Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Wood Coaster Debate: Rough or Smooth
Canobie Coaster

10/25/2005 7:59:27 PM
Do you prefer rough wooden roller coasters or smooth wooden roller coasters?
Alfungus

10/25/2005 10:20:32 PM
I think it's kind of the wooden coasters trademark to be more rough while the steel coasters are becoming more and more smooth. But anyway yes I prefer a rougher wooden ride because it contributes to their character.
Hercules

10/25/2005 10:23:38 PM
True, but, with some of the newer companies coming out like GCI and even Intamin getting into the mix, some of what GCI does and all of what Intamin does is that of making a very smooth ride. I think that a wood should be a little on the rough side like what S&S kind of brings to the table, but the newer companies seem to be tailoring their rides towards the smoothness of steel these days.

I think we have talked about this a lot in other topics though Yoshi.
BobFunland

10/25/2005 10:39:20 PM
I personally don't care, I can handle a good beating but when its too much it kills the fun. Too much is usually defined as having to keep my hands on the grab bar because I want to reduce the beating I am taking.

However, I would say that I prefer smooth coasters slightly because it makes them more rideable and popular with the ordinary parkgoer.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
10/26/2005 12:13:03 AM
Bit of both - depends on the coaster, actually. The Beast, back when was smoooooth - like silk and butter. Hell of a ride - same goes for Boulder Dash. On the other hand, I love the crazy, hell for leather roughness of the Cyclone, as well. Just depends, really - both riding experiences can be a blast.
Canobie Coaster

10/26/2005 5:18:35 AM
I prefer smooth coasters over rough ones. I can handle some beating around like on Excalibur at Funtown U.S.A., but I hate really rough coasters like the Wild Cat at Hersheypark.
hrrytraver

10/26/2005 10:29:08 AM
perhaps it's not a complete question. there are two "roughs" on wood coasters. there may be much more than that...for die hard wood coaster fans it could be similar to how eskimos have so many words for snow...

but, uh...yes wood coasters have "track" roughness, which comes from neglect - bumpy, making the train vibrate wildly. but many people think of the actual ride itself of a wood coaster being rough, because on most of them the lats jam you into the walls of the trains and the negative Gs launch you into the lap bars. i have read people on this list say that the phoenix or the thunderbolt are "rough", and those two have some of the smoothest tracking i've ever seen on wood coasters.

so for my taste, i guess i'll take a fairly clean track on a wood coaster but some unpredicatable and chaotic forces from the ride itself are absolutely necessary.

the coney island cyclone is perfectly rough, in my opinion.
Timberman

10/26/2005 6:42:03 PM
I seem to like many rides that other people find uncomfortably rough, but I don't seek out "roughness" per se. What I do seek out is wild, reckless, abandon. The Cyclone, as in so many things, is probably the perfect example of ride tracking and dynamics for my taste. I have to say, however, that Avalanche is a very close second.

Can a wooden roller coaster be too smooth? I don't know. If in every other respect it kicked ass, I don't think I'd mind. Lightening Racer feels too smooth for my tastes, but maybe I just don't like the layout. Pheonix is also very smooth, but delivers a very gutsy ride.
Message updated 10/26/2005 6:49:55 PM by Timberman
mrceagle

10/30/2005 6:31:19 PM
It shoudl be slightly rough. but, if it's too rough ie Cyclone SFNE, or Rolling Thunder SFGAdv, then it's no fun.
coasterwom

4/29/2006 3:08:28 AM
I prefer a more smooth ride to a rough ride on a coaster. Most of the wooden coasters I have ridden have been somewhat smooth it just depends on where you sit I think.
ibluv

4/29/2006 12:14:38 PM
A good wooden coaster should have a certain degree of roughness, or else there's something wrong. I love woodies more than steel ones cuz I love getting thrown around, and I don't even mind a little bit of pain, but when the ride is so rough that you feel your bones jarring against each other (aka SFNE Cyclone and that one in Spain) that's where I draw the line.
CoastrGlxy

5/2/2006 12:25:04 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
True, but, with some of the newer companies coming out like GCI and even Intamin getting into the mix, some of what GCI does and all of what Intamin does is that of making a very smooth ride.

In my book these are welcomed additions. I feel like it's gotten to the point where I'm surprised when a wooden coaster DOESN'T beat me up. I'm talking about woodies that aren't even that old like the Wild Cat at Hershey. A few weeks ago while riding it I hit a section that at one time may have given a nice pop of airtime, but not gives a painful jolt. As a result I got a punch in the stomach from the seatbelt and an indentation (not quite a cut) on my lower shin for my troubles. Not my idea of a fun ride.

I'm looking forward to El Toro's prefabricated track, it'll be refreshing not having to brace myself for pain.

VIVA LA SMOOTH WOODIES!
thinkdif

5/2/2006 4:11:40 PM
a rough coaster can be fun, expecially if you are riding with friends, but nothing compares to a fast smooth drop on a nice woodie.
sowinski

5/2/2006 8:05:08 PM
I like it rough at first, then smooth. Ooops, sorry wrong forum. Just kidding.

I think think some roughness in wood is unavoidable, but that it definitely adds to the fear/fun factor. I rode the Beast last summer for the first time. I found that the feeling of the train rattling around on the track like it was out of control, shaking bolts or who knows what else loose in the process, put just enough doubt in my mind as to the ride's safety that when I returned to the station I felt a rush. Then I felt stupid for being duped into thinking I may not survive my ride and finally I had to hop back in line and tempt the fates so that I could get that feeling back again.

That being said, there is also a point where you come off a ride with bumps, bruises, welts, and pains that prevent you from enjoying the rest of your day. That's where I draw the line.
hrrytraver

5/2/2006 11:04:00 PM
Quote:
sowinski said:
I rode the Beast last summer for the first time. I found that the feeling of the train rattling around on the track like it was out of control, shaking bolts or who knows what else loose in the process, put just enough doubt in my mind as to the ride's safety that when I returned to the station I felt a rush. Then I felt stupid for being duped into thinking I may not survive my ride and finally I had to hop back in line and tempt the fates so that I could get that feeling back again.

there is certain type of wood afficionado who would really be excited by that paragraph. kinda captures the essence of one of the endearing qualties to wood coasters. check out some of the affectionate reviews of the williams grove cyclone.
fergusonat

5/5/2006 12:39:20 PM
I think there needs to be a certain degree of roughness to a good woodie, but honestly, some wooden coasters are just way too rough to even enjoy. Example: Hurler at PKD But yeah, I enjoy a little bite to my woodies
The Lado

5/9/2006 8:55:46 PM
I like smooth with good drops and turns. I just aint a fan of a rough woodie. I hate getting off a coaster and feeling like you been punched a few times. Also, rough distracts me during the ride and prevents me from having a better time.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/10/2006 12:43:28 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
there is certain type of wood afficionado who would really be excited by that paragraph. kinda captures the essence of one of the endearing qualties to wood coasters. check out some of the affectionate reviews of the williams grove cyclone.

Totally agreed - you put it perfectly, sowinski. I always, always have the same sort of experience when I ride the Coney Island Cyclone - despite the fact that it's very well maintained, its sheer design, paired with its age, scares the hell out of me every time. It's a genuine mind game with well-designed wooden coasters.

--------------------
"Coney Island is the most human thing that God ever made... or permitted the devil to make." - Richard LeGallienne
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics