Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Strongest & Weakest Coaster Ending?
RCGenius

6/20/2006 6:10:12 AM
What coasters do ya'll think has the strongest & weakest finale of the ride ever? I think that Raptor has the strongest coaster ending because that ride never gives up its relentless speed, even after the MCBs. The double helix at the end's just full of pure intensity & I love it. The weakest coaster ending to me's Storm Runner because all it does is a S-turn taken at a crazy high speed & that's it. I still think that SR could've had some more track for at least 1000 feet long because the speed at the end can last for a very long time. I'm only choosing coasters that I've been on before, but ya'll don't have to do that this time.
mrceagle

6/20/2006 6:20:48 PM
Strongest:
It's a toss up of Superman(SFNE) and Medusa(SFGAdv) they bough are filled with turn a bit of air time and create a great ending to already great rides.

Weakest:
Excalibur at Funtown Splashtown. over all its a good coaster but the ending of the ride is just two slow and leave little to be desired. I've head they have reworked it but don't know it it's any better now.
hrrytraver

6/20/2006 7:22:55 PM
i'll just fire off a few things from the top o my head.

strongest
actually the corkscrew at the end of joker's jinx is near perfect. that ride has such a confusing layout, i didn't see that coming at all. you're upside down and then half a second later on the brakes.

the final bunny hop run to the brakes of phoenix totally kills. it's downright silly the cartoon ejector air there.

the huge drop before the brakes on thunderbolt is pure magic. at night is magnificent.

back in the day, the massive helix tunnel ending of the beast was the most dramatic, loud, unholy, vibratory, punishing lateral g-force finale imaginable.

magnum's final tunnel is an unforgettable sneak attack.

hershey wildcat seems to speed up before the brake run and has perhaps it's fastest turn and a little air too right at the end.

weakest

hershey comet's final bunny hill section has always been dull as long as i remember.

the final plunge into the volcano on the uh...volcano, is a great thing in itself, but it's very upsetting. who wants to go into brakes 3/4 of the way down a fast drop? unfortunately that ride "just" misses greatness in other ways too.

i never much cared for everything after the second lift on loch ness monster. it is just a small drop, loop, station. the visual of the interlocking loop is great, but the ride experience finishes for me after the helix.

BobFunland

6/20/2006 8:33:53 PM
Silver Comet's ending comes to mind - the dive into the banked turn on the ground, that one nice bunny hop and full-power slam into the brake run as if it still had 800 feet to go is really sweet. It leaves a great impression when getting off, because if not for the terrific ending, the rider would be overwhelmed with thoughts of the fairly tame middle section of the ride.

The ending on Lightning Racer can be awesome, but only if your siren is flashing

Mummy has a cool ending.. both of them!

On the flip side, Sheikra is lame after the water splash. Hydra is pretty lame after the cobra roll too. Way to go B&Ms of 2005!

Oh, semi-rlated, Rampage has the greatest section between the final brake run and the station
viking78

6/22/2006 12:04:35 AM
Big Bad Wolf has a GREAT ending. Plummeting out of control over the Rhine river.

Off the top of my head Storm Runner for great opening. That first 15 seconds is insane.

sfo1

6/22/2006 12:11:13 AM
Millenium Force has a relatively weak ending, in my opinion. I awarded this attraction a 10, but in hindsight, it was actually a slight bit of a dissapointment. I expected an intense, airtime - generous, untaimable beast, but was let down on airtime. The bunny hops and airtime hills definately could have delivered more.

Don't get me wrong, I admire MF, but I can't help but notice a few letdowns.

The strongest ending, in my opinion, is Dominator. After the MCBR, you enter some intense interlocked corkscrews, and a few tight - but - intense curving menuevers, and an initial good pounding into the breaks.
Danny

6/22/2006 1:39:36 AM
I agree about MF lacking airtime. Anyway, I couldn't think of any real weak endings, but here are some that I think are very strong:

Thunderbolt (The final two drops are great)
Magnum XL-200 (Bunny hills are just brilliant)
Big Bad Wolf (Final drop over the Rhine River is quite frightening)
Apollo's Chariot (That final hill that kinda goes underground is just awesome)
Scott

6/22/2006 5:22:36 PM
Strongest Start- TTD, Xcelerator, Storm runner, etc, etc.

Weakest ending- Hulk (sorry hulk lovers) Hydra, Mummy (WTF?) and Mamba at worlds of fun.
RCGenius

6/22/2006 8:22:20 PM
Quote:
Scott said:
Strongest Start- TTD, Xcelerator, Storm runner, etc, etc.

Scott, I'm talking about coasters with a strong ending, not a strong start to it. In my point of view, I think that all of the coasters above, except for Xcelerator, have weak coaster endings. TTD because of its straight track & I already explained Storm Runner's weak ending.

Scott

6/22/2006 9:12:12 PM
Oh, hello. Sorry, I misread that

Anyhow, Strongest endings- Magnum, AC
larrygator

6/23/2006 12:01:20 AM
strongest ending - Avalanche at Timber Falls. Although as BFL said Silver Comet is a good one

weakest ending - Megaphobia at Oakwood, I didn't think the train would make it back into the station
sfo1

6/23/2006 1:19:58 AM
Out of curiosity, how was Megaphobia, overall, larrygator?

I looked it up on RCDB today and it sparked my interest, being a CCI and only 88' tall I do believe...
larrygator

6/23/2006 12:17:35 PM
Megaphobia was weak, the biggest disappointment of the trip. I would only rate it a 7 out of ten.

Many on the trip that rode it previously said it is only a shell of it's former self.
iScream

7/2/2006 6:56:58 PM
Weakest Ending: Anaconda. The ride is great(very cool being over water)...until the MCB. The rest of the ride is painful and slow.
mrceagle

7/3/2006 10:38:42 PM
Quote:
rush2112 said:
yeah, excalibur has a great 2 drops but then loses it to a point. i like to go on this every now and then to get my "fix" for coasters since it's right down the street though

Weakest:
Excalibur at Funtown Splashtown. over all its a good coaster but the ending of the ride is just two slow and leave little to be desired. I've head they have reworked it but don't know it it's any better now.

Has it goten any better. The coaster is on MArtin and Vilasmix in progress list. I don't know it that is a retrackign or a reprofiling. I woudl hope it's a reprofiling and they lower the intire back half about 5 feet.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
GPM

7/4/2006 12:54:57 AM
When I think of finales, only one, indeed just one comes to mind. Quite frankly, I'm shocked only one person has mentioned it among this crowd. Maybe it has become fashionable to diss or perhaps its just so obvious it needs no affirmation. I like to think the latter to be the case.

The Beast double helix finale is so ridiculously far and away from any other, I simply cannot even begin to think of a second best.

Never in my life have I felt completely, and I mean it, completely out of control and at the mercy of a coaster, yet totally free. Viciously powerful, The Beast finale grips you ever so tightly and forces you to acknowledge its command. All else subsisting in the universe is wholly forgotten. You are living in the moment, for no others exist.
Coming out of that helix, you know that you have just experienced something. Left totally manipulated and ironically perfectly free, the Beast finale is everything good that riding coasters stands for.
tacoking

7/15/2006 5:15:15 AM
When I hear weak coaster ending the first ride that pops into my head is Millennium Force. So sad to see a fantastic first few elements spoiled by a less than mediocre rest of the ride.
Scott

7/15/2006 12:09:42 PM
I know the IOA fan boys will hate me for this, but I thought hulk had a very poor ending. The beginning was amazing, but the MCBR ruined the rest of the ride. It seemed to meander around...
RCGenius

7/18/2006 6:17:52 AM
I don't blame you for saying that Scott. When I rode the Incredible Hulk last year, I thought that after the corkscrew coming right after the MCBRs, the ending should've been a whole lot better. It's like the first 1/2 of the ride's really something to behold, but the 2nd half of it left a lot of people with disappointment.
quarter23

7/20/2006 12:02:29 PM
Interesting to hear the people who feel that MF is a letdown. There's not as much air as Magnum's bunny hops, but in my book the overall speed that MF keeps up through the whole course keeps it satisfying the whole way through.

Volcano's launch out the top is cool, but the rest of the ride is kind of pointless.

Cheers to the final drop of the Big Bad Wolf, tho.
coasterf42

7/24/2006 1:21:59 PM
Never thought of something like this before. I've only been on a few coasters compared to some of you, but I know a surprisingly strong ending is Greezed Lightening at SFKK. There is a ton of airtime on the backwards trip up the spike. It was really a shock for me to have good airtime on a steel looper. Also, Alpengeist has a great ending as that whole ride is just filled with so much speed and elements. It never lets up.

Thunder Run at SFKK had a dissapointing ending. The first three hops had some pretty extremem airtime, but the rest had not as much.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics