Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Wisconsin Dells TR - 5/29/05
larrygator

6/2/2005 11:27:32 PM
Wisconsin Dells was an easy drive from Chicago. The amusements are very close to the interstate.

My game plan was to spend most of the day at Mt. Olympus and the evening at Timber Falls, but also hit other attractions if time allowed.

I get to Mt Olympus just before 10AM and bring the e-ticket to the ticket window to obtain my wristband (an e-ticket is $3 cheaper then a walk-up ticket).

Hades looms large as you enter the parking lot and the tunnel does appear to be about 900 ft total or 450 ft in each direction.

For the most part the park consists of 4 wooden coasters, a water coaster, 6 go-kart tracks, some kids flats, a kiddie coaster and a batting cage (plus the waterpark)

I decide to ride Hades right away, the park is not too crowd and it's a walk-on for the second row. I ride in the front first because I want to be prepared for my last car rides. I ride four more times in the last car. The coaster is a lot of fun with a unique layout (many more details to follow in my review). There only have one train and there is no holding place for a second train but there is no more than a one train wait for my first five rides. The tunnel is absolute darkness but the coolest part is if you are watching or listening. 20 people screaming on the train as it rumbles down the hill, then absolute silence when they enter the underworld of Hades.

Next up I ride Zeus, then Cyclops (which has surprisingly violent airtime). Then I decide to start riding some go-karts, that are fully included in the admission price. These tracks are big and 4 of the 6 have elements with ramps up hills. On each track every car gets at least two laps on the track. On average there was no wait for the coasters all day but the go-karts average a 15-30 minute wait.

The ride ops are very strict about the no bumping restriction and I saw at least half a dozen people have their wristbands cut off by security for their infractions. These guys are smart enough to tell if the bumping is an accident or purposeful.

The first go-kart track I go on is the signature Trojan Horse course. This is the one seen in a lot of pictures with the carts going through the body of the big wooden horse. It is a difficult track to pass on but I have a sinker of a car anyway. Going up and down the spiral ramps is a great part of these tracks.

Next I ride the Pegasus which is a smooth junior wooden coaster.

Next to this coaster is Medusa's Drop. This go-kart track has the coolest element because after going up the spiral ramp this is the only track where you go down a hill (versus back down a spiral). If you floor it going down the hill you get very impressive air for a go-kart. I rode this one a second time later in the day. However, on that second ride my car was a complete clunker.

Next is the Orius go-kart track, a flat track that I found boring and hard to pass on.

Next is the go-kart track I enjoyed the most, Helios. I got a really fast car and was whipping by people like crazy. This car was out of control going down the spiral ramp. Unfortunately when I rode later in the day my car was not very good.

The next go-kart track was Intermediate go-kart track which was a flat course with plenty of places to pass.

Then I decided to wait for Dive to Atlantis, my first water coaster. Even with only about 50 people in front of me it was about a forty minute wait because they had only 3 boats on the track. You get saturated but the ride is not thrilling at all. At this point it is about 2:30 and my feet are soaking wet so I decide to explore the rest of Wisconsin Dells (and change my shoes and socks).

Right next to Mt Olympus is a structure that resemebles an upside White House. The sign says "Top Secret" and the admission fee is $12. The ticket person won't tell anyone anything about the attraction but I assume it is a fun house type attraction. I bite and pay the $12.

Well the secret is out - This attraction bites. Do<
robbalvey

6/3/2005 1:38:51 PM
So let me ask you, which did you prefer? Hades or Avalanche?

We're heading out there in August, and I'm really looking forward to both coasters, but from what I've been reading it almost sounds as though Avalance is the real winner in the Dells.

Not to say that I haven't heard awesome things about Hades, but so many people come away from Avalanche totally taken by surprise.

--Robb "Can't wait for our Dells trip!" Alvey
larrygator

6/3/2005 3:14:00 PM
Avalanche is the winner is my book. I posted a review an Avalanche here that covers more details.

This is not to say that Hades is bad. It's a very good, exciting, unique coaster. And the effect of screaming to silence created by the tunnel is great for those watching form the parking lot.

But as you know everyone has their own tastes and preferences. I'm glad you'll get a chance to be in The Dells.

I would assess it that the GP is probably going to like Hades better, but enthusiasts will prefer Avalanche.
larrygator

6/8/2005 11:25:48 PM
Look at the guy in the last row - that is the insane air I mentioned in the TR on Cyclops
Timberman

7/27/2005 11:15:15 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
I would assess it that the GP is probably going to like Hades better, but enthusiasts will prefer Avalanche.

Great trip report. I loved Hades and Avalanche, which are now two and three on my Top 10, respectively. Avalanche gets the nod for intensity, but Hades is the more complete ride. I actually counted broad appeal as a plus in my decision to place Hades above Avalanche, because it is that rare ride that can somehow please the hardcore and casual riders at the same time. Only SROS at SFNE has, in my experience, been this simultaneously satisfying and accessible (at least it was in 2003; I haven't ridden it with the new restraints). When I consider the rides that were supposed to be the future of the wooden coaster, I would say that Lightening Racer was too mild for many traditionalists, Son of Beast was too intense for the masses, but Hades achieves the elusive balance that can make both camps happy. Shivering Timbers is another ride that everyone seems to like (well, almost everyone). Avalanche is the perfect complement to Hades, in that if you really crave that last measure of wildness, all you have to do is cross the street. Together, they make Wisconsin Dells an indispensible experience for any wooden coaster fan.

Message updated 7/27/2005 11:18:10 PM by Timberman
Swimace

8/5/2005 5:19:30 PM
I liked Lighting Racer. I thought its lack of hardcore intensity was balanced out by the fun racing effect. Wildcat was better in amny respects because it was more intense and chaotic, but Lightning Racer barely beet it because it was just a fun ride even if it didn't give you the out-of control feeling
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics