Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Kings Dominion Trip Report - July 4th
larrygator

7/6/2004 11:31:00 PM
What's more American than going to an amusement park on the 4th of July. My motel is about 20 miles south of PKD and I'm restless in the AM and get to the park at 9:15 even though the park opens at 10:30. I enter with my e-ticket around 10AM and head towards Volcano: The Blast Coaster. The area is roped off til 10:30 for guest but season pass holders are let in 15 minutes earlier. It starts raining at 10:15. When the ropes open I head towards V:BC, but the rie is closed as lightning is in the area. About 30 die hards wait in the rain and then the skies open up. After standing in the rain for 30 minutes I decide to head to Flight of Fear since at least the outdoor queue is covered. I end up waiting there for another 40 minutes as no major rides are open in the park because of lightning. Finally the weather lets up and we can see Anaconda and Drop Zone running. I leave the FoF lines and they have opened V:BC wait on line for 30 minutes and finally get my first coaster in at 12:15 and then immediately ride again getting in both the front and the back row. I realize that with practically two hours gone it might be tough to get these 11 coasters in, since people were saying they waited 2 hours for Hypersonic XLC yesterday (when it was running).

Next I head to Avalanche (Bobsled) right next to Volcano. Then the rain starts again so i decide to get a cheesesteak at the Volcano Grill. Filling, but not very good. I go back to FoF as the rain has stopped and it's running. 20 minutes wait. Since there is not as big line I get on line again. I get up to the front of the line and than you can hear the rain start pounding on the roof. Then the thunder starts. I decided to stay inside the hangar for 30 minutes because one of the ride operators has confirmed that all the coasters are down and it's 1:30 and I'm still quite wet. Rain stops but they always take longer to restart FofF because the transfromers/generators are outside and susceptible to lightning.

I head over to Flying Eagles hoping that some flats are running. This ride takes to long to load/unload but is still fun. Form this line I could see that Hypersonic is running. So I run there next but it stops running so I head to Grizzly (which was a more Beast-like coaster) before they had to clear some trees for skycoaster and Hypersonic. Grizzly is a walk-on and they let you stay on the ride if no one is waiting for your seat. I get three rides in. I head back to Hypersonic the line justs opens so I get in the queue and head right to the bottom of the station but the first car out of the station gets recalled and they shut down again as the mechanics show up. I give it 15 minutes then head to Hurler with a fear that I'm not going to get a ride on Hypersonic.

Hurler is pretty much a walk-on, so I ride twice. Before my second ride starts they start up Hypersonic with people on it. I head they next and have to wait 40 minutes. I end up in the front row and save 15 minutes as a single rider as a woman about ten rides ahead of me is also riding alone. It's now getting late in the day a only 5 coasters down and 6 to go. I head to Ricochet (Wild Mouse) next and it's a 25 minute wait. Then Rebel Yell (out and back woodie) it used to race but now they run one forward and one back. I ride forward in the front and last row (not on the same cycle of course) and then ride in the back going backwards.

Next up Shockwave (a Togo stand-up) so I wait ten minutes for the front row. Then across the walkway to Drop Zone Stunt Tower. I have two coaster to go so I head to Anaconda. I get a ride in the front row (5 minute wait) then a five minute wiat for the back row. My OTSR gets stuck and they people waiting for the next ride are too busy laughing to tell the ride op and I ride again. I save the best for last and ride Scooby Doo Ghoster Coaster. They make another weather announcement at 9:15 saying that the fireworks will start at 9:45, 15 minutes early.
Message updated 7/9/2004 12:56:00 AM by larrygator
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics