Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Knoebels "No Snaps for YOU!"
Cyclonic

7/10/2005 10:55:00 PM
July 9-10, 2005

Well, it has been a while since I have writen a report, and I really need to catch up, and I have a new keyboard that doesn't have sticky keys, so now I have no excuse. Besides, I have yet to write a report on Knoebels yet this year, so here goes.

I would first like to say that, yes, I am ever so slightly insane. I was out late on Friday night, 'till just after midnight, and then I had to be up at 4:30 the next morning to work for a few hours, and then drive the three hours to the park, and have fun in the park all day. I managed ;-)

I got to the park at noon and pulled into the campground. All I needed was a tent site, which was all they had left, and they all pretty much sucked. I got stuck with one right next to the bathroom. Oh well, next time when tit is that busy I will head over to Lake Glory or Mossy Point. I only need a night, so it would do.

I headed into the park. Most folks would go right for the Phoenix, but me, nope, I head for the Flyers.

I don't know why, but I have just been having more fun on that ride then any other lately. Maybe it is a combination of having a skill at riding it (I managed to snap the Flying Eagles at PKD two weeks ago, and managed to do it alot) and the shear terror I get from the snapping. Today would not be a good day, however, because a Flyer Nazi was running the ride, "No snap for YOU!". It did not take me long to get the snapping going, and immediately it solicited a response from the operator, who stood up and starting pointing and yelling. Then he did the stupid thing and cut the engine while I was at the top of the stroke, I came crashing down on the hardest, loudest snap yet. I could feel the daggers shooting from his eyes as I left the ride.

I slowly wandered the park, making my way over to the Skooters, picking up some parogis along the way. I got a solid ride, as usual, much crashing and cheers of delight was to be had, but the real joyful ride would come later that night.

I basically spent some time photographing the park and wondering, wasting time until my friend Danielle (http://www.bennignus.com/) was to meet up with me by the Flyers. I headed back over there, a little early, getting another ride, this time being told as I got on that I was not to "whip the cables." I did, a little of course, it is almost impossible not to (I've seen empty cars snap before), but he seemed to calm down a little this time.

I found Danielle in line for the Flyers when I got off, so I headed back in line. I warned her, much to her dismay, about this ride op, and we ended up riding together.

After the ride I meet her husband, George,

and friends, John and Debbie. They had all been stuck for hours on I-80 in a construction zone, and were hungry, so we headed over to the International Food Court for some eats. I went Italian, having some penne pasta afrado. It was very good, the alfrado was nice and think, and not bland, close to perfect.

Turns out, Danielle is the only one of the bunch that actually really enjoys rides, so she and I did most of the riding, but everyone else enjoyed the park as well. George, John and Debbie headed into the Mining Museum, while Danielle and I headed over to the Pheonix. It was running excellent today, loads of airtime everywhere, and just plain fun.

Afterwards, we hit Fandango.

Personally, I think this is one of the better pendulium rides out there. It is fast and powerful, getting up to full swing quickly. Also the rotating motion is at just the right speed so that every seat gets to experiance to full range of sensations and G forces. Finally, it is as much a spectator sport as a ride. The ride swings right over the queue, and I don't mean just close with some space, I mean you look down and s
WAR2174

7/10/2005 11:41:51 PM
I have never been to Knoebles but from stuff on this site and from TV shows, the park looks amazing. An old world park in the new world. I would love to get up there one day.

By the way, great report and photos!
primogen18

7/11/2005 3:21:52 AM
hey a pic of Flying tigers, there arent too many out there. Nice pics and TR as usual Cyclonic
Red Rascal

7/11/2005 8:56:56 AM
As always, great pics and trip report, Cyclonic.

Adriahna, I'm really impressed by your artwork. Very nice!
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/11/2005 9:25:52 AM
AWESOME TR, Cyclonic - the pics are fantastic. It was great to meet you - the day was a blast. And folks, that last ride on the Skooters was HAIRY, to say the least. Bikers and Lusse Auto Skooters = match made in heaven.

What's funny is that the dude who was working the Flyers (I'm figuring it was the same guy - was he older, kinda beer-bellied?) asked me to calm down mid-ride (I had that boat snapping like CRAZY), but after the ride stopped and I hopped off, he came over to me. I was expecting him to ream me out, but he starts apologizing, saying, "I just want you to know that I'm not mad - I'm just being careful" - he was actually a really nice guy, but concerned. Heck, I was a little concerned myself, what with how intense that cycle was getting. Maybe there is something to be said for that rebuilt motor - the Flyer was running far nuttier this past weekend than I've ever seen it before.

Anyhow, it was a great time - really cool to meet you, and I've already checked out the Letterboxing.org site - getting ready to hide some of my own! :upto:
*FreeBird*

7/11/2005 10:46:51 AM
Wow adriahna, you look younger then I thought! Anyway great report Cyclonic, good pics too. Knoebels really does look great at night.
darkridrMD

7/11/2005 12:27:27 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend, guys. Looks like I missed a good time. Great trip report, Cyclonic.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/11/2005 2:59:43 PM
We'll catch up with you, darkridr - no biggie. Oh, and thanks, Freebird - I always like a compliment!
Cyclonic

7/11/2005 9:02:45 PM
BTW, I posted a neat panoramic shot here:

http://www.penncoasters.com/kgpano.htm

I am working on a few more that will be added to that page.
Hercules

7/12/2005 2:13:31 PM
To tell you the truth, I was going to make a surprise special guest appearance on Saturday, but I was too lazy to get up and make the ride out there. I didn't miss too much with the Flyers with the Flyer nazi there then, which I'm greatful for. I promise I'll make the next trip out, and actually give some notice.

Awesome report as usual Nathan. It looks like you all had a good time. That isn't that hard to do at that place though. I hope to make another trip out there before Phoenix Phall Phest, so maybe that could be a time to get together or something if you all want to arrange something.
Knoebels

7/14/2005 4:21:44 PM
Wow! Great TR, cyclonic, and, if I may say so myself, Knoebels is one of the best looking parks at night I have witnessed. Great job.

BTW, is that "Danielle" girl really adriahna?
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/14/2005 4:48:04 PM
Yup... that's me! What, you couldn't tell from the Central Park Carousel t-shirt???
darkridrMD

7/15/2005 10:37:42 AM
Speaking of T's- I'll have to wear some theme park related shirt when I meet you guys at Trimpers!
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/15/2005 11:47:47 AM
Yup - I'll probably wear my trusty Steeplechase shirt, but then again, I'll have my Knoebels-patched backpack, anyhow...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics