Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author New Animal Kingdom Land
nyeboy9

12/1/2010 12:27:41 AM

http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/25945064/detail.html

No idea the validity of this, but it being on the local news gave me a little more hope
Hercules

12/1/2010 12:16:52 PM
As long as they don't have the rumored dolphin or whale show, I will be ok with this.

---------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

coaster05

12/1/2010 1:57:45 PM
^Can I assume the shows goes against your animal beliefs? Not criticizing at all because I know others don't want it just because they consider it Sea World's area, etc. I think disney could do a great show and anything that would make me want to visit Animal Kingdom would be a nice start.
Hercules

12/2/2010 12:55:36 PM
^ You would be correct. I wouldn't mind a marsupial exhibit all that much in comparison to a whale or dolphin show.
mrceagle

12/2/2010 1:19:26 PM
I have to agree A Whale and Dolphin show is a bit too Sea Word. Seems more like Copying then expanding.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right." Walt Disney
Hercules

12/2/2010 3:26:44 PM
Well, no, you wouldn't be agreeing with me exactly. I don't want a dolphin or whale show because of my animal rights background.

Now, if I were looking at it in an unbiased fashion, then I would have to say I don't mind it too much from a business perspective. Just because Sea World is a few miles down the road doesn't mean anything.
coaster05

12/2/2010 11:16:02 PM
Jay, that was what I figured on your opinion. I am always torn on my feelings about animals in captivity.

I don't believe it is copying as several zoos and other parks also do the shows. Either way Animal kingdom blows and a new land would definately help.
Canobie Coaster

12/5/2010 9:03:51 AM
^ I agree with that.

In 2000 for my first visit to Animal Kingdom, I spent less than a half day there. After riding Dinosuar (then Countdown to Extinction) once and the Kali River Rapids a couple times, I realized just how little the park had to offer in terms of rides. Obviously I looked at some of the animal exhibits, but the ride offerings were just very poor.

Then, two years ago, Animal Kingdom had definitely expanded. Expedition Everest is definitely the headliner that the park needs; however, the park is still lacking another marquee attraction.

This proposed land could definitely help the park if it is executed correctly.

---------------------
Track Record
30 Wood Coasters
100 Steel Coasters
130 Total Coasters
Hercules

12/7/2010 1:08:21 PM
^ Having not been to the park, and probably never will, is that the general concensous about the park?
coaster05

12/7/2010 3:34:33 PM
^It seems to be. I love Disneyworld, but that place just doesn't seem worth it. I don't think Studios has a lot to do either, but I enjoy the look and feel of the park. For whatever reason this one just doesn't work. The zoo exhibits are nice, but there are just as nice of areas at any one of the 45 zoos I have visited.

Jay, not to pry, but is your view of all zoos pretty bad also. Do you feel that even endangered animals should be left to run the cycle since we know people can't leave them alone. Again not trying to argue as I am often torn on that idea also. I love zoos, but of course wish we didn't need them. I do feel the animals are treated well, but not free, but I also don't know if free is that great in some areas.
Hercules

12/10/2010 1:00:51 PM
^ Not a problem Rich. I could talk about this kind of thing all day long and have no problem expressing my views.

I have two main problems with zoo exhibits. First, the enclosures for most of the animals in no way replicate what they would have in the wild. A lot of the animals in zoos and aquariums travels tens, if not hundreds of miles a day. Small enclosures do not allow them to do that, which may cause them to get extremely bored without the physical and mental stimulation that they need. This is especially true with whales and dolphins. Plus, a lot of the animals in many areas are not anywhere close to the type of climate they would be used to. Is it really fair to have camels, who are naturally supposed to be in extreme dry desert heat outside in the middle of April in 60 degree weather? I'll kick it up a notch actually... is it fair to have a camel at a live nativity down the block from me in frigid tempuratures for hours on end?

And why is this kind of thing done? Because people just think about themselves. That is the biggest problem I have. People think animals are their own to enjoy and watch and gawk over. I have no problem with people attempting to save species from extinction, but when their explanation is "So WE can enjoy these animals for many years to come", I have a major problem with it. No matter what the bible says (and I'm certainly not a religious man) animals were not places here for us, and we certainly don't have "dominion" over them in the context many people believe. And we certainly don't need to capture animals to observe just so we can learn about them. Let them live their lives. People are just selfish.
coaster05

12/10/2010 1:55:00 PM
That was pretty close to what I figured you felt. I definately feel more for the sea animals though I will also be honest in the fact that I am guilty of supporting places like Sea World. I often wonder if their lives are more different in captivity then they would be worse. So many zoos have improved their exhibits and stimulus programs, but obviously it is not the same as being free.

So to play devils advocate or whatever. How do you feel about the animals that have been born in captivity? How about injured animals like the Bald Eagle exhibits? What about when zoos may be their only chance at survival? Again just curious as to your feeling/opinion as i know you are way more informed on this then I am.

I do agree with you 100% on peoples arrogance toward animals. I do eat meat, more then I should, but I hate things like cruelty, or its just a dog so its not a big deal that it was killed. Any of that level where somehow its the animals fault for living in an area we want to build on or drive across. I always think when I see zoos, or animal shows, or even places like Yellowstone, that the "dumber" animals could easily share the world with the "smarter" humans. Isn't part of being the "superior" race to have the intelligence and the caring to help those that are not as advanced as you are.

Thanks again Jay I look forward to your response. As far as the others who read sorry for hijacking the thread maybe we did need a small forum of namelessness.
Horizons12

12/13/2010 4:40:26 PM
Might I refer to Denis Leary for a moment?

-"Don't eat the tuna fish!"
"Why?!"
-"Because dolphins get caught up in their nets!"
"Well what about the tuna?"
-"Oh f--- them, they taste good!"

(goes back into lurk mode.)

---------------------
mrceagle

2/21/2011 8:48:26 PM
See this is what I have always loved about this site. We can go off topic still stay in the range of the topic post apposing views with no one arguing or getting upset.

I personally enjoy zoos in general. I do want to see animals that look taken care up on habitats that are at least properly sized. I would not support a zoo that has animal in small cages.

While not a Zoo one of the largest experiences with an animal in captivity would be the Black bears at Clark's Trading post in NH. The family has been raising black bears for more then 80 years. The curent habitats are slightly small but each hold only one bear, offers shelter and a place to climb. the family hired the same designer form animal kingdom to design 2 new display area that will doubt the current pen size and and a second much larger one. The bears perform but only tricks they are interested in. if they back away form a trick they try another an build a show around that as they age they eventually retire to a custom area across the street. from the show they mention a bear in the wild is expected to live I believe it's 8-11, their oldest bear died at 26. their norm is 18. the bears are family and are after their death placed in a cemetery at the park.

as for animal kingdom it's one of the best zoos I have been to. do to it's size the animal have much more room then at your average zoo and the rides and shows adds a level that no other zoo I have experienced can offer. I was happy to have visited Animal kingdom and look forward to goign again.

I do home they expand the park more. They need more non animal attraction to draw and hold the interest of the guests.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics