Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Six Flags Elitch Gardens and "teardrop print"
primogen18

2/20/2006 10:57:26 AM
Just wondering what SFEG has against "Teardrop print" bandanas? Below is a link to TPR with the picture of the rules near the bottom. It seems a little odd...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/denver2005/sfeg/sfeg3.htm

--------------------
ThrodL
ThrodL on Myspace

coaster05

2/20/2006 11:18:00 AM
I am guessing it is a gang thing. The teardrop is very big in Hispanic areas. I have not been to Colorado so I have no clue about the Latin/Hispanic population but that is my guess.
primogen18

2/20/2006 12:48:56 PM
yeah I was thinking the same thing, some gang affiliation, since it seems so highlighted and all.
larrygator

2/20/2006 12:57:53 PM
teardrops are a symbol of the following:
1) - a fallen homeboy or a killing of a rival gang member
2) - having served one year in an institution
primogen18

2/20/2006 1:22:55 PM
oh, never knew they meant anything, its a pattern that I see for sale at the mall and in clothing stores all the time lol.
coaster05

2/20/2006 1:31:28 PM
White culture adopts these things with no real knowledge of what is behind it because the marketing of minorities to white youth is big business.
primogen18

2/20/2006 2:05:43 PM
well, yeah true, but if we all would be too careful and respected every little thing it would backfire and wed all be walking around naked lol, since every color has some gang meaning and every symbol has alternative meanings as well.
Message updated 2/20/2006 2:10:44 PM by primogen18
BobFunland

2/20/2006 4:02:33 PM
^ What? It's a way to keep gang members out, not to respect their symbols...

Quote:
I have not been to Colorado so I have no clue about the Latin/Hispanic population but that is my guess.

It's huge, as far as I know.

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 2/20/2006 4:04:54 PM by BobFunland
coaster05

2/20/2006 5:32:38 PM
Quote:
primogen18 said:
well, yeah true, but if we all would be too careful and respected every little thing it would backfire and wed all be walking around naked lol, since every color has some gang meaning and every symbol has alternative meanings as well.

the color real has nothing to do with much anymore. It is where you wear your bandana or which leg is rolled up and things of that nature. Don't take these things to the extreme. I teach in a huge gang area. They know who is trying to represent, who is posin and who just have no clue.

--------------------
"New rule: tulips are no longer a flower; they are some sort of gay onion." Bill Maher

How come someone like him doesn't run for President?

Coaster Count-172. Wooden-57
primogen18

2/20/2006 6:33:16 PM
oh ok, sorry for taking it too far and everything, It was just funny seeing that on TPR.
Anyway, is there anywhere else where they have stuff like this?
hrrytraver

2/20/2006 7:11:05 PM
perhaps the park should simply state the rules, i.e. "no line jumpling" "no offensive, threatening language" etc?

forbidding certain clothes that are not explicitly offensive (statements on a t shirt or violent/sexual image) seems a bit much. if someone acts rude, kick them out.

if osama bin laden showed up at the park, but stood in line with everyone else, didn't say anything out loud about infidels, spent a bunch of money on souvenirs (to put in his cave) and food...what's the problem?

they could have a sign that says "no turbans" and that would keep out the terrorists.
Scott

2/20/2006 11:50:05 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:

It's huge, as far as I know.

yes and no. There are sections of denver where there are a ton of hispanic people, but there are also a ton of sections that are very white. We have very few blacks. I dunno... denver is nowhere near as bad as miami or LA... there are a few sections, but it really just depends on where you are. I don't think there is a single hispanic person in my area.... They mostly live in poor sections outside of denver... like where I'm afraid of getting shot.

mrceagle

2/23/2006 12:47:05 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
they could have a sign that says "no turbans" and that would keep out the terrorists.

Not exactly since Tubans are a coltural thing and not every one that warees one is a terorist.

This is a simple goal to keep the parks safe. would you rather have a shooting like at Riverside(SFNE). Not that every gang members goal is to shoot people.

They know that this simple can cause problems same as an ofensive T-shirt might so they ask that you put them aside.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
hrrytraver

2/23/2006 3:33:38 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
Not exactly since Tubans are a coltural thing and not every one that warees one is a terorist.

exactly my point. metal detectors eliminate the chance of weapons, security gets rid of people who act out of line.

if gangs started wearing ten gallon hats then forbid ten gallon hats? amusement parks and laws in general should forbid violence and disruptive behavior, not nitpick about clothing.
BobFunland

2/23/2006 6:09:24 PM
Scott - I wasn't implying it was anywhere near the levels of Florida or SoCal, but that its still a sizable population.

These people don't need weapons to start trouble, so the park should do anything they can to prevent problems, if that means discriminating against a bandana, so be it. Metal detectors only do so much, especially when a certain SF executive won't allow the security guards to carry weapons on the premises

Besides - if someone DOES wear one of these bandanas inside the park, and a rival gang member notices and some violence breaks out, do you really want to be the park? Why not do everything you can to prevent this kind of stuff...?
coaster05

2/23/2006 8:44:38 PM
It sounds like this has become a very noticeable gang symbol, hence the ability to not allow it. I worked at a mall that would not allow anyone to wear hats backward. Our school has a no hat policy at all events. When a gang symbol become synonomious(sp?) then it just has to be banned. It is not like they are trying to stop all problems, but by being this obvious the gang is trying to show their power in the face of all others.
hrrytraver

2/24/2006 10:09:40 AM
^good points made.

the mere fact that gangs gravitate to amusement parks goes to show how they need an audience. i mean why shell out the cash to get in, just to attain a venue to confront rivals? not that people should use malls as a battleground for gang warfare, but at least malls are free.

they should just meet in a dark basement somewhere and beat the crap out each other to vent their testosterone build up like fight club.

i imagine that the six flags folks know that people won't feel very light and frolic-y (new word) if the security is walking around looking like riot squad. it seems like a catch 22. tighter stricter security would limit punks trying to run the place, but simultaneously turn the park into "six flags over orwellian police state."
mrceagle

2/25/2006 1:24:10 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
exactly my point. metal detectors eliminate the chance of weapons, security gets rid of people who act out of line.

if gangs started wearing ten gallon hats then forbid ten gallon hats? amusement parks and laws in general should forbid violence and disruptive behavior, not nitpick about clothing.

Metal detectors only stop things from going on inside the park. SFNE has had Fights in the parking. Wasn't there a shootign at SFAm's parking lot?

Better to spearhead things gefor they can escolate.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics