Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Million Dollar Coaster
MartyMoose

4/2/2006 8:14:01 PM
I've read back through quite a few posts, and I haven't seen anything mentioned about this. But, if I am bringing up an old topic --- sorry.

Does anyone have any information about the Million Dollar Coaster at the now-defunct Rocky Glen Park of Moosic, PA? I just happened to stumble across a couple of pictures of it last night, and it looks like it was a pretty amazing coaster for its time. Built by National Amusement Devices, it was an out-and-back that was in the park from 1946-1957. It's first drop was 96 feet, and it's overall length was 4700 feet.

The interesting thing about this coaster is that it was built across a lake, and each drop must have given the illusion that you were going to plunge into the water, especially on the "back" portion of the ride. Here are links to the photos that impressed me:

http://members.aol.com/coasting2/moosic.html
(An old Rocky Glen postcard featuring the Million Dollar Coaster.)

www.defunctparks.com/parks/PA/rockyglen/rockyglen.htm (Scroll down to see a beautiful black and white aerial photo of the coaster.)

Like I said, the coaster certainly looks impressive to me, and I thought many of you might get a kick out of these pictures. But, why did it only last eleven years? Was riding it a disappointing experience? Were there problems?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic.
ibluv

4/2/2006 9:58:26 PM
Welcome to the site, Marty.

While I can't answer your question for sure, these guys might be able to. It's too bad about Rocky Glen. It looked like a great park and those demo photos are really sad. Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

--------------------
I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lime and a shot of tequila.
RCGenius

4/6/2006 8:39:37 PM
The Million Dollar Coaster did look like it was an extreme out-and-back coaster back in the day & I wish that I could've given it a ride or two. Rocky Glen Park did live a good life though, starting back in 1885, so I guess that it just couldn't compete with newer parks anymore, causing both the Million Dollar Coaster & the park itself to be closed down for good.
no cars go

4/8/2006 12:26:30 AM
The coaster probably closed because of injuries/accidents or something like that, if it was so advanced it may have been unsafe too.

----------------------
If I could open my arms and span the length of the isle of Manhattan
I'd bring it to where you are making a lake of the East River and Hudson
If I could open my arms wide enough for a marching band to march out
They would make your name sing and bend through alleys and bounce off all the buildings

www.freewebs.com/kennywoodpark
Message updated 4/8/2006 12:27:05 AM by no cars go
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics