Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Canobie Screeemfest 2010 PTR
mrceagle

11/18/2010 9:22:22 AM
Having only one ticket left I wanted till closing weekend to make my last trip to Canobie lake Park and check out its Halloween event Screeemfest. I got at the park at 3:30, though the park didn’t open till 4. They opened the gates about 15 minutes later and I made my way around the parks to get pics of the parks scattered sets. The park closed at 11 of I had 7 hours to take everything in.

Rides were not a priority but over the course of the day I hit Cannonball, Davinci’s Dream, Tea cups, and Start blaster. I would have hit more but it seems every ride in the park closed down 10 minutes early. My last try was Whip out at 2 minutes of 11. They said the park was closed yet needless to say no announcement was made till 2 minutes later.

Canobie was broken up into 2 sections Oktoberfest and Screeemfest. And I spend some time in both. They were also the focus of my trip.

Oktoberfest
It was Located in the center of the park, stretching form the International food pavilion to the edge of kiddie land. The park offered variety of German inspired Food as well as a wide selection of beers. The area was covered by a large tent and filled with picnic tables. There was even a German Oompah band.

Though the main Show for the event was a Prince Tribute show. To introduce the show and also Screemfest an Ozy Osborn look alike. Both performers were top notch which is normal for the shows and performers brought in by Simon Will productions. There were some great songs covered but they seemed to be only about half the songs. They even covered Bat dance which is my favorite Prince song. This show could have been much bigger and seemed confined in the midway stage. It was well worth the time to watch it and I saw half of the first show and all of the second.

I did not buy any Oktoberfest food or beer. I did however take a try at the Mug Slide. I had a ticket to try it free. I didn’t win. I did get a refill of soda which was $1 dollar.

Screemfest
Screeemfest consisted of 3 haunts, 2 shows, 2 themed games, and the Monster parade. The event took up nearly all the park outside of the October fest area. 2 sections of the park were closed for the season. The haunts were moved into the parks old Roller Rink building that has been used for storage for as long as I can remember.

The shows were both located in the Dance hall theater which held the haunts last year. The 2 shows were Monster Bash a monster rock show and Circus of the Strange a magic and vaudeville style show. Both shows were very enjoyable but seemed small for the venue. I get the reasoning behind the show locations but feel they should have been reversed. The circus I watched all the way through and felt most trick were worth the time. The Rock show I watched the first half. Only. The performer Brandon is an amazing singer and an energetic showman. Though this is a Halloween show and pushing Superstitious as a seasonal song they were performing run of the mill songs, Some Body to Love for example. The joking and talk between songs seemed to draw out the shows main draw the fantastic performers. I did not see the monster parade this year.

The haunts were the key attraction for this trip. The Haunts are included with your Admission so I had no hesitation to hit each of them twice. I did play the Autopsy game which is a life size operation game. I did try the Last ride. I had a ticket for this attraction wish is a simulated ride to the grave. It has audio, smells, and simulated movements and feels. It was a lot of fun.

The Village
This was the least impressive of the 3 haunts. The majority of the Ye old Canobie Village is closed to house this Haunt. Much of the courtyard as well as the flumes over flow queue was used to house the Ride queue which stayed at 30-40 minutes all night. The haunt consisted of corn cob lined fences as well as trestle fencing that was set up to create corridors. Unlike last year the entire haunt was outdoors which made it feel smaller. The lack of A large graveyard also took a lot away form the haunts themeing. The haunt was well staffed but the majority of performers were bunched into the back and end section.
Rating - 2 out of 5

Merriment Incorporated
Now housed in the Roller rink the attraction got a new evil clown entrance prop. The haunt was very well themed same as last year and a new room was added. This arcade used old Video games that were stored in the building and added a little extra. The Haunt was well staffed I counted 15 performers. Though the performance level was mixed, a few simply walked pardoned made no effort to frighten me. The haunt ends with a white strobed claustrophobic chamber. Thing it you then had to walk the stretch of the building to get out with little light and nothing to direct you except park security.
Rating - 3.5 out of 5

Dead Shed
This was also located in the Skating rink. The Entrance from last year was moved outside and corn cob lines fencing lead you to the haunts entrance. While this was the best themed of the 3 haunts it’s lighting was terrible so much of it was missed. It was the most frightening of the 3 but I attribute that to the many performers (18) that made a point to make you jump. The scenes with the best lighting were also the ones with the most props. These scenes also had smells such a s chicken feathers, rotted meat and well a cow droppings smell. The fully immersive haunt was fantastic except the darkness got me last I actually walked through an actors portal instead of going through the opening I should have. The parks best haunt in my mind.
Rating - 4 out of 5

I ran into 2 members of Canobie fan justplainsteve and Garnder14. I also ran into 2 of the park owners Anthony and Carl Bernie. Carl confirmed that the USA mission will be removed for the new coasters entrance. I later in the day got a chance to talk worth him about the haunts. I spent most of the tie talking to Anthony. He gave me the coupons I used on the games and told me the USA mission ride might be relocated if they can find a spot for it. We talked about the Screeemfest event as well as the coaster. Seems the coaster was discovered not though many pleas on the Canobie forums but after visiting a park in Europe with family that had a euro fighter. They were most impressed by the lack of noise and new it was a perfect fit for the park. We also talked about Corkscrew as Future attractions. He even asked me what I would add if it was my choice.

In all it was a very good day expect of the rides closing early. It’s always sad to make your last trip of the season but I have so much to look forward to in 2011.I said a few goodbyes on my way out wishing them a great of season and insuring I would see then next year.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right." Walt Disney
mrceagle

11/18/2010 9:24:06 AM
Here are the photos from my trip:

Screeemfest

Cemetery

New Toxic Spin set

Haunt entrances for Merriment Inc and Dead Shed

A few of the Walk around performers

New LED ferris wheel light program in action

Untamed Sign:

See many more photos here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=250050&id=591859751&l=e4545fd210