Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Dollywood Coasterfest 11/19
BobFunland

11/20/2005 7:09:47 PM
Four hundred and seventy-six days. That was how long it had been since I last rode Thunderhead (too long, really), which through some changes has since become my number one coaster (it 'debuted' on my list down at #3 or #4). When I first rode, my wood count had just surpassed 10. Since then, 25 new woodies, including three that now sit in my top 10. I rode Thunderhead without knowing too much in regards to the hype, as it was still faily young and it was towards the end of a period in which I was minimally active on this site. Needless to say, I was blown away then, but the questions leading up to Saturday included 'will it still blow me away?', 'is it as good as I had remembered?' and perhaps most importantly, 'will it still beat out Boulder Dash as my top woodie?' (ironically enough, I had packed a Boulder Dash sweatshirt ) Well, it was time to find out.

My mom accompanied me on this trip and probably was more excited than I. She loves Dollywood, she loves Christmas (and anything relateD) and she loves crafts. I love Dollywood and could use some night rides on Thunderhead to fairly compare it to Boulder Dash, which I was able to ride six times at night. So, with an ACE Event scheduled we decided to head up for the weekend.

We arrived at the park shortly before the 11AM opening on Saturday, and boy was it cold! (Probably 30 degrees tops at that point) We were informed that ERT probably wouldn't happen, as I had suspected after freezing my ass off the night before. Still, we headed into the park.

My mom came for the shopping and shows more than anything, so she immediately left me. I knew T-head would still be closed so I went over the the new Country Fair area.

Ten new rides for the year, and my first ride of the day became the new swings. I took my seat on the Waltzing Swinger and enjoyed the mediocre swing ride.

After that, I headed over to the bumper cars, but not before catching this beauty warming up:

The bumper cars were pretty weak, though that was pretty much expected since I'm both picky and because of the audience that Dolly draws.

Next for me was the Scrambler, which was sporting new paint if I remembered correctly. A good ride, somehwere in the middle of scramblers.

I kept walking through the Country Fair, riding the Lemon Twist next. This was a standard tea cups ride and of course got me immensely dizzy. I hadn't been on such a ride in a while so it was something fun and different. After that, I checked my phone: 45 degrees. I was off to Thunderhead. First off, Thunderhead remains the most beautiful wooden coaster in the world, in my opinion, so here are some photos of the beaut' that she is:

Oh yea, Dollywood was hyping the Topple Tower a lot, here's a construction photo (since we all love construction photos )

Anyways, I did get two rides in on Thunderhead. They were running only one train, but I still probably didn't wait more than 15 minutes. The ride is still awesome.. so smooth, so wild, so relentless, so violent without pain... but of course 2 rides wouldn't be enough. However, I still had a lot of the park to do, so I moved on.

I decided to head to the back of the park. I walked all the way back (which was my excercise for the day!) and caught my ride on Tennessee Tornado, which was a walk on in almost every row. I rode both nea
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:28:05 AM by BobFunland
Cyclonic

11/20/2005 7:42:32 PM
Excellent report Joe. I love the photo of the train, great angle. The park truely is a wonder during the Christmas season. Thunderhead is truely a monster at night. Now you know why it is my number one too.

I can't wait to go in a few weeks myself and try that Disko.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Bring an end to the IRS! FairTax.org

Annoy a liberal; Work hard and be happy!

Dukeis#1

11/21/2005 12:13:16 AM
Nice trip report! Great photos as well. I'm sure everyone knows which one is my fav

As cold as it was here (Asheville, NC- across the Smokies from PF) last night, I was sure that Thunderhead would be closed. Very happy to hear it managed to warm up so all the ACERS wouldn't be turned away.

I can't wait to visit SMC myself next weekend.

Quote:
BobFunland said: With a park so heavy in woodwork you'd think that they would have a wooden carousel. Sadly, no.

Well, since you brought it up, () from 1990-'98 Dollywood was home to a beautiful, 1923 antique Dentzel Carousel. The carousel was originally located at the defunct Rocky Springs Park in Pennsylvania, and was leased to Dollywood by the Rocky Springs Historical Foundation on a year-to-year basis.

At the end of the 1998 season, Dollywood decided not to renew the lease, (perhaps due to upkeep costs?) and the antique was quite hastily removed from the park and replaced by the standard Chance carousel. Such a shame the park didn't keep the antique instead...

--------------------
Dollywood...It's Homespun Fun!
Message updated 11/21/2005 2:34:27 PM by Dukeis#1
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
11/21/2005 9:56:16 AM
Great TR, Bob - Dollywood looks like a great place. Have seen pics before, but yours do some real justice. And I'm with Cyclonic - I LOVE that one of the engine. Very nice.

Cool info and GREAT photo, Dukeis. I knew that there had been a vintage piece there some time ago, but never saw a pic. Looks like some OLD paint on those figures.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics