification things to make sure it's really your ticket. Well the dimwit in front of me couldn't get his finger to match, so it took me a few minutes to get in.
My favorite ride is apollo's chariot, but that doesn't open til 10:30, so I did Corkscrew Hill first. I then went and did Apollo twice, which was like a 5 minute wait each time, and then I went and checked out the adjacent arcade. I then decided to make "the round" and hit up Big Bad Wolf, then the Oktoberfest Arcade. I also went on DarkCastle, something I have not done before. It was fun, but I've been on Spiderman at IOA so it really wasn't anything super special. I then went and looked at Griffon, all I can say is, WOW. I also hit up the Smokehouse restaurant around this time for lunch. I did Corkscrew Hill again since I was walking past it, and then I did apollo a couple more times. I decided to do another "round", and was gonna do Big Bad Wolf, but the line was out the door. So I went and did Alpengeist, and Corkscrew Hill one more time, followed by Lochness, and back to Apollo. and i called it a day.

One thing I want to mention is that Griffon was being tested throughout the day, I knew it wasn't going to be open, but it was a real treat to see it run. However, IMO, this new coaster makes the park lose some of it's charm. I can remember way back when Busch Gardens had 3 major coasters, Lochness, located over the river, Big Bad Wolf, located in a back corner of the park along the river (out of site from Lochness), and Drachen Fire, in the back somewhere, then came Alpengeist, which was built pretty close to Lochness, and fast forward to now, Griffon is located in the middle of all that. It's a whole city above the river in that part of the park, Lochness used to look so cool by itself above the river, now it's part of the hoovering city, much like Hersheyparks Great Bear, Superdooperlooper and log ride, all crammed in there.
So, it goes without saying that if you want a good view, go on either Alpengeist (which provides a good, but short view while riding) or Lochness, good views while riding and waiting in line.
coasterf42

3/26/2007 3:02:26 PM
Good TR. Sounds like you had a good time and got to do pretty much all you wanted. Interesting what you said about Griffon. I've heard a lot about Griffon, but I haven't heard anyone claim that the park has lost it's charm because of it.

Also, how much was parking?
ABR

3/27/2007 4:24:01 PM
Parking was $10, I can't remember how much preffered was, of course for season pass holders it's free (fun card not included). One thing that always made Loch ness stand out is that it was a big coaster and it was built around absolutely nothing, a little adventure if you will. All you saw were the banks of the river, along with the train (more or less of course), even with Alpengeist it was all right, but now it's all crammed in there. I'm not saying the park lost it's charm, just a little bit there in the middle. Isn't there still a lot of space wherever Drachen Fire was (I can remember riding it, but I forgot where it was).
coasterf42

3/28/2007 10:03:47 PM
^Yes, people were talking about their next coaster being in Drachen Fires old spot.

But, if you remember, location was one of Drachen Fire's flaws. It was built pretty much in the middle of no where in Oktober Fest. No one went back there.
ABR

4/1/2007 9:10:55 PM
I don't know about location being a problem for a major ride. Putting a merry go round or scrambler in the back by itself might be an issue, but putting a major coaster anywhere in the park will have plently of people wanting to ride, as long as it's good! Kind of like Batwing at SFA, it's defenitley by itself, but it has probably the longest lines in the park.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics