Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author Six Flags new "No loose articles" policy
coaster05

5/11/2008 1:12:40 PM
It solves the problem of stuff falling off rides, people hanging out on the platform, improves capacity, and didn't increase the cost of people in the park who don't carry "loose" items that won't fit in pockets. All that for 1.00. I mean isn't the principle of paying to park at an event, you must drive to, that you paid for tickets to attend about the same.

This is all about the drink mugs and people needing that much soda in a day.
larrygator

5/12/2008 4:11:45 PM
Two weeks some idiot kid decides to take his hat out of his pocket and put it back on his head going up the lift hill. It flies off his head but floats near my hand on the downward hill. I fail to grab it and it then falls and rests near my feet. On the next hill the hat rises again. I grab it and then chuck it behind me past the back of the train to be lost forever.
coaster05

5/12/2008 9:16:34 PM
^That is why you are my best friend. That also continues to prove that most people are morons and should be forced to put things in lockers.
larrygator

5/13/2008 9:09:46 AM
I'm a moron also, but thanks for considering me a great friend.

I was just trying to help the economy as this fool now has to buy a new hat.
Scott

5/13/2008 9:08:08 PM
perhaps if six flags offered free lockers this fool would have put his hat in the locker?
coaster05

5/13/2008 10:18:38 PM
I give up SF is obviously evil and only cares about the money. Who cares if capacity is up, who cares if there season pass is half the cost of the other major chains. I mean just because I could rent the locker, by myself, 70 times and still be money ahead against a CF pass, this is obviously all about the money.

Seriously, it really pisses me off that I give points, but no one ever seems to justify to me why you are carrying around items that are bigger then your pocket. Just explain that to me. Why is it that so many people can do that and you can't? And why as a non giant item person do I have to stand there wasting my time, that I paid for, as people mill around the station placing their crap in bins, to then wait after the ride as they block my way as I leave the station. Please explain to me why that is more fair to me, then charging someone 1.00 for a locker.
Scott

5/14/2008 1:16:49 AM
uggh.

my apologies. I was simply joking with you...

it's hard to show sarcasm on the internet.

It is obviously the kids own fault if he decides to take the hat back out of his pocket.
coaster05

5/14/2008 6:27:12 AM
It is not really just that comment or just from you. Whenever this is discussed people get all in a tizzy about the having to pay for the locker thing, but never seem to explain why they have so much crap they need a locker. So it was not totally directed at you so my bad, I would just love to hear why people hate this policy so much, yet still go to the park AND buy enough stuff they need a locker.
coasterf42

5/14/2008 7:30:04 PM
We enthusiasts should have no problem with the policy. But just imagine if you are a "normal" human being and only go to one or two parks a year. Your not used to putting stuff in lockers. For example, when I went to BGE last year, I had no idea they started a locker policy. So, I felt cheated out of about 5 bucks.

Still, I am taking advantage of the policy as you are Coaster05 by getting a season pass, and stuffing everything down cargo pants.
coaster05

5/15/2008 6:46:52 AM
I didn't even know BGE had this policy and I was there last year. Also why aren't people in a fury over this?
taylorb251

5/15/2008 12:20:01 PM
People can pay 5 bucks but 1 dollar is just to much.
PhantomNik

5/15/2008 1:11:29 PM
This is a very interesting topic to discuss. For me, I applaud Six Flags for the idea of mandating lockers and their usage at the major coasters to eliminate the station back-ups due to people bringing everything under the sun with them into a ride line. Like coaster05, I am one who makes sure I have cargo shorts/pants that allow me to carry everything I need. When it comes to big prizes and whatnot that may be won throughout the day, the solution there is simple - take them to your car. No locker needed for that, and I cannot think of one park that doesn't allow patrons to re-enter the park after taking a trip to their vehicle. If there is one, let me know where and I'll be sure not to visit.

That all said, although I applaud the idea, I disagree with Six Flags charging customers for them. Charging for a locker to use all day is one thing. But these 2-hour or whatever lockers at the ride lines should be free, IF (and that's a biiiiig if) their only real concern (as Shapiro said it was) was improving ride capacity. You want to improve capacity? Great! Then mandate the locker usage and enforce the "no loose articles" policy. I'm sure it does wonders to the line's efficiency. But do not charge your customers to use them. To me THAT would be more in line with trying to be a more "family friendly" chain (again, those were his words, not mine).

Look, I'm not at all saying that $1 is incredibly steep. It's no skin off my nose, cause I just won't use the temporary lockers. But don't say that capacity is your real concern if at the same time you're using it to try and make a buck. To think that they weren't also trying to make a buck with this locker thing is just naieve. After all, they're a business. But how much more of an impact would it have made if Six Flags stepped up and said "You know what, we're going to try and improve things for our customers. We will mandate the use of short-term lockers at all of our major coasters, free of charge, to improve line efficiency, increase ride capacity, and therefore shorten our guests' waits in line". I'll tell you what, they'd still get the same increased capacity, but also get some positive feedback from guests who felt that, for a change, they weren't being taken over a barrel by a park.

Case in point, my trip a couple years back to Six Flags Great Adventure. I fully understand, as BobFun mentioned earlier in the thread, that discounts for admission are pretty readily available. But adding it all up, you're looking at around $40-45 to get in if you get a good discount, and then right of the bat as you pull in you are reamed for another 15 bucks just to park your car! Now you're at $60 just to step foot in the place. Oh, and do you want to ride more than 5 rides or so a day? That'll be another 40 bucks please! So, it's $100 to have a "nice" day at the park while riding plenty. And now you want to charge a buck a pop to use a locker at each major attraction? To me that just doesn't make much sense.

Like I said, the idea is a great one, I just don't think they need to charge for it. But, the option is pretty simple really. If, like me, you don't agree with them charging for them, then don't use them. Make trips to the car or carry only what you need. And to those who pay for and use them, that's fine too. It'll still help reduce lines that I found to be pretty terrible (since I didn't fork over the dough for a Flash-Pass).

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
Animan1

5/16/2008 11:38:10 AM
My two cents: I am not a big fan of this policy. I usually take a small (note emphasis) bag with me to parks, in which I keep my sunglasses/regular glasses (whichever one I am not wearing at the time), my camera (a small point-and-shoot model) and an energy bar to defer eating a significant quantity of food until after leaving the park. I never carry the large items that have been mentioned repeatedly in this thread as begin annoying (giant animals and balls, large souvenir cups, etc.). If I stop at a store, I visit it on the way out of the park, so I have no shopping either. Bascially, just my essentials for a full day. Now, given this new policy, my small bag will in all likelihood not be permitted. In the past when I have utilized bins, my bag has taken up almost no room and has taken me virtually no time to remove at the end of the ride.

How does my situation fit in with the views expressed thus far by those of you that support this policy?

Quote:
coaster05 said:
...instead of crying about on TPR and TPC.

I do have an issue with this...you have consistently presented yourself as someone who does not mind other people expressing their opinions, as long as you are able to express yours. This I agree with, but then you make a commment like this, which would indicate to me that you don't feel that people should make an issue out of this policy. Maybe I am simply misinterpreting your comment, but it doesn't seem to be in line with what you generally profess to believe.

Also, I feel compelled to make mention of my disagreement with larry's dismissal of the guest's hat on the coaster. Although the decision to wear it was almost assuredly one of stupidity and arrogance on the part of the individual, if physics permitted that the hat remain with the train, I cannot support the intentional disposal of the hat by a person who had no business passing judgement on the situation. Wouldn't it have made you (larry) feel better to just give the guy his hat back?

--------------------
"Impossibility is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Coaster Count: 96
coaster05

5/16/2008 1:44:06 PM
Larry did the right thing because the kid/adult was a moron. Had the hat blown off and hit Larry in the face would it have still not been his problem. IMO kids like that is why you are seeing these new "no loose article policy". So the same policy you don't agree with you also feel should be allowed because the hat lucked out and stayed on the ride although it became a hazard.

Now for your locker issue. Am I safe to assume the bag you mention is one of those "string" type backpack things. If so I have used those in the past in Spain. If it has two sets of glasses, an energy bar, and a camera these could Easily fit into your pocket. I would put hte camera in my left cargo pocket, then roll the bag around the other three items and put them in the right. Again my wife and I constantly go to parks and work around these rules all the time. She wears glasses, we always have a camera, I also wear a hat that can easily be put in my pocket. I would think the amount of space needed is similar. Is this the most convient yes and no. It is a pain to do that before rides, however I also hate slow dispatchs so I have learned to work around it.

As far as your quote of me, if you are going to do that then quote the whole sentence not just a fragment.

I said "If enough people agree with you then they will change the policy, or write SF a letter instead of crying about it on TPR or TPC" How is that not listening to their opinion? I didn't say they were wrong, but just crying about it on a website that has NO relation to the park whose policy you have trouble with is a waste of time. They may be right, but only airing it on TPR or here will not get in changed. That it what I was saying, course picking just a part of my sentence made it a whole lot easier for you to call me out, so I hope you feel better.
Message updated 5/16/2008 1:54:49 PM by coaster05
larrygator

5/16/2008 5:02:07 PM
My initial thought was to give the hat back and that is why I tried to grab it in the first place. Then I realized that if the bill of the cap had hit someone in the eye (especially my friend's daughter who has sitting two seats away for me) it would not have been a pretty scene. Yes, my conscence says I should given it back, but I was upset at the thought of an injury that could have happened so I did what I did.
Animan1

5/16/2008 6:16:46 PM
I don't want to take up a lot of space quoting both of the above two posts directly, so I'll just reply.

Larry - Thanks for the elaboration on the hat thing. It isn't my job to pass judgement anyway, but I have a greater appreciation for your action now that I understand your reasoning better.

Rich - See my reply to larry for my response to your first paragraph. Regarding the bag, it is actually a small "satchel" that can be hung over the shoulder (like an extremely compact messenger bag). I have not adapted to the art of wearing cargo shorts as you have, so although I have pockets, they are not of the same nature. Good for you in preparing adequately attire wise.

As for the partial quote of your statement, offense was not my intent. I did (and still do) not consider the rest of the statement as pertaining to the issue that I raised. I now better understand your intent behind the statement, in that you were suggesting that people complain to a more constructive medium, but I still do not understand the sometimes conflicting positions you adopt on the issue of voicing one's opinion (because my statements are never in conflict with one another...). Regardless, thanks for the clarification.
coaster05

5/16/2008 7:22:05 PM
Just because I don't agree or call it whining doesn't mean I don't listen and appreciate someone elases opinion. However I can see my brashness on this issue, since I really think it is something that can be totally eliminated with just a little pre planning. I highly recomend a pair of cargo shorts, even if you only wear them to the park. It is amazing what can be crammed in there.
ginzo

5/16/2008 10:51:43 PM
Ugh. Not this god awful topic again! Only girls cry about stuff like this. Stop being such petulant little jerks and pony up your buck or Uncle Shapiro will never build another El Toro.
coaster05

5/30/2008 7:40:55 PM
I am curious for all the people who said this was all about the money, what is your response to the DROP in admission costs?
Scott

5/31/2008 11:52:00 PM
quick thought here -

when I was riding El-Toro over memorial day weekend, a girl's cell phone flew out of her pocket on the first drop, and smashed to the ground somewhere near the coaster.

I have to wonder if this would not have occured if storage bins had been provided.

Coaster05, you like to argue that people should be able to carry all of their items in their pockets. This girl was doing as you suggested, and ended up having her phone fly away. Would this have occured if bins were provided? This is why I think it makes sense to provide bins. It seems unecessary to have to rent a locker to store a cell phone.

As for the drop in admission prices - good job six flags
coaster05

6/1/2008 12:25:45 AM
I wasn't there so I can't say if she had it in her pocket or not. Girls pants a lot of the time have much shallower pockets and those pockets are never as secure as cargo pockets. Look no matter what they do these things are going to happen. Even when bins are provided a lot of people never use them due to fear of theft, etc. I also have to say a 1.00 locker probably seems like a great bargain to her now.
BobFunland

6/1/2008 8:00:57 AM
Quote:
Scott said:
I have to wonder if this would not have occured if storage bins had been provided.

I say yes, because I personally don't like leaving my camera or phone or keys sitting on the loading dock, at least if there are multiple trains running. And DEFINITELY not at a park like Great Adventure. Heck, last year someone took my phone out of a storage bin at PKI because they thought it was their's
taylorb251

6/1/2008 7:25:15 PM
^ I agree. I would not leave my cell phone in a bin that everyone can see. I carry mine in my camera case that I carry over my shoulder and chest or in my wifes little purse thing. I would not leave it in a bin, it cost to much.
larrygator

6/2/2008 11:41:50 AM
If I do not have zippered pocket and need to carry a cell phone, I put it in an eye glass case and hook it to my pants with a carbiner. But the general public does not thnk of such tactics.

I would guess the majority of people keep cell phones in their pockets. I rarely used to see them in the bins.
ginzo

6/2/2008 10:26:45 PM
^Yeah, zippered pockets ain't flying open. Assuming that nobody was injured, I think it's awesome that El Toro destroyed that girl's cell phone. It just makes me love that ride more. Isn't that the entire point of El Toro? You hold on for dear life while riding a wild, bucking bull?
Horizons12

6/5/2008 11:53:47 PM
^ it is awesome.

I like how these minor mishaps make rides more attractive. Shoot, if I heard something like "a cell phone in someone's front pocket on Kingda Ka was crushed a bit by wind sheer," well then I'd think that Kingda Ka was much more awesome.
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics