Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Six Flags Darien Lake Fright Fest - 10/22
Lin48

10/23/2005 12:24:40 PM
First of all, it's no secret that I immensely dislike Six Flags Darien Lake. There are only a handful of things that keep me from hating it and never going again.
Since my sister now goes to college somewhere near Darien Lake, we thought it would be cool to go to Frightfest this year.
Along with some of her friends from her school, we headed out yesterday knowing that it was rainy and cold and generally miserable, but we didn't think it would be that big of a deal. After all, I had called and asked if the rides would run in this weather and the lady gave me the impression that lots of things would be running and would run as long as there wasn't any thunder or lighting (with the exception of the sky wheel and their 3,000 year old woody Predator, but to be honest, that's probably a good thing).
So we hopped in the car and drove over there, got our tickets and went in. It was kind of cold, but most of us were dressed for the occasion (in layers, with big old waterproof coats). At that point, it was more or less sprinkling. It was okay.
The first ride we went on was Superman and it was fun. The sprinkling rain hurt just a little bit, but it was still the same great thrill it always is for me. Superman is definitely this park's main saving grace.
After that, we rode the swings and then the merry-go-round (since these things are all fairly close to each other) and after that, we began discovering that a great number of rides were closed.
Now, I realize that sometimes, during Halloween celebrations at parks, that a few rides won't be running...they're just getting ready for the end of the season and I guess it makes it easier if they start shutting stuff down early...whatever.
BUT...man, the lady I talked to on the phone made it sound like lots of stuff was going to still be in operation.
Also, I've been to other Halloween things at other parks and it wasn't like this. So...I don't know what the cause was, but all in all, this visit was pretty lame.
There was some cool Halloweeny theming on the bumper cars. They covered the sides of the building so it was totally dark inside, putting on strobe lights and stuff like that...that was neat. Good music too.
There was some good theming around the Viper and even within the realms of the Antique Cars (yes, we resorted to riding that).
We got on Superman again, but that was ridiculous when it starting POURING. I covered my face most of the time, which I thought to be a shame, but you do what you have to do.
After that, it was so horrible out that we went to the Halloween Show they had going on indoors, which translates to "we had to seek shelter or bad things were going to happen to us". We were all soaked, cold, miserable...and the show didn't make us a lot happier and it wasn't very warm in that building! But...beggars can't be choosers.
After that, sought shelter once more, in the Ranch Chicken pavillion, which was incredibly freezing. I had a hot chocolate and then I went out to the car, just to sit and wait for the rest of the gang. I was able to get warm in there and already I was having a better time than I had been having in the park.
When my group returned about forty-five minutes later, they got into the vehicle and expressed disappointment in the haunted house they had there, which cost $3 extra to enter (I know they charge extra at other places too, though, so I don't have any real beef with that). I guess I'm glad that I saved my $3 and now I just dislike DL even more.
Overall, I thought the amount of rides closed was RIDICULOUS. I still wonder why this park doesn't have a dark ride. I'd rather not go back if I didn't have to. I really don't know why I went this time.
mrceagle

10/25/2005 12:09:33 AM
Sorry to hear you had sucha bad time. From what you said on erlyer posts this eyar was slow for you and it woudl have been nice for things to be a bit better. I know the rain had a bit to do with it but when my Brothers went to SFNE a couple weeks ago they had 13 rides shut down and the Trail of Terror was shut down do to Flooding.

Any was Hopfully you will have a better year next year. and hopfully your sister will have good luck in her classes.
BobFunland

10/26/2005 10:46:57 PM
Let me start by saying that I am sorry that you didn't have the greatest of evenings at Darien Lake. I don't know your entire history with the park (as in why you hate it) but I'll just go with it..

(I happened to enjoy the park this year, much better than last year to me)

Quote:
Lin48 said:
Along with some of her friends from her school, we headed out yesterday knowing that it was rainy and cold and generally miserable, but we didn't think it would be that big of a deal. After all, I had called and asked if the rides would run in this weather and the lady gave me the impression that lots of things would be running and would run as long as there wasn't any thunder or lighting..

See, you seem to have been to enough parks that I would have thought you would catch that warning sign. Rain and cold do not go well at parks, so a lot of things were probably going to be closed. The public relations lady just did her job, and probably used something along the lines of "we'll try to open everything we can circumstances permitting", correct?

Quote:
Now, I realize that sometimes, during Halloween celebrations at parks, that a few rides won't be running...they're just getting ready for the end of the season and I guess it makes it easier if they start shutting stuff down early...whatever.

Well, in some cases that's true, but a lot of parks have limited operations because of limited staffing, with such a large proportion of their workforce being parttime hires for the summer.

Also, just curious, how did you gain admission? Season pass? Tickets at the gate or at the supermarket?

Darien Lake's ticket prices for October drop dramatically (to about $15), most probably to help compensate for limited operations. I mean, I guess I'm saying "you get what you pay for", and on that evening, it was a lot of closings compared to a normal day at the park.

Quote:
I still wonder why this park doesn't have a dark ride./quote]
Me too. Does Seabreeze have a dark ride? If not, none of the three western ny parks do... kinda odd.

With all of that said I still liked your report, even though I think the rain made things miserable for you both because you were getting soaked all evening and it resulted in even higher closings that should be expected (where you are coming from is understandable in a way). However, I think you just need to remember that the rain was probably why so many rides were closed, not to mention the season and intentions of keeping some rides closed all evening. But, I don't think you lost too much money in this episode, did you?

I had a similar experience just three weeks ago by the way, don't think you are alone

--------------------
Mike Adams kicks ass
Lin48

10/28/2005 10:43:04 AM
Well, about disliking Darien Lake in general...I just think it's kind of boring. It's a VERY typical Six Flags to me. Like I've said before in a couple of posts on this site, sometimes Six Flags will bring a great ride or two to a park already in existance, but mostly, I think it takes away flavor a park once had. I say this simply because I think Six Flags park design is VERY generic. Lots of rides with the same name, color scheme and design at various parks (esp. coasters)...I don't like that much. A million Looney Tunes-themed things (yuck)...so I just generally don't like Six Flags, but I also think that Darien Lake is especially bad. I don't like the park's layout, the wooden roller coaster they have there is ridiculous, with the exception of Superman, the other coasters there aren't that great...I just don't like this park.
But anyway...
When I called, I asked pretty clearly, "Are there any other rides (besides Superman and Viper, which I had already asked about, and Predator, which she had already said wouldn't be running) that won't be running today?"
And I meant regarding the weather, but...I mean, she said everything else would be. And you're right. As a good PR lady, it wouldn't have been good of her to say "Well, we're only running about 6 rides today anyway." I will give you that. And really, I should have suspected more closures.
We bought our tickets at a supermarket and saved a few extra dollars on admission (which was still around $15). I thought a discount for fright fest was more to entice people to come, even though it would be a little colder. I just thought more rides would be open.
And of course we shouldn't have really gone. I even knew that. It wasn't my idea to still go. I was the one up visiting my sister at her college JUST TO go to Darien Lake. She made it pretty obvious that she still wanted to go, even though a few others that were supposed to come along opted against it that morning. I don't know. I guess I didn't have to go, but it would have been strange sitting in a dorm room that wasn't mine all day by myself.
But I hope my sister learns for the future because that WAS miserable and it wasn't the smartest thing we've ever done.
And I don't think that Seabreeze has a darkride. It's too bad. The minute Darien Lake gets one, it might become my favorite park...who knows? I know DL once had an indoor roller coaster...that's not a dark ride, but it's cool. And now what is it? A show building? Grrr.
Thanks for your comments!

Lin
mrceagle

11/8/2005 4:53:27 PM
Ya it's not Nighmare at TGE. anyways I don't think SFDl will be getigna dark ride any time soon. maybe Martins fantasy Island.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics