Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Interesting off-season?
Hercules

1/30/2007 4:53:04 PM
Having not been on the coaster scene for too long in comparison to some I ask the question: Is this an unpresidented off-season? I ask you seasoned vets this. I mean really. Have there been any kind of major rides removals, reprofilings, park closings, park buyouts and everything in between in a season in recent memory? Ever?

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

coaster05

1/30/2007 5:34:46 PM
It is definately messed up,I don't know if I should look at this a a positive since parks may be realizing quality over quantity, or just another dagger in the heart of small parks.
larrygator

1/30/2007 5:38:08 PM
I guess I'm a veteran but I don't always pay much attention to the news out there. It certainly seems like there are more major coaster removals and reprofilings. However, the Paramount and SF sale was big and unusual to happen in the same year.

However, there don't seem to be as many big name additions.
CoastrGlxy

2/1/2007 2:00:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing just the other day. That this off-season was jam packed with news and developments. But then I wonder if it seems that way because we can get access to every little update at any park in the world now-a-days. Especially with sites like ThrillNetwork and things like RSS feeds and podcasts. It's great for enthusiasts, but I'm expecting to see headlines like "Cedar Fair Parks Switch Toilet Paper for 2007"....

I'm getting a lot more info these days. I agree with LarryGator. There aren't a lot of huge projects. Outside of Griffon, Maverick, and maybe Mystery Mine I can't name another 'important' coaster opening this year.
----------------------
Check out my site:
Got_it

2/1/2007 2:38:53 PM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:

I'm getting a lot more info these days. I agree with LarryGator. There aren't a lot of huge projects. Outside of Griffon, Maverick, and maybe Mystery Mine I can't name another 'important' coaster opening this year.

Which personally I think is a little sad, because all things considered that really isn't THAT much to look forward too. Last year we had two of the most highly rated wood coasters in the world open. Just makes this year seam all the more lack luster. But I am looking forward to the re-trackning of Boulder Dash.

--------------------
Wild Cat(LC)2006 Ride Count= 151

B&M did not invent the inverted coaster, they took a suspended coaster idea and made it not swing.

Prefabricated Track is for losers.

5+ Years still missing the "Riverside" Cyclone

Hercules

2/1/2007 2:51:12 PM
But we really can't expect each year to be a blockbuster year.

I know that there is a greater source for information these days than there was a decade ago, but I don't really think that has anything to do with some of the huge developments that have taken place. There has been some really big news. Of course, there has been little things, but these little are happening in mass numbers which are changing parks and the entire industry.
BobFunland

2/1/2007 3:46:44 PM
I would say a lot of the moving around of rides and closures and what not are a bit higher than normal. However, the class of 07 is shaping up to be about on par with an 04 or 05.. both very weak years.

This is still nothing compared to, say, 99-01. Man those years were crazy, and haha, I am old, that was before I could even drive.

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
larrygator

2/1/2007 5:36:01 PM
I expect Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah and Renegade at Valleyfair to be good coasters but you would have to expect a "down" year for wood in the US the year after Voyage and El Toro (and Ky Rumbler to a degree)
Got_it

2/6/2007 11:29:51 PM
This is been quite a colourful off seaon. Let's see if I can remember everything.

1.Paramount parks have been taken under the wing of Cedar Fair and also dorpping the Paramount name.

2.Geauga Lake is rapped of it's two biggest coasters, but with out the cost of keeping them up, it could also be what saves them.

3.Six Flags sells 5? of its parks off which also may keep them afloat.

4.One of the worlds most hated wooden coasters will have a long waited meeting with the wrecking ball and one of the most rusted out coasters will come down and maybe make a show in the coming years.

5.The only wooden coaster in the world to have a loop loses its title, while getting a new neighbor, Geauga Lakes Ex Flying coaster (no pun intended) Firehawk.

6. Boulder Dash may make it back up to the top again with it's retracking, which maybe I am the only person who that is a big deal too.

I am 98% sure I am missing 47 things, feel free to add to the list.

--------------------
Wild Cat(LC)2006 Ride Count= 151

B&M is so over rated all they did was steal the suspended coaster idea from Arrow and put a few loops in it.

Prefabricated Track is for people who can't handle a real wooden coaster.

5+ Years still missing the "Riverside" Cyclone

Message updated 2/6/2007 11:33:55 PM by Got_it
coaster05

2/7/2007 6:31:39 AM
GL has not lost their 2 biggest coasters. Dominator is, by far, the park's best coaster.

--------------------
Aug 24 2006 A new level of fanboydom by MRC.

"True but my niece isn't going to get any more out of Disney they she dose out of Story land. Not to mention Story land has more rides and is on the same lever customer service wise."

Coaster Count-286
Wood-78
Message updated 2/7/2007 6:32:09 AM by coaster05
taylorb251

2/7/2007 9:50:27 AM
I think Dominator and Villan are the two best coasters. With SV right behind.
Message updated 2/7/2007 9:58:20 AM by taylorb251
Got_it

2/7/2007 2:08:36 PM
Two OF their best coasters**
taylorb251

2/7/2007 5:32:47 PM
Ok, thats not what you said in your post before. Two out of their top 4 I would agree with.
coaster05

2/7/2007 5:44:45 PM
Got it have you been there? If not stop talking. X flight was not very good nor uniques. And SV was even more of a clone. I hate when people who have not rode stuff tell you what their best coasters are. I don't see Taylor telling you what is good at LC.
mrceagle

2/7/2007 7:15:42 PM
They lost to of there high profile coasters. lets put it that way.

Other bits of news that make this off season great:
Hard Rock park is Coming - construction
Bells forced to close
Zippin Pippin bought sold and bought again
Liberty land closes
Williams Grove sold and will become a Flea Market
Ghost town in the Sky will reopen
SFI add Wiggles and Thomas Licences to the parks.
Lake Comounce's Wildcat gets mag brakes
SFMM changes name to Discovery Kingdom
SFI removes most of there free falls
Cedar Point Builds Maverick
Dollywood gets Mystery mine
Silver dollar city gets themed Screaming swing.
Cema Board walk adds Boardwalk Bullet a 1 Acres sized wood coaster.
2nd legoland planed for US
Disney Builds Midway mania?toy story mania at MGM and DCA
Canobie lake Park gets Xtreme Frisbee and new entrance
Funtown Splashtown add Compact Tornado and Family raft ride
Funtown Sued over construction begin to close to cemetery
SFKK gets water park expansion water park chances name to Splashwater Kingdom

That's all I can remember of the top of my head.
Got_it

2/7/2007 7:55:52 PM
Coaster 05 I didn't mean I have ridden them and that I think they are great, I am saying that it's a big deal to lose those two coasters compared to them loseing their boomerang and double loop.

I also have a question about launched inverts. When you get launched don't your legs ger ripped back?
Message updated 2/7/2007 8:15:47 PM by Got_it
Animan1

2/7/2007 9:06:18 PM
I have not ridden Steel Venom, but I have ridden V2 at SFGAm. Although it would seem as such, I have never noticed any unpleasant snapping of the legs while riding.
coaster05

2/7/2007 11:06:17 PM
Your legs get ripped back? WTF!
Got_it

2/8/2007 1:18:01 AM
It's the same thing as if you are on a normal launch coaster if you have your hands up they get pulled backwards upon launch, I assume the same thing would happens with legs on an inverted launch coaster and if so wouldn't that cause a problem?
Animan1

2/8/2007 8:11:53 AM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Your legs get ripped back? WTF!

Was that comment directed at me? If so, I said that I have not experienced any snapping of the legs while riding V2, not that I have. Just trying to clear that up.
CoastrGlxy

2/8/2007 10:13:01 AM
Got_it, that's a valid question. I rode Steel Venom and I could see why you'd think that there'd be a leg snap factor, but there was definitely NONE. I can't explain why though.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics