Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author RMC rant. Is it just me?
Paul

10/14/2018 11:57:26 PM
Hey guys. It has been more than a hot minute since I've visited these forums. It was 2001 when I first signed up... anyone still around from those days?

Anywho, this topic is *really* picking at me. Everyone seems to love them an RMC. Especially when they're re-vamping a "dated" coaster. I... actively dislike that. It feels like butchery to me, and just for the sake of appealing to a modern crowd that needs everything to be as extreme as possible in order to be good. Still, I visited Six Flags Over Georgia this past weekend with an open mind. Georgia Cyclone had been a favorite of mine (I'm passionate about traditional wood coasters), and to date has been the only Cyclone-clone I've ridden. I've not even had the pleasure of riding the original Coney island Cyclone. Alas, Twisted Cyclone it now is.

I think I may be one of the few (or only) people on the planet that isn't an RMC fan. At least, so far. Twisted Cyclone here is the only one I've personally done, and I (in another I'm sure rare or non-existent opinion) greatly preferred the aforementioned Georgia Cyclone. Traditional wood coasters are my jam to begin with, yes, but all this really did for me was attempt to turn my thighs into dust. You're violently pinned to the seat (I actually let out a "Whoa..." with how hard that bar was jammed into my nether region), in this case so you aren't flung to a gruesome death since the design is about ejecting you outward every half a second. This coaster made me feel like an old man yelling at a cloud. I love airtime. Look across the way of this park with Goliath; B & M hyper coaster perfection, enjoyable airtime. Your thighs aren't violently lunged into your restraints. It's incredible floater airtime with some mild pulls due to the steepness of the drops. The parks now lone woodie, Great American Scream Machine (which I love more than life), the best of both worlds in regards to airtime. You've got your floater moments mixed with a some really nice ejector moments... but unlike Twisted Cyclone, you're restrained with a loose belt, a traditional lap bar with a decent chunk of room between you, and with no need to be pinned against it. That's because GASM doesn't feel like its aiming to non-stop spit you to the concrete. It was carefully designed by John Allen and William Cobb to be a well paced experience, to be visually awe inspiring (and it still is). Now it's like new coasters are the ride equivalent of the loudest, most chaotic summer movie playing at the theater in July. YOU LIKE AIRTIME!? ME TOO MOTHER F! HERE'S LIKE FIVE TIMES BEFORE EVEN THE LIFT HILL. ISN'T THAT CRAZZZY? LOOK HOW STEEEEEEEEEEEEP THE DROP. NOW FLIPPIN YA--AGAIN--AGAIN--AIRTIIIIME HAHA YOU'D BE SO DEAD RIGHT NOW IF NOT FOR THAT RESTRAINT, HUH? ARE YOU THRILLED, MOTHERF*****??

Just one RCM turned me into Brooks from Shawshank Redemption. When did everything have to be that extreme to be exciting? Airtime is great, but I don't need to feel like I'm going to be ejected into a pile of red goo every two (or less) seconds. Phoenix at Knoebel's looks like another perfect example of what a coaster should be that's loaded with airtime. Somehow along the way, and I'm reminded of a quote and general theme from Jurassic World, "People want bigger, louder... more teeth". In order for interest to be sustained, real dinosaurs weren't enough anymore-- so they created hybrids. Meaner, louder, more extreme! It feels like exactly what's happening here, just without them eating people. Though if I recall, New Texas Giant which replaced The Texas Giant, took someones life at its earliest given opportunity after... how many years of The Texas Giant doing no such thing? One flaw in the riders body dimension/one mistake... someone gets their body broken apart because these new designs just have to be the most extreme, most EJECTIN' YA two minutes created by man. This as opposed to a well balanced experience where precise twists, drops, and high speed were enough to thrill people. I didn't even have a single moment of fun riding Twisted Cyclone this past weekend. It just felt like a ride that was actively trying to end my life. Goliath and GASM reminded me soon after that I actually wasn't too old for rollercoasters these days, so at least that felt nice.

Is there anyone out there who shares this opinion?
Message updated 10/15/2018 12:07:46 AM by Paul
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics