Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author B&M Hypers
metal420

7/10/2006 10:02:58 PM
I've heard such great things about Goliath at SFOG and I just have to ask the general opinion from you guys. How does it rank compared to Nitro, Raging Bull, and Apollo's Chariot? In you response, only list the one's you've ridden and please don't post unless you've ridden more than one B&M hyper. I've only ridden Nitro so I'm not sure how anything compares to it.
larrygator

7/11/2006 12:10:00 AM
I think BobFunLand and Cyclonic are the only two on this site that ridden all 4 B&Ms you mention. Here is a direct quote from BFL regarding Goliath:

#10. Posted by BobFunland on Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 12:14:16 PM
I, too, think it edges out Apollo's and Nitro, and just flat kills Raging Bull.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
BobFunland

7/11/2006 12:27:34 AM
First off, my apologies to Larry. I am updating my review as I speak, quite frankly I had just been lazy about it.

I think it an Nitro are two very, very good rides. Though they are both BM hypers, they are also quite different and good in their own ways. Both are tremendous rides, and they will probably tie for my #1 coaster in this year's steel poll after getting a couple of great rides this past week. I had ridden Goliath just a couple days prior and felt that it still holds strong against the other B&M hypers I have been on. Ride it, if you like Nitro, you'll like Goliath. As for which you pick, that will be a tossup.

Raging Bull isn't as good as any of the others, IMO. It barely deserves to be mentioned with the rest.

Apollo's Chariot, though I don't have the best memory of it some 15 months later, is also up there and probably places a very close third in my mind. What probably hurts it the most here is that its been so long since I've ridden it.

However, a lot of people I've talked to over the past few months seem to prefer Goliath by a sizable margin over the other B&M hypers. I don't think its an above-and-beyond winner, but I think it stands strong. Then again, a lot of these folks don't care for B&M hypers to begin with
MovieCoast

7/11/2006 10:51:20 AM
I have only been on one B&M Hyper (Apollo's Chariot), and it is my favorite hyper. From what I've read about the other B&M's, they are airtime machines, and Apollo's Chariot was no exception. I think a lot of people would prefer B&Ms.

--------------------
"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

Coaster Count: 60
RCGenius

7/11/2006 4:52:31 PM
Not as much as if they were to be compared to Intamin hypers. They're the leaders in terms of being airtime monsters since a lot of them (Mostly Superman: Ride of Steel at SFA, SFDL, & SFNE) has some crazy ejector airtime. Most B&M hypers focus on floater airtime. There are a few exceptions though.
Danny

7/11/2006 5:39:21 PM
The air on Apollo's Chariot is way better than the air on Superman: Ride of Steel at SFDL.
larrygator

7/11/2006 6:13:17 PM
Quote:
metal420 said:
please don't post unless you've ridden more than one B&M hyper.
CoastrGlxy

7/12/2006 2:36:22 PM
I agree with Danny even though he wasn't "supposed" to post. While I think S:ROS @ SFNE is the BEST coaster I've ridden (but not my all-time favorite) I wouldn't say that Intamin makes airtime monsters. The S:ROS in New England IS an airtime monster, but the other Superman's (at SFA and SFDL) couldn't carry Nitro or AC's jock. If coasters wore jocks.
CoastrGlxy

7/12/2006 2:50:45 PM
Back to Goliath, I haven't ridden it. I love steel coasters, height, speed, and above all else B&M's. But I think the location of this coaster turns me off a bit. I'm big on coasters interracting with terrain or being in interesting locations. Nitro and Apollo's Chariot are great I'm sure Goliath is at least on par. I just wish they would've put it in the woods. If you ask me, ever coaster should be in dense wooded forest, over a lake, or on the side of mountain. I'd give a Vekoma SLC a high rating if it was in a forrest.............not really.

--------------------
Check out my blog at: [URL=http://coastercritic.blogspot.com]TheCoasterCritic.com[/URL]
Message updated 7/12/2006 2:51:54 PM by CoastrGlxy
Animan1

7/12/2006 8:02:04 PM
I have been on Raging Bull and Apollo's Chariot, and although I originally put Apollo's ahead after riding them both, I have now put Raging Bull in front after my last visit to SFGAm. It was just ripping it up so well that it is hard for any coaster to compare, really, even Apollo's Chariot.

Now all the Raging Bull dissers can jump on me.
Scott

7/12/2006 8:59:06 PM
I really loved raging bull. I rode it pre trim... I have no idea how it is today.
Animan1

7/13/2006 8:01:29 AM
Even with the trim on the 3rd hill, it still manages to provide great floater air over the top. And although it was turned up fairly high this past visit, the coaster was still running faster than I can remember it ever running before.
BobFunland

7/13/2006 4:33:37 PM
The trim disappoints big time - it could be such a better ride.

I'm just not a fan of anything about the ride other than the awesome B&M trains and the first drop, which I think is the best

A brief synopsis of Ragin Bull:
1st drop - weee! Lots of floating off my ass
High Banked turnaround - uh, ok I guess...
Third hill - trimmed which kills possibility of forceful air, left with just a little floating
Fourth hill - um, its banked and it turns at the top so there's virtually no air
Fifth Hill - another high banked turn, ok these are getting kind of old, give me airtime
Midcourse - meh
Sixth + Seventh hills - wee, good air on the first ok on the second
Rest of ride - a bunch of low turns that are pretty "meh"
Brake run - it's over, a lot of people look pissed (stolen from Family Guy's reference to Blair Witch Project)

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 7/13/2006 4:33:52 PM by BobFunland
Animan1

7/14/2006 8:15:25 AM
In my view, you have too high of expectations for a hyper-twister in terms of airtime. RB isn't supposed to have the kind of airtime that Apollo and Nitro have. My experience is that if you are in a relaxed state with your hands up and your legs out, the ride provides you with a great variety of floating sensations (that sounds a bit wrong...)You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but...I do feel that you may have missed the "point" of the ride, so-to-speak.
larrygator

7/14/2006 11:56:38 AM
and that is my fundamental problem with Raging Bull. B&M Hypers should provide air, while it is not that terrible a ride, the B&M hypers that provide air are considerably better in my book
Message updated 7/17/2006 2:49:11 PM by larrygator
BobFunland

7/14/2006 4:23:05 PM
Yup - I don't think I missed the point at all, nor did I miss the point of Goliath out west. Both are fun rides but neither are as good as their counterparts. "Hyper-twisters" are just lame to me
Message updated 7/14/2006 4:23:21 PM by BobFunland
Animan1

7/17/2006 11:06:33 AM
Eh, whatever floats your boat...I love both Apollo's and Raging Bull, so I at least am set.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics