Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Halloween Horror Nights - Universal Hollywood
robbalvey

10/15/2006 1:29:24 PM
Hey everyone!

Friday the 13th, 2006 was opening night for the return of Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood, and Theme Park Review was at the media party for the event!

Overall, the park did a really great job dressing up for Halloween. The two mazes were good and the scare zones were GREAT! Especially the scare zones walking through the Bates Motel, Psycho House, War of the Worlds set, and the Grinch area.

Lots of cool characters who were obviously having a great time with the crowd and it was nice to see the characters using environment effects and power tools to scare instead of the typical "shaker cans" you find at other similar haunts.

The only real negative is that we wanted more! That and they REALLY need the Bill & Ted show. If I had to compare the two California special ticket events, I felt it's WAY above Knott's event in all areas just not in "quantity."

Knott's event, IMO is still the best of the "home brew garage haunted houses" filled with shaker cans, black lit paint, and make-shift costumes. Universal puts on a much higher quality event with real special effects like fire and "environmental scares", film studios sets and make up. Personally, I'd rather have quality over quantity. I like the Knott's event, and I recommend it to people coming to California, but for me it's more of a "once every 5 years event" because of all the repeat houses, which is my biggest complain with Haunt, while HHN (at least the Orlando version) is new every year. Personally, I don't need to see "Hatchet High" 6 years in a row....Been there, done that...year after year after year after year.....give me something NEW for my $50 ticket.

Hopefully as the Hollywood event evolves over the years we'll see more walk-thru attractions and scare zones to fill that void, and hopefully they'll follow suit like Orlando and offer new experiences every year.

Anyway, we have posted three pages of photos and a brand new VIDEO!!! Here's a few to hold you over:

Yeah, the director was watching over us, and even though he looked like Wes, we didn't mess around with this psycho nearby.

Electrocuted clowns....NICE!

This is the ONLY action Mike got all night.

It wouldn't be a Halloween Horror Nights without "chainsaw guys".....

or FIRE!!!! HHN is known for having kick ass fire effects!

This highlight of the trip was getting to walk up to the Psycho house!

"Hey baby...wanna spend the night in a motel?"

Hmm...this room seems to occupied...maybe we should try the next one....

Wow! Now THAT looks like a hell of a party!!!

The Mummy deep in thought....

Sorry clowns. You weren't funny. You need to be replaced with Bill & Ted! Maybe next year?

She was HOT! I'm sure she was very popular with the football zombies.

Anyway, the full update is here:
Theme Park Review's HHN Hollywood 2006 Photo Update:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/hhn-hollywo...-hollywood1.htm

And I really think our video gives a GREAT idea of what the event is like:
Theme Park Review's
BobFunland

10/15/2006 4:34:18 PM
The best part had to be the tram operator saying "you know what I'm talking about" to Jahan
Hercules

10/19/2006 6:47:31 PM
Wow. Talk about so much crappier than Orlando. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics