Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Duelers & Racers
CoastrGlxy

9/30/2005 3:38:10 PM
What's the general opinion on dueling and/or racing coasters? I'm usually left frustrated that parks don't run the trains together. As is the case on my visits to PKD (Rebel Yell) and BGT (Gwazi). I think Thunder Road at Carowinds was ran together, but I can't really remmber. Dueling Dragons ran together and looks really cool when you're not on it, but because of the way inverted trains are, I never saw any of the flybys while I was riding. On the other hand, Lightning Racer's open trains and great design are perfect for dueling. It's by far my favorite dueler/racer. That's just my take, maybe some of you had different experiences.

What are your top duelers/racers? Does anybody know why they don't always time these trains together? Is it that hard? Has anyone ever been a ride op? If you have maybe you can shed some light on the issue. Anybody have any info on some of the other duelers/racers like Gemini or Twisted Sister or even some overseas? Do you think we'll see many more or are these types of coasters about dead?

Lastly, she's not a dueling coaster, but does anyone know why Nessie's trains aren't synchronized to run through those famous interlocking loops together?
Red Rascal

9/30/2005 5:01:40 PM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
What's the general opinion on dueling and/or racing coasters?

I like them because they're different than the average coaster.

Quote:
What are your top duelers/racers?

I was satisfied by pretty much every one I've been able to experience, my favorites are Gemini and Lightning Racer. Other ones I've been on include: Racer(PKI), Racer(KW), Rolling Thunder(SFGAdv), American Eagle(SFGAm), and Twisted Twins(SFKK).

Quote:
Does anybody know why they don't always time these trains together? Is it that hard? Has anyone ever been a ride op?

Haven't operated one personally, but I can think of mechanical or staffing issues keeping one side down. These types of coasters are like two, rather than one, in that they need double the bar checkers, controllers, etc. There's probably other reasons as well.

Quote:
Do you think we'll see many more or are these types of coasters about dead?

I hope so, because like I mentioned earlier, they're not your typical coaster, and if you think about it, they're kinda hard to come by these days.

--------------------

Coaster count: 123
Message updated 9/30/2005 5:14:34 PM by Red Rascal
CoastrGlxy

9/30/2005 5:21:13 PM
That's true they aren't that common, and it would be cool to see more of them. They're probably pretty expensive though.
Canobie Coaster

10/3/2005 6:12:33 AM
My favorite racing/dueling coaster is Lightning Racer at Hersheypark. It is smooth, fast-paced, and fun. However, it is the only racing/dueling coaster I have been on. I hope to ride more.
mrceagle

10/3/2005 5:45:42 PM
I've never had a chance to ride a dueler. the only thing close to a racign coaster I've been on is Rolling thunder and it didn't oerate two trains. I think the second train can add a little extra exitment.
coaster05

10/3/2005 5:54:24 PM
When run correctly like Lighting Racers they are awesome. However it appears that it is one of those things like theming that sometimes gets neglected as the ride ages.
Canobie Coaster

10/4/2005 6:13:14 AM
I went on an off day this year, and the park wasn't that crowded, and they still ran the ride correctly.
thinkdif

10/6/2005 3:49:10 PM
Lightning racers is the only dueler ive seen ran correctly, its a great ride. I love the concept of duelers but often they are not well maintained
Danny

10/6/2005 8:09:12 PM
Racing coasters are always a lot of fun. Gemini, Racer (Kennywood) and Dueling Dragons are the only ones I've ridden, but they were all great because of the racing aspect. DD is a little on the short side but at least it's intense and for all three of the coasters I listed the trains are run together.
RCGenius

10/6/2005 8:19:59 PM
Here are the following racing/dueling coasters I've been on so far:

Lightning Racer (Hersheypark)
Racer (Kennywood)
Gemini (Cedar Point)
Dueling Dragons (Islands of Adventure)
Gwazi (Busch Gardens Tampa)

Out of all of them, Lightning Racer's my favorite racing/dueling coaster basically b/c it's just an all-around great ride. LR doesn't really have a signature element, but the whole layout overall was set at a right pace & double out-and-back twister design's just a lot of fun, exciting, & exhilarating. Dueling Dragon's an honorable mention though b/c it's a fast & furious coaster w/a lot of intensity in its short amt. of track (preferably Fire).
Canobie Coaster

10/11/2005 6:46:02 AM
Out of all the wooden racing/dueling coasters, most people say Lightning Racer is their favorite because it is fast-paced, and has great racing action.
coasterwom

5/6/2006 2:03:38 AM
Rebel Yell (PKD), Racer (PKI), Thunder Road (PCW), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Gemini(CP), Dueling Dragons(IOA), Racer(KWood), Rolling Thunder (SFGAdv), American Eagle(SFGA), Twisted Sisters(SFKK). I hope they install more of them in the future years. They are alot of fun when they race together. I like Lightning Racer and Dueling Dragons the best for racers.
Animan1

5/6/2006 9:24:14 AM
Lightning Racer is not a complete racer, it is also a dueler, and Dueling Dragons isn't a racer at all, as the name indicates.
RCGenius

5/7/2006 6:11:13 AM
Animan1, what're you talking about? Lightning Racer's a complete racing wooden twister (as the name indicates), but I just don't really see it being a dueling coaster whatsoever. Lightning Racer only has like 3 or 4 dueling occurrences & even those 3 or 4 times it duels doesn't really make it seem like they're dueling. You're right about Dueling Dragons though. It's not a racing invert by any means necessary. They start off at about the same time, but the two different ride experiences were meant to have 3 dueling occurrences. No racing elements whatsoever because they both finish going opposite ways of direction at the end.
BobFunland

5/7/2006 2:50:17 PM
Lightning Racer has a finish line and all, it's a race baby, and a race I have never lost

Just added another racer to my record on Friday, that being Thunder Run, and while each side were decent themselves, the whole dueling concept was very poorly executed by CCI in this case, at least to me.
coaster05

5/7/2006 5:46:09 PM
Twisted sisters you mean. Must have been that 24 hour drive slowing you down. I am glad to hear that KK looks improved. Are you still planning on hitting the Midwest in August also?
Animan1

5/9/2006 2:53:45 PM
My bad on the Lightning Racer, 'specially since I myself have not ridden it. But from the pics, and descriptions I have heard, it's always sounded like a combination racer-dueler to me.
BobFunland

5/9/2006 3:02:31 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Twisted sisters you mean. Must have been that 24 hour drive slowing you down. I am glad to hear that KK looks improved. Are you still planning on hitting the Midwest in August also?

Yea you are right, wrong coaster!

I will be at Holiday World and Indiana Beach next week, and after that I am still planning on doing the Dells, Great America + Kiddieland and Michigan's Adventure sometime in August. I may even try to stretch it out to include the Iowa parks that I really would like to visit

I'll let you know.

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Hercules

5/9/2006 3:08:35 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
My bad on the Lightning Racer, 'specially since I myself have not ridden it. But from the pics, and descriptions I have heard, it's always sounded like a combination racer-dueler to me.

I always kind of thought of the ride as a dueler with a racing theme.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Animan1

5/9/2006 5:36:57 PM
^ As did I, which is why I was kind of surprised when everybody jumped on me about my comment. Oh well, somebody has to be the scapegoat around here, might as well be me...

Just kidding guys...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics