Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Carnivals
penguin22

6/16/2006 7:43:23 PM
I'm sure there are folks here who go to carnivals. I put up a report on one about a month back. Anyone else have any quick comments. Also, anyone been to a Skelly's Amusements carnival? They run in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Anyone else been to a show of theirs and enjoyed?
no cars go

6/17/2006 2:32:15 PM
I hate carnivals. They scare me. I go to the carnival in my town every year just to take pictures... Although I've heard that they might not have a carnival in my town this year...
Horizons12

6/17/2006 3:12:56 PM
I love carnivals, I'm going to one tonight actually. Never heard of Skelly's Amusements though even though I'm from NJ. Ever hear of Cookes Amusements?
no cars go

6/17/2006 5:28:23 PM
My town usually has a carnival a week or two during July. They actually started setting up the buildings for the band and the food this week. I've heard from one of my friends that it will be open for almost 2 months this year, but I've heard from my mom and sister that they won't be doing the carnival this year. So now I am really confused. I asked my one friend (whose mother is the town mayor) if she knew who supplies the rides at our carnival but she said she didn't know. I forgot to ask her if she could ask her mom and tell me, so I guess I'll have to wait until the school year starts to ask her that. Last year we got a SkyDiver ferris wheel (which I hated), a round-up (my first one!), a kiddie ride with spinning monkeys, a train, a scrambler-type ride, and a few others that slipped my mind. I went with my friend (the only time I ever went and rode stuff), and we rode the SkyDiver, the round-up, the train, and the scrambler thing... most of which I was forced on. But the wristbands are really expensive so when I go with my family we just play games to win cakes from the bakery right next to where they set up the carnival. But carnivals have always made me think of poor safety and weird carnies. So I really don't like carnivals. Plus, our carnival makes the pool close early and I basically live at the pool. P.S. I live in Pennsylvania and I've never heard of Skelly's Amusements, although I don't know much about carnivals.

--------------------
http://flyingturnsproject.com/01202006/100_0723b.JPG
Look at the man on the left with the gray hair... That's an odd expression he has on his face...

:spam: That spam dude is HOTT!!!
Message updated 6/17/2006 5:29:38 PM by no cars go
Horizons12

6/17/2006 10:58:03 PM
How was the Skydiver? I could use a nice scathing comment or short paragraph from a person who actually rode it for the rides review in the White Trash Carnie Ride section of my website.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/17/2006 11:54:07 PM
Yes. Horizons has one of THE BEST amusement-oriented sites around. Seriously - it's in my bookmarks menu - I hop over there when I need a good laugh. Great work on that one, Horizons...
BobFunland

6/18/2006 12:29:31 AM
I hate carnivals, but I wont deny the fact that, upon seeing a Zipper at a small roadside festival in Texas a few weeks ago, I damn near wrecked the car turning around without giving thought to whether it was safe to do so at the time.

Of course, being alone at the time, I couldnt ride anyways, but that doesn't mean I didnt try to slip the carnie a bill or two to try to make that happen
erinys

6/18/2006 8:26:09 AM
I've also tried begging the ride ops to go on with me and asking random people in the crowd watching the churning of the Zipper to go on with me. It hasn't worked yet, but you just never know. . . .
Horizons12

6/18/2006 11:50:19 AM
I wonder if they would let you ride if you brought an inflatable doll to ride with you or something. LOL!
Horizons12

6/18/2006 11:57:20 AM
Quote:
adriahna said:
Yes. Horizons has one of THE BEST amusement-oriented sites around. Seriously - it's in my bookmarks menu - I hop over there when I need a good laugh. Great work on that one, Horizons...

Thanks for the compliments! Did you read the Action Park essay that I wrote? I finally finished it and uploaded it onto the site in the Observations section. That and White Trash Carnie Rides 2 is coming along nicely.

--------------------
"if it is just us, it seems like an awful waste of space." -Contact

Visit my website
The Domain of Death III
Visit my OTHER web site!
Hit by Pitch!, Documenting all the poor saps plunked in the MLB!

Conservatives: Corruption is all they know!
no cars go

6/18/2006 1:37:50 PM
Yeah, Horizons, your site is in my favorites too. It's really funny. By the way, about the SkyDiver... The way up isn't bad, you're laying on your back (kind of like a Toboggan lift hill). It would have been a lot more fun if the way down wasn't so uncomfortable -- Your car is pointed straight down, so you are literally hanging over the lap bar on your stomach. No matter how much flipping around you do (my friend and I tried), you can't make it any more comfortable. Plus, you get stopped on the way down while they unload and load everything, so you are constantly stopped hanging over the bar. When I went to Lakemont and realized that they had one, I stayed away from it as much as I could...

P.S. I have 2 pictures of Lakemont's SkyDiver, I see you don't have one and I wouldn't mind mine being on a website. They're a little blurry but not insanely (flash wouldn't work, it was too bright out).
Message updated 6/18/2006 2:19:01 PM by no cars go
Horizons12

6/18/2006 4:02:36 PM
Thanks for the nice little Skydiver comment and thanks for offering to let me use the photos! Could you please send the photos here? Thanks again!
no cars go

6/19/2006 1:32:43 AM
No prob.
Horizons12

6/26/2006 10:26:48 AM
By the way, I updated the Skydiver page and added Bonzai, Frisbee, Fireball, and Touchdown to the Ride Reviews section. Anyone have a pic of a Huss Frisbee by any chance?

I also added "The 3 most incredible natural events I have ever seen" to Observations.
Message updated 6/26/2006 10:32:34 AM by Horizons12
nyeboy9

6/26/2006 12:11:53 PM
When I was little, I went to a carnival. I went on a ride, I forget what, and heard change rattling in people's pockets. I thought it was the ride's bolts and beams breaking. I haven't been to a carnival since.

--------------------
Park Tickets: $75 Funnel Cake: $7 Riding your favorite coaster: Priceless

Here at XS TECH we are seizing the future!
( from Alien Encounter)

no cars go

6/26/2006 5:45:36 PM
I don't have a picture of a Huss Frisbee, but I have pictures of a Moser Sidewinder, which is pretty much the same thing but a different company.

Also, they are WAY less blurry than my SkyDiver pictures. In fact, they aren't blurry at all.

--------------------
Kennywood - America's Favorite Traditional Amusement Park
Message updated 6/26/2006 5:46:52 PM by no cars go
no cars go

7/5/2006 9:30:33 PM
I also have a picture of a Chance Morgan Revolution.
no cars go

7/7/2006 8:39:09 PM
Does anyone know what carnival that Pink music video (Who Knew, or whatever it's called)... was taped at? I remember seeing a Zipper, Wave Swinger, Himilaya/Musik Express sort of thing, and a few other.
no cars go

7/12/2006 12:05:33 PM
Quote:
Horizons12 said:
By the way, I updated the Skydiver page and added Bonzai, Frisbee, Fireball, and Touchdown to the Ride Reviews section. Anyone have a pic of a Huss Frisbee by any chance?

I also added "The 3 most incredible natural events I have ever seen" to Observations.

Do you want either of the pictures I mentioned?

--------------------
My Coaster Count
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/12/2006 1:21:20 PM
Your site just gets better, Horizons - the fireball incident was really cool to read about.
primogen18

7/12/2006 2:37:59 PM
Theres a carnival that comes around close every year, just a small one. I used to go every year but the last couple years have been on/off. I remember going there about 4/5 years ago and riding the Gravitron, when the power went off for nothing more then a couple seconds (no music, no lights, people went nuts) but it came back on and when I asked the guy outside what had happened he literally said some fat guy walking stepped on the power cable connection or something... But yeah, carnivals can be fun lol.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/12/2006 6:25:44 PM
"Some fat guy stepped on the power cable or something..." - this is something I can DEFINITELY see coming from a carnival worker's mouth... the whole thing, Gravitron blackout and all, is totally hilarious...
primogen18

7/13/2006 9:46:32 AM
hehe, yeah, those were some interesting carnies. That was the same year a group of local punks decided to raid the trailers and ran off with a hamster-ball (those things hamsters run around in) full of change that belonged to one girl. My cousin and I tracked them down and got it back for them, they were cool people atcually, famlies living in the backs of trucks (which looked kinda like "make-shift" mobile homes) we got free rides the next night and a pick of any of the prizes there.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/13/2006 12:57:11 PM
That's cool - helping out carnies. I have had some pretty cool conversations with carnival workers - regardless of what some folks think of them, they work very hard, live the traveling life, and bring a whole lot of fun to a lot of people. That's a successful life, in my book.
primogen18

7/14/2006 9:33:55 AM
Yeah I wouldn't mind being a carnie really. I just went to a small carnival last night for my nephew, and I was very suprised with the "trailers". Unlike the ones I described for my local one, or pretty much many you see carnies travel in, these people had some NICE accomadations lol. For a very small carnival, they had 2 modified tractor trailers with some large (and expensive looking) RV/mobile homes built in the back. These were the ones with the rooms that pop out the side, and had 2 decent sized additions on either side and a sunsetter on one side with a porch lol. I guess they have to keep up with the times, and these looked VERY nice, something I wouldn't mind traveling around in.

Also, forgot to mentiom I got a candy apple there, and MAN did it SUCK, my god it makes me miss Knoebels. I LOVE their caramel/fudge apples it's become a tradition for me everytime I'm there, in fact I could live at Stony Gables lol

Message updated 7/17/2006 1:29:54 PM by primogen18
Horizons12

7/17/2006 1:43:59 PM
White Trash Carnie Rides 2.0

Every week I'll update with another review.
no cars go

7/17/2006 2:29:58 PM
Quote:
D3ath Cab said:
Do you want either of the pictures I mentioned?

--------------------
Enthusiasts only make up .000048% of the attendance at amusement parks.

My Coaster Count
Horizons12

7/17/2006 3:39:25 PM
Oh sorry lol, no thanks. If it was a picture of the Huss Frisbee then yes. The Sidewinder has seats facing outward which is a bit different than the Frisbee. Thanks anyway.
no cars go

7/31/2006 7:39:04 PM
Okay, no problem, but...

It's carnival time in my town!

I'm going later on tonight... But the biggest news, a zipper! Yes, I'm serious, this is amazing... We just got a new mayor, maybe he's hiring a different carnival company? Well, as usual, me and my family will avoid the rides as much as possible and play one of those wheel games that you win cakes from my local bakery from.
Horizons12

7/31/2006 10:14:18 PM
The New Jersey State Fair is coming very soon. I can't wait...I have never been to that fair before but I heard that they have some pretty wicked rides. I really hope they have the Soriani & Moser "Super Loop on Top" this year. It's like a Top Spin where the arms can turn in opposite directions.
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics