Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Beginners Ride
darkridrMD

9/28/2005 3:59:55 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this forum is as good as any. I have a good friend whom I have been trying to convince to go with me on one of my many excursions to Six Flags (be it America or Great Adventure). Well, she finally agreed to go with me on season passholders night. Needless to say she really enjoyed the park. Now, I've created a monster! (wink, wink). She hasn't been on many rides and is a little anxious about what to try. :puke: We only managed to get on Runaway Mine Train at GA together. Do you guys have any recommendations for either park as to something she might try that isn't too crazy but more than a mild ride. I was thinking Roar at America. Thanks folks.

--------------------

"Grim, grinning ghosts come out to socialize!"
Hercules

9/28/2005 4:06:07 PM
What about Skull Mountain? Some flats maybe, or are you just looking for coasters or something?
darkridrMD

9/28/2005 4:14:02 PM
We thought about SM but didn't have enough time. She'd probably be more tempted by flats but I guess I was more going for the coasters.
Canobie Coaster

9/29/2005 6:20:19 AM
I think that maybe Rolling Thunder or Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train would be a good roller coaster, at Six Flags Great Adventure. At Six Flags America, a good choice would be Wild One.
erinys

9/29/2005 9:41:34 AM
darkridr's wimpy friend here. For some reason, the banked curves freak me out. I need some kind of flat to get used to going forward while falling to the side. I also flash back to riding KD's Rebel Yell while coming down with a stomach flu & turning green - been a himalaya & scrambler girl ever since.
Message updated 9/29/2005 10:05:59 AM by erinys
Hercules

9/29/2005 12:32:59 PM
Ok, you need a flat of some sort to get used to the sensations. Hmmmm.... Twister is something that could let you get used to the going upsidedown thing. Spinmeister would be good to experience some heavy G's, along with getting tossed around a little bit. There really aren't too many good flats at the park (Great Adventure) anymore, but maybe next year
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/29/2005 2:19:48 PM
Hey, erin - good to have you here. You have a good friend in darkridr, he's a cool dude. I'm trying to think in regards to GAdv - as Hercules said, the flats aren't all that great there. On the extreme side of banking, you've got Rodeo Stampede - but from what I remember, it's not for the faint of heart. It's basically a themed BreakDancer ride, if that gives you an idea. It's good that you went on the Runaway Mine coaster - that's a great place to start, and it sounds like you enjoyed it. If you haven't, maybe give Rolling Thunder a try - it's not exactly my cup of tea, but it's rideable, and is a bit more adventurous than the Mine coaster. I wish I had more input - remembering what you've been on, just have a look around - you'll probably be surprised at what you can handle. Letting go of "sickness memories" can be difficult, but it sounds like you're getting into the spirit of things - that will go a long way in trying out new rides. Good luck, and have fun!

--------------------
It's not a successful ride on the Flying Scooter unless you've got bruises to tell the story for you.
Message updated 9/29/2005 2:21:34 PM by adriahna
darkridrMD

9/29/2005 4:11:09 PM
Hey, folks-I really appreciate the input!

Adriahna-awww, shucks-thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the site, Erin!
Message updated 9/29/2005 5:04:11 PM by darkridrMD
erinys

9/29/2005 9:05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice and warm welcome! This was just the kind of info I needed. Hope someday I'll have something to offer in return!
Message updated 9/29/2005 9:11:23 PM by erinys
erinys

10/3/2005 12:09:32 PM
Bought a 2006 season pass.
Did SkullM twice after being scared the first time (had to close my eyes), but now fine.
Took Runaway train in the daytime, so I'm over fear of that.
Musik Express for old times sake - arms are sore from clutching to avoid crushing my very patient self-sacrificing co-ridr.
After watching a six yr old survive, did Spinmeister twice (with moral support of co-ridr). Scared the first time (there was a bumping shaking clunking from poor weight balance) & never having gone on a ride upside down before.
A lot of flats were down. The Parachute drop closed as we arrived.
Suggestions for SFA? And as a naive newbie, is there any reason there are fewer reviews for SFA?
Message updated 10/3/2005 3:34:44 PM by erinys
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
10/3/2005 1:55:32 PM
Good to hear that you had a good time at GAdv - and very cool that you went ahead and purchased a 2006 pass. Now, that's a commitment! No advice for SFA - never been, myself. But heck, welcome to the club - you've shown great courage, and a whole lot of fun lies ahead!
darkridrMD

10/3/2005 2:32:01 PM
Adriahna-
Yeah, she did really good. I was very proud of her. She even survived me thinking we were gonna die on Spinmeister. I've never felt one do that before-pretty freaky. I think she'll be able to master Great American Scream Machine, but we'll do it when she's ready. Fright fest was a blast too.
Canobie Coaster

10/3/2005 3:59:37 PM
If she is to do a "big" roller coaster at Six Flags America, she should try Wild One. It isn't as intense as the other roller coasters like Superman, Batwing, and Roar. Also, Typhoon Sea Coaster would be another great choice, if it's open.
loriu

10/3/2005 6:55:03 PM
We took our daughter to Cedar Point last weekend. Now she is 6 and has ridden some pretty good sized coasters but nothing like what CP has to offer.

The first thing I did with her before we even went to the park, was watch POV videos of all the rides we could on CP's website. She immediately knew which ones she wanted to try and also got the idea that even though some of the rides were really big (Maggie, MF), they looked like they were fun.

Once at the park, we went on the rides that we knew she wanted to ride and worked our way up to the bigger rides. She ended up riding everything she could and loved every single one. Millennium Force is now her favorite coaster.

As far as SFA goes, Wild One would be the one to start on and then work your way up as your confidence builds. I don't know if you would be lucky enough to find POV's of their rides, but if you can, watch them beforehand to get an idea if you think it's something you handle.

--------------------
Coaster count - 262
darkridrMD

10/3/2005 9:53:04 PM
Some great advice, folks-thanks again for all the input. She's well on her way to fanaticism.
erinys

10/4/2005 1:17:42 PM
Just because I spread sheeted the coasters with height, drop, angle, and duration does not make me a fanatic!

Wild One it is! The Cedar Point videos really helped once I compared their stats with those of the local ones.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement!
Canobie Coaster

10/5/2005 7:45:41 PM
Your welcome.
erinys

10/11/2005 2:48:15 AM
Just an update - did SFA.
Roar was amazing! Wild One not so much - guess I like a little turn while hurtling forward.
Loved Rodeo and Octopus.
Thought Tower of Doom would be mine :cry: but I'm gonna get back on.
Still have to do a zipper before the season is over.
Want to do Hershey for Wildcat & Lightning Racer & some inverted flats next year, maybe Wild Mouse. Anyone know what operates there over Thanksgiving and Xmas?

Thank you darkridrMD and everyone else for starting a glorious addiction. Please tell my land-loving husband an intervention is not necessary yet.
Message updated 10/11/2005 3:46:56 AM by erinys
Canobie Coaster

10/11/2005 6:48:50 AM
I don't know, but Hersheypark has tons of great wooden coasters. My favorite coasters there are Lightning Racer, and the Comet. I didn't like the Wildcat, but if you love very rough wooden coasters, you will enjoy the Wildcat. At Hershey, the Wild Mouse is awesome, especially in the front seat. I'd avoid the Roller Soaker because of cold temperatures, long lines, poor maintenance, little capacity, and a boring ride.
darkridrMD

10/11/2005 8:40:17 AM
Yoshi-I'm with you on the Wild Mouse. It's probably the best example of it's kind that I've been on. I hated the Wildcat the first time I rode it, but after a couple more rides since, I've grown to enjoy it. I'd probably pick that over the Comet. The Comet to me is more of a trip to the past.
Canobie Coaster

10/12/2005 5:16:57 AM
Have you ever ridden the Comet in the very back seat? It has ejector air on the first three drops.
darkridrMD

10/14/2005 1:54:24 PM
That works for me. However, Erinys isn't fond of air time.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics