Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author Early El Toro Impressions
Hercules

6/15/2006 2:56:44 PM
I just got the schedule for Coaster Celebration in the mail and I'm not happy about the schedule change. I figured there was going to be one though. Chances are I won't be at the park for night ERT and the fact that El Toro got moved from morning to night kills me.
erinys

6/16/2006 7:30:38 AM
Rode again, along with darkridrmd this time - he has a busy week before him so I don't know how long it will be before he can share his take. It didn't open til sometime after noon. Overpriced Flashpass didn't work on the west side of the park early in the day, so only got in 1 ride in a 7 hr day.

3rd row. I wouldn't wait for the front seat as darkridr wanted, so we went for row 3, which I read somewhere was where the lift connected & was therefore slightly elevated and makes that first drop more impressive. Tucked my shirt in this time. One larger man got off before the staplers arrived - I suspect his lap belt wouldn't close, although he's the first I've seen who hasn't been able to ride. In this day of good nutrition making people grow to their full potential height and bone size, along with general American weight gain, one would think designers would try to accomodate the varied dimensions of as many people as possible.

They slammed the lap bar in, with my full encouragement. I have no significant use for my aging ovaries, but I swear they were displaced.

Even with the slight elevation, the first hill as a single element doesn't completely do it for me. While you feel like you are headed down towards the ground at 90 degrees, it doesn't feel very tall or that you hold that angle for long enough to feel life-endangering. I know that will change when I finally make it to the first row. Everything changes when you get thrown over the second hill. The third was just as amazing. The turnaround is nice, the fourth hill is ok. I tried to be more critical and analytical, but that innocuous little hill into Rolling Thunder's infield just slams you forward - ovaries are really twisted now, as if I care. I think that toss might have been more powerful in the 3rd row than the back row. The back twister section is nice, it feels like you are angled at about 80 degrees sideways, and isn't that much of a let-up from the first portion, a definite "Wheeeee!," but nothing compares to being bucked off that bull into RT's infield. And then it was done.

After the extended joy of Medusa & Nitro, El Toro does feel a little short, but I don't know what they could have done to extend the boundless exhilaration longer. It leaves me breathless as is. I don't know if it is because they are staggering off in dismay, or they've baked in the hot sun for too long before the ride, but most riders seem strangely quiet during the return and disembarkation. A number did stick around on the exit side to see if they could slip back in with any single riders on the next round. SF needs to do something to pair up single riders to speed up the line. I still don't understand relying on 2 ops during single train operation to staple 36 seats that often must be rechecked.

One side of Rolling Thunder was open, for those in need of the sound of steel scraping on wood.

And ET is now open for reviews on TPC, so you can start putting in your official votes. I'm still trying to gather it all together into a coherent whole before putting it down, but the number '10' keeps springing to mind.
Message updated 6/16/2006 7:48:28 AM by erinys
darkridrMD

6/16/2006 8:22:53 PM
ET is amazing. However, I didn't tuck and my shirt stayed put. Maybe it's worse for the gals. Erin and I saw a girl on the train before ours get up at the end and show us her b'niss. Who says plumbers crack only happens to Roto-Router guys?
erinys

6/18/2006 1:24:17 PM
And who says Roto-Rooter folks must be guys? Her career choice, or future career choice, seemed rather obvious, as did everything else. You were wearing a t-shirt which is by its knit nature clingy and meets my previous attire suggestions.

Rumor has it that the line today extends beyond the queue, and that a couple people have passed out in the heat/sun over the past few days. SF can build a coaster, most of 'em even work (the flats seem to be another story), but they can't seem to put up awnings or mist the crowd. So much for that Home Depot partnership.
Hercules

6/18/2006 3:02:07 PM
My early impressions of the ride - nothing short of phenominal.

I agree with the shade and mist and stuff. I was dying while waiting for Nitro yesterday and the only ride that I can really think of that has fans and mist is Kingda Ka.
viking78

6/20/2006 4:55:28 PM
Wow, this sounds fantastic! I can't wait to get out to SFGA this month. I haven't even ridden Kingda Ka yet. With the addition of both these beasts in two years how can you not head out to SFGA? Hats off to them. I swore off that park with it's awful service and themeing a few years ago but now.....how can I resist?
Message updated 6/20/2006 4:56:20 PM by viking78
larrygator

6/21/2006 10:36:59 PM
I'm trying to go this Sunday I hope I can find the time. I have a lot to do over the next couple of days
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics