Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Riding Styles
Horizons12

9/2/2006 12:30:07 AM
There are some coaster/flatrides where I have a certain way of riding to prevent headbanging, uncomfortable moves, or simply flying off the ride in some cases.

For example, On Scream Machine at SFGAdv, I always hold onto the area just above the handles on the harness, it's good to limit headbanging. I also know to tilt my head down a bit when the train slams into the second loop (if your near the back mainly) and to stablize myself more when going through that bad turn before the corkscrews.

On the Astroland Breakdance, I hold on with both hands and push my feet up against that slanted front part of the car. I do this so I won't be thrown off the ride because it's so freaking viscious!

Do any of you have little riding styles or tips like that for that matter? Who knows! It may actually help someone!

--------------------
"if it is just us, it seems like an awful waste of space." -Contact

Visit my website
The Domain of Death III
Visit my OTHER web site!
Hit by Pitch!, Documenting all the poor saps plunked in the MLB!

Conservatives: Corruption is all they know!
RCGenius

9/2/2006 6:24:55 AM
On the Wildcat at Hersheypark, I lean a lil bit towards the front of my seat so my back won't get all banged up throughout the ride. It also lessens the impact of considering the Wildcat as a rough coaster. It really makes for a far smoother wooden coaster experience.

On Thunderhawk, I lean to the opposite side of wherever the turns are so that I won't get slammed to the other side. It sorta embraces the pain you might get from whipping around the turns.

On Magnum XL-200 (this is only for tall people though), try to scrunch down a lil bit in your seat in order to embrace the pain your knees will get. Trust me. I had a better 2nd ride on it last year than my first ride because I sorta scrunched down in my seat & the whole experience was a lot better.
nyeboy9

9/2/2006 6:43:04 PM
On Tennessee Tornado, try to keep your head still at all times or it will just bang all over the place after the first loop. Also try to push yourself in the back of the seat after the final loop or you'll be thrown into the restraints when it goes into the break run. Guys especially

Timberman

9/3/2006 8:14:44 PM
On wooden coasters, I keep my hands up and go with the flow. Sometimes this is difficult, as on the last car of the Cyclone or anywhere on SOB, but I find that if you try to fight a wooden coaster by bracing yourself, you're only going to take a worse beating. Sometimes, as on Rolling Thunder, I'll also kind of crouch above the seat, use my legs as shock-asorbers, and sort of surf the course. This only works, however, if you're skinny enough not to be pinned by the restraints.

For Arrow loopers, I keep my head back against the headrest, brace my feet on the floor, push myself up with my feet so the tops of shoulders are tight against the restraints, and keep the lower parts of my arms up. I don't know how I came to this technique, but except for the original Steel Phantom (which crippled me for about four days), I've never had any problems with any seat on an Arrow looper. I think the problems that most people encounter come from trying to pull the restraints down on themselves, when instead they should be pushing themselves up against the restraints.

For Vekoma SLCs and Boomerangs, I sit up straight, close the restraint as far as it will go, keep my head against the headrest, and brace my shoulders against the restraints by pushing up with my forearms. I've never had any problems with these, either.

On TTD, I throw my hands up just after the launch, and keep them up throughout the ride. You really don't have much to grab onto anyway.

You have to be very careful, however, about holding your hands up on Galaxies and on the Looping Coaster at Funtown Pier in Seaside Heights. You could probably loose some fingers in the helices of those things.

Please note that I'm not recommending the above techniques to anyone else; these are just habits (some of them bad) that I've developed personally. Obey all park rules and enjoy the rides.
Horizons12

9/3/2006 10:15:46 PM
I would never put my hands up on Skull Mountain. Theres another riding style lol. On most steel looping coasters, barring ultra rough ones (except for an SLC), I usually just rest my hands on my legs. On a woodie I throw them up in the air.
tacoking

9/11/2006 8:28:39 PM
If it's an arrow looper I "go with the flow" so my head is already at the side so I don't get slammed to the side and have my face bashed in.

Other than that, I don't have to worry about roughness and changing riding styles since my state is full of B&Ms. Pretty much the same style on all the rides...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics