Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Golden Nugget to be Demolished
Horizons12

12/10/2008 5:12:32 PM
".A roller coaster that created thousands of memories on the Wildwood boardwalk will be removed from Hunt'.s Pier in 2009. The Morey Organization announced that a public ceremony will be held on January 31st, 2009 in the memory of the Golden Nugget rollercoaster, which is slated to come down. Jack Morey of the Morey Organization said ".We gave serious thought to how we might restore the golden Nugget to its former glory, in the context of our long range plans....In the end, the old ride was just not viable given New Jersey state regulations and industry safety standards. The Golden Nugget Mine Ride originally opened in July, 1960 on the newly construction ocean side section of Hunt'.s Pier. The Golden Nugget was built three stories high with the top floor giving riders a mine car ride through the desert. A special ceremony will be held in memory of this classic amusement ride.".

Source: Costal Broadcasing News
Lin48

12/13/2008 11:49:11 PM
Thanks for this post. What a bummer. I'.ve seen pictures of this and wished for a restoration. It was probably really neat in its heyday, but I can see how it would be totally impractical to do anything with it, especially since it is so large and on a pier that is no longer used. But someone else should try building something similar. It is a good concept. Well, the original one. Once they added the dinosaur theming, it sounded like it got weird.
mrceagle

12/17/2008 7:29:46 PM
I wish they woudl have made this choice a year form now. It's a solid design I could see some one some day adding a new attraction in the same spirit.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
Canobie Coaster

1/11/2009 3:23:09 PM
There is a chance that this may be saved. According to a posting on Theme Park Review and Screamscape, Knoebels supposedly bought this ride as a replacement for their aging kiddie coaster.

As much as I wish that this is true, it is just a rumor as always with screamscape.

---------------------
Track Record
21 Wood Coasters
67 Steel Coasters
88 Total Coasters
Hercules

1/15/2009 12:20:31 PM
You beat be to it Yoshi. There is a serious rumor out there at Dick bought the Golden Nugget. I'm not sure if it will be a replacement in the spot of High Speed Thrill Coaster or not, but HSTC will be leaving the park.

---------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

mrceagle

1/15/2009 9:21:19 PM
While they may have bought it it's not going to be a replacement for the kiddie coaster. It couldn't even go in it's spot.
Hercules

1/16/2009 12:06:17 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. I just don't see it fitting.

And yes, there are pictures out there that show HSTC with just half of the drop and the station. I guess it really is gone for good.
bumprnugit

1/16/2009 10:16:38 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
While they may have bought it it's not going to be a replacement for the kiddie coaster. It couldn't even go in it's spot.

I never considered HSTC a "kiddie" coaster. There was always something deliciously evil about that ride. I too suspect it's history (probably due to up-keep and insurance premiums.)

Good to see you again, Herc.

---------------------
Life can be hilariously cruel.
Message updated 1/16/2009 10:20:08 PM by bumprnugit
Animan1

1/16/2009 10:55:02 PM
Ah...and in the year that I plan to be making my first trip to Knoebels too. A shame that I probably won't get to experience the wonder of the High Speed Thrill Coaster.

But...maybe Flying Turns?

---------------------
"..Impossibility is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools."..

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Coaster Count: 120
Hercules

1/26/2009 10:16:45 AM
I'll be heading to Wildwood on Saturday for the Golden Nugget ceremony. Anyone else thinking about going?
RCGenius

1/28/2009 8:44:06 AM
Morey’s Piers' Golden Nugget purchased by Knoebels Amusement Resort (Jan 26, 2009) Though we at Amusement Today have known all along the identity of the Golden Nugget's new owner, we honored a request to keep the information classified until both the Morey organization and the new owner were ready to release details. Below is an exclusive announcement AT just received that finally reveals the mystery: "Given the amount of speculation occurring online and the number of phone calls we’re receiving asking the question, it’s time to acknowledge that Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysberg, Pa. has purchased the Golden Nugget track and trains from Morey’s," said Joe Muscato of Knoebels. "There are no immediate plans to install the ride at Knoebels. This is, at best, a 2010 project. Neither a final location, or design/concept have been determined. The plan is not to exactly reproduce the ride as it was at was at Morey’s Pier.
Dick Knoebel, president of Knoebels Amusement Resort, said, “I’ve always liked the Golden Nugget and we’re excited about bringing it to Knoebels but we are not going to rush the project. We want to be sure that it is restored in a manner that both acknowledges the ride’s past and looks to its future at Knoebels.”

That is the latest news about Knoebels being the future destination place for Golden Nugget. It will be interesting to see how unique of an experience the ride will be for those who have not been on it. However, the park's main focus now is to have the Flying Turns up & running for this summer, so we won't ride the Golden Nugget for next season.
Message updated 1/28/2009 8:45:24 AM by RCGenius
Hercules

1/29/2009 1:02:44 PM
I'll be there this weekend, if anyone is interested in meeting up.
mrceagle

2/2/2009 9:43:53 AM
It's great news that they will be rebuilding the ride at Knoebels. It will add another classic attraction to their list of very intriguing rides.

Herc. I hope you liked the ceremony. I heard it was a big draw. What did you get in your gift bag?
Hercules

2/2/2009 10:48:12 AM
Great event. I was one of the lucky ones that did not get a gift bag. I didn't mind though. It was a great event with a huge draw.
Cyclonic

2/4/2009 5:41:25 PM
I don't think it is Knoebels' intent to actually rebuild the ride as it was, considering they didn't retain any of the Tracy stunts for the ride. I think we will see something similar, but with their own style and flare.

---------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

The insensitivity rolls on...

"Why is our oil under their sand?"

mrceagle

2/5/2009 5:11:20 PM
As good as the Tracy stunts were and still are to a point they don't have much power now a days. They know what gags were there. a new animatronic version of things like the Giant spider, the wolf, etc woudl have more appeal these days.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics