Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Silver Dollar City
Scott

8/2/2006 4:35:23 PM
We visited in mid june. The temperatures were in the mid 70's, with little humidity. Our Day was perfect.

Silver Dollar City is as close as you can get to taking a step back in time, back to the days when roving bandits, called Baldknobbers, ruled the area with their brand of vigilante justice. To fully understand and appreciate Silver Dollar City, you need to understand the historical significance of this area.

"Taney county in Missouri was home to some of the most vicious fighting of the Civil War. By the end of the war, no more than 50 people lived there. Government had ceased to function and anarchy ruled the area. Taney county would remain this way for the next two decades. The homestead act led to an influx of citizens, and by 1885 over 6000 citizens had moved into the county. These new citizens demanded law and order, but locals were used to turning their heads to criminal activity. Taney County became known as a haven for outlaws, who also flocked to the area, and in the 20 years after the Civil War over 40 recorded murders took place without a single man being convicted.

Fed up with lawlessness, a small group of citizens banded together and formed a secret society, one that would do what the government had failed to do: protect the citizens of the area. This vigilante group became known as the Baldknobbers, so named for the bald mountains, or knobs, where their secret meetings were held. The Baldknobbers' swift brand of vigilante justice included murder and quickly inspired fear among local outlaws, but also brought outrage from local citizens who decryed the complete breakdown of law and order in Taney County. Eventually Governor Marmaduke ordered the group to disband.

The original band of Baldknobbers did, in fact, die out, but their notoriety inspired offshoots in other counties, who also took the name of Baldknobbers, and whose reputations were much worse. The Christian County Baldknobbers gained the most notoriety and, unlike the original Taney County Baldknobbers, this group soon degenerated into a true vigilante group, searching for excitement rather than righting wrongs. The mask they wore has become associated with all Baldknobbers. It was a black skull, with holes cut out for the eyes, nose and mouth, and had red horns at the top. This gruesome mask terrified citizens who were victims of the Baldknobbers. Eventually the government intervened and put an end to these roving lawless bandits, but the reputation of the Baldknobbers was sealed. The events were front page news in papers across the country and gave outsiders the impression that the hillbillys of the Ozarks were a violent breed. In reality the Baldknobbers were not much different than many other vigilante groups that sprang up all over the country after the Civil War. The legend of the Baldknobbers lives on in the Ozarks through novels like The Shepherd of the Hills and, of course, at Silver Dollar City."

There are too many historical things in the park to mention, but the one thing that stands out in this park is that nothing in this park stands out. Everything seems in place. The attention to detail is so overwhelming that you could spend the whole day just walking around looking at all the houses and buildings and walkways and bridges and paths and historical pieces and the astounding attention to detail, right down to the last car on Powder Keg. I feel so sorry for people who come here with tunnel-vision, running only from ride to ride without paying any attention at all to the amazing aesthetics that surround them. Every ride is incorporated into the park so well that it looks like it has been there always, like it would be ridiculous for it NOT to be there!

There were times when Sara and I found ourselves standing right next to a ride entrance and not even knowing it! The landscaping and design of the park is so intricate that it's very easy to lose yourself in the environment and find yourself lost without any sense of direct
BobFunland

8/2/2006 5:12:55 PM
WOW, fantastic Trip Report. Seriously, one of the best I have ever read... no wonder it took a while, it was worth it!

Have you ever been to Dollywood? To me, a lot of the details you recalled (which were written extremely well) sound familiar, yet the enthusiasm bleeding from my monitor also makes me guess you are a first timer to a Herschend park. "Eat your way through the park" is exactly what I do every time I do Dollywood, and why SDC is perhaps the highest on my list of domestic parks to visit. I could go the entire day and not ride anything, yet still feel great. You are right about the staff being world-class and the clientelle being unheard of... great synopsis of the park.

Have fun in CA!

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
hrrytraver

8/2/2006 5:26:55 PM
i have to agree, scott. very good report.

i appreciate when people put their visits into a broader context, which you did on several levels.
Scott

8/2/2006 10:52:29 PM
^^ unfortunatly, I have not been to dollywood. I would love to visit it, but I don't think it will happen for another couple of years.
Animan1

8/3/2006 8:06:15 PM
GREAT report, Scott. Like Bob said, one of the best I've read. Nice balance between being detailed and not boring the reader (which I sometimes feel I tend to do, unfortunately), and it's great that you also enjoyed the park so much. I can just feel your enthusiasm reading the report, which is great. Definitely makes me more interested in the park, and for more reasons than I would have ever imagined (i.e. the atmosphere, staff, history, etc.). Great job once again.
RCGenius

8/3/2006 8:33:37 PM
Extraordinary TR report Scott. This is without a doubt one of the best TRs I've ever read. It sounded like you had such an amazing time at a very underrated park. The experience you pointed out also makes me feel like it's a Knoebels-type park & I've researched all of their rides & they all look like great fun for everyone. Don't even get me started with the food topic. Reading all of the different varieties of food SDC has to offer made my mouth water like crazy man. If only I didn't live so far in the East Coast because I would've definitely made an attempt to visit Silver Dollar City & enjoy the unique park experience. Maybe someday in my life I'll try to make it out there at least once.
larrygator

8/4/2006 4:44:46 PM
Scott - thanks for bringing to life a park I hope to visit someday, I just hope I can find your TR again when I plan the trip to Mizzou
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics