Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author S&S Debate
Axman

3/1/2007 8:48:51 PM
S&S towers support a massive chunk of the world's drop/launch tower rides. Everone has their favorite, and I want to know which one is the best. The only problem, is that they seem to change power over the period of their existance.

This is a perfect example:

I rode Dr. Doom in 1999, right after IOA opened. Both me and my Dad were in awe of ther raw power and pain that ride produced. It was the most powerfull S&S tower I had been on. After we went back in '06, the ride had been significantly toned down. Both me, and my Dad could tell. We had seen this happen at other parks, and hoped the Universal would be smarter than to butcher their tower. Unfortunately, it was not so.

It seems, like every tower ride was more powerfull when it opened, and then was toned down, due to the concent of wussy riders. Some people think that CP's Dominator, *scribbles through "Dominator"* Power Tower is the best, but it was totally tame. The same goes for other parks' towers.

Can anybody decifer which tower is currently the most thrilling? Of all of the S&S towers that I've been on (granted, the time in which I rode each one varies), I still think Doom is probably the best.

I need other concent, because knowing where the best tower is, could be handy information.
Message updated 3/2/2007 8:12:41 PM by Axman
Got_it

3/1/2007 9:42:49 PM
I haven't been on too many, I like Down Time at LC it's a decent hight and the themeing is pretty good, it's kind of hard to theme a big metal pole. I don't remember it too much, as I was 8 when SFNE was still riverside, but I remember Hellevator being red I think, plus the name is much better then Scream.
Axman

3/2/2007 12:44:55 AM
Hellevator is actually not an S&S, but an Intiman Giant Drop. Scream, however, is an S&S. The easiest ways to tell them apart, it that Giant drops are round, and consist of 2-8 seperate, 4-seater cars, while S&S towers are squares, and have one, single car that surrounds the whole tower. Also, S&S towers are capable of being shot, from the bottom up, or from the top down. Giant Drops can only freefall, by the weight of the cars.

I agree with you, though, Scream is a stupid name. As is the "Scream" at SFMM.
Got_it

3/2/2007 1:41:28 AM
Ehh... I don't know about that I'm pretty sure the South East tower is the original Hellevator, and I know one of them is.
RCGenius

3/2/2007 8:12:44 AM
If you're looking for a great S&S Tower, you should definitely try out the Power Tower at Cedar Point. It stands 300 feet high (even though it only shoots you up 240 feet in the air), but the launch's crazy & you'll have an amazing view of America's Roller Coast. I know I enjoyed it. BTW, Cedar Point's S&S tower ride's Power Tower, not Dominator, which's Dorney's S&S tower.
taylorb251

3/2/2007 10:33:49 AM
I like the drop Zone at KI.
Axman

3/2/2007 8:20:40 PM
^^ I though that the view was awsome, too. The launch side was pretty tame, though. The drop was actually pretty scary. It felt wierd, being at the top of that thing. Waitin' up there, with all of the crazy hovering structure overhead. Creepy, really. It gave me a shocking sense of unease. I fell much, much better, once we started falling.

^ Drop Zone at KI was cool. It was my very first roto drop (It's an Intiman, not an S&S, by the way). It felt sort of slow. I rode it after the child died at PGA's Drop Zone, and it had been tamed down.

Speaking of Great America's Drop Zone, that ride is unmerciful. GA was one of my home parks, 6 years ago, and I rode the hell out of that thing. It is, to this day, the most wretchedly awsome ride i've ever been on! Granted it's an Intiman Giant Drop. No S&S could deliver such gut-busting pain!

Here's the two kinds of towers in discussion. The 4-pronged on (CP's Power Tower) is an exapmle if S&S's work. Drop Zone is a perfect example (and in my opinion, there best) of a "Giant Drop".

Message updated 3/2/2007 8:25:59 PM by Axman
mrceagle

3/4/2007 12:05:40 AM
Quote:
Axman said:
Hellevator is actually not an S&S, but an Intiman Giant Drop. Scream, however, is an S&S. The easiest ways to tell them apart, it that Giant drops are round, and consist of 2-8 seperate, 4-seater cars, while S&S towers are squares, and have one, single car that surrounds the whole tower. Also, S&S towers are capable of being shot, from the bottom up, or from the top down. Giant Drops can only freefall, by the weight of the cars.

I agree with you, though, Scream is a stupid name. As is the "Scream" at SFMM.

NO you're Wrong. Helivator at Riverside now SFNE is an S&S Turbo Drop. When They Flagged the park they added 2 Combo Towers and changed the now 3 tower system to Scream. The Hellivator at SFSL which was apparently renamed Superman Tower of Power for 2007 is an Intamin Drop Tower.

As for best tower rides. I have not been on an Intamin. S&S is better then a number of the Other companies.

Best View - Dragons Descent Funtown USA Saco main. Can see miles of cost line From this 220 ft Turbo Drop.

Most Thrilling(Double Shots)- Star blaster Canobie Lake Park Salem, NH. These towers aren't tall but they pack a hell of a punch.

Best Kiddie/Family- (Moser Spring ride)- Lake Compounce Bristol, CT. For a kiddie tower they are a lot of fun. Solid movement and some good pops.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
Axman

3/4/2007 12:28:11 AM
^No, YOU'RE WRONG! I'm talking about the Hellevator at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. It is an Intiman. You're probably right about the SFNE stuff; i've never been there. The Superman tower at Six Flags St. Louis was origonaly going to be Achraphobia, not Hellevator.
mrceagle

3/6/2007 11:22:53 PM
Quote:
Axman said:
^No, YOU'RE WRONG! I'm talking about the Hellevator at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. It is an Intiman. You're probably right about the SFNE stuff; i've never been there. The Superman tower at Six Flags St. Louis was origonaly going to be Achraphobia, not Hellevator.

My apologies I said SFSL not SFKK. But Got_it was talking about SFNE. it is said in his post so he was never wrong you were. He is from CT.
Axman

3/7/2007 12:09:47 AM
I didn't know that there was an other Hellevator. I live in TN, so KK is pretty close to home. I thought it was the only one.
Got_it

3/7/2007 1:19:36 AM
Yeah, but then it got two neighbors and was re-branded Scream. Too bad it's a stupid name.
mrceagle

3/7/2007 5:57:41 PM
It's not the only one to have the name. Just the only one at the time they called it that. SFI has a tendency to change names often.
tacoking

3/19/2007 7:05:57 PM
Quote:
Axman said:
I rode Dr. Doom in 1999, right after IOA opened. Both me and my Dad were in awe of ther raw power and pain that ride produced. It was the most powerfull S&S tower I had been on. After we went back in '06, the ride had been significantly toned down. Both me, and my Dad could tell. We had seen this happen at other parks, and hoped the Universal would be smarter than to butcher their tower. Unfortunately, it was not so.

Interesting. I haven't been able to tell a difference in the ride over the years, although I don't believe my first ride on Doom was until late '02 or early '03.

--------------------

Airtime Central Forums
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics