Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Clementon Park: August 13, 2005
Cyclonic

8/14/2005 9:39:54 AM
Clementon Park
August 13, 2005
Hot and hazy, high in mid 90's

Could this be? Could I actually be writing a trip report so soon after the actual trip? It must be a trick, or I am dreaming.

But it is true. Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting little old Clementon Park, in Clementon, New Joisy

I decided to make it an evening trip, it is so freaking hot, with highs reaching into the mid 90's and very high humidity, the whether has been just brutal.

I left at about two in the afternoon because I was making a few stops along the way. First stop was Citizen's Bank Park in South Philly. The Phils are on the west coast, but they were having a blood drive down at the ballpark. Give blood and you get a free Bobby Abreu figure, and well, free is my favorite flavor. Besides, I had not given blood in sometime, and it is always good to help someone else out. SO a lovely nurse sucks some blood out of me, after a bit of struggle ("I've been doing this for years, and you have some of the toughest skin I have ever seen"), and I am off to Clementon.

But first, I have to stop at my cousin's house, who live right across the lake from the park. So I do, getting some dinner and spending a few hours there relating family news and such, and finally get into the park at about seven, with dusk fast approaching.

I get my ticket, and head straight back for Tsunami (now J2, but for me it will always be Tsunami).

The park was very crowded, with lots of group picnics and family get togethers. The waterpark was wall to wall people (did I mention it was oppressively hot), but Tsunami only had about a 15 minute wait, with just one train running. I got to the top and got a front seat ride. The loading operations were just as slow as last year, though now they were not double checking everything, they just had a smaller crew. The ride op was making the most of it though, doing his best pilot's imitation, "This is your pilot speaking, today we will be flying at an altitude of 110 feet before descending 62 degrees and reaching a cruising speed of approximately 60 miles per hour. Flight duration will be 37 second, so please keep you belts buckled and remain seated. Enjoy your flight." I got a kick out of it, it was a pretty good spiel.

The ride? Well, lets just say, Tsunami's still got it, it is one hell of a wild ride. Still present is the fantastic bucking action at the top of the second hill, the incredibly tight turnaround, the awesome double helix, and the amazing airtime. I rode several more times, closer to the back, which is just even more amazing. In the back the forces in the helix are just so incredible they take your breath away, and you return to the station wondering what had just happened to you.

I rode into the night, when the park remained busy and it was still hot. When I had enough of Tsunami, I checked out some of the other flats, including the Falling Star,

Yoyo,

Thunderbolt,

and the Clementon Belle before leaving.

Complete photo gallery can be found here:
http://cyclonic.smugmug.com/gallery/730418

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Coaster Events Page Updated 6/16/05

The Al Franken Show - The worst three hours of radio known to man! Good thing Rush is on at the same time

Message updated 8/14/2005 9:44:33 AM by Cyclonic
larrygator

8/14/2005 11:40:38 PM
aren't you supposed to be in the Great Northwest?
Cyclonic

8/15/2005 12:02:14 AM
That's next week

But, I hope to be posting reports from there too, so be on the lookout for them, lots of good stuff on the way.
Hercules

8/15/2005 3:20:56 PM
I'm planning on making a trip to this park in October during the Halloween stuff, do you know if it will be overly crowded during that time?
primogen18

8/15/2005 3:28:59 PM
odd a friend and I were thinking of going there on the same day, didnt make it though glad you had a good time, nice pics
penguin22

8/15/2005 4:41:45 PM
I hate to spoil your anticipation Hercules, but Clementon cancelled Halloscreams for this year. The last day of the season will be Labor Day. The park has done poorly this year. I have a season pass and there have been days where the park has barly had anyone in it. There ave been rides down all season and the Chaos accident hasn't helped.

Great report by the way, Cyclonic. Saturday is usually crowded there. If you go on the weekdays, it will be pretty empty. Glad to see a trip report for this park though.
BobFunland

8/15/2005 7:18:26 PM
What's the future of Clementon? I skipped Tsunami coming back down, and now am starting to regret it. They cancelled the October events and they invited enthusiasts for a small event? Plus, a Falling Star is for sale and listed with the note "must be dismantled Sept. 12, 2005"? Things don't look good, it would be sad to see such a new woodie and an old Miller lost.

Speaking of the park, they should worry less about having a flash-filled, attractive site, and instead concentrate on their content. The Halloscreams stuff is still up and I had to email the park in May to see if they would be open while I was passing through. Quite a shame..

--------------------
Where are the seatbelts?
Message updated 8/15/2005 7:20:45 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

8/16/2005 12:25:53 AM
Wow, I'm glad I went a couple of weeks ago, even though all I did was ride Tsunami. The water park was absolutely packed.
Hercules

8/16/2005 3:10:35 PM
That's some good information for me to have I guess then. Looks like I'll make the trip over there in a couple of weeks. That's a shame. J2 ("Tsunami") looks like a good coaster so I better get on it while I can.
Hercules

8/23/2005 9:34:23 PM
Ok. I just want to get this straight so that I don't waste a 50 minute drive. Does anyone know if Clementon will be open either this Friday or Sunday like they have on their schedule. I just want to make sure because I don't want to get screwed or something like that. I tried to email the park, but I have yet to get a reply Any information would be great. Thanks a lot.
larrygator

8/23/2005 11:42:54 PM
penguin22 is the local down there, hopefully he can help you out Herc
Cyclonic

8/24/2005 2:47:48 AM
All indications are hat yes, they will be open as scheduled through labor day, and then they will be closed to the General Public afterwards.
penguin22

8/24/2005 8:10:52 AM
Friday or Sunday should be good. I have gone there many times and it hasn't been open. Unless the weather really sucks, the park shold be open though.
Hercules

8/24/2005 1:36:12 PM
I hope it will not be the case when I get there. I coulnd't imagine going all that way just to see it closed. I would have to go to Morey's or something else instead I guess. I wouldn't want to do that though. I still haven't gotten an email back from the park I guess I will try again or something. Thanks a lot for the information though.
larrygator

8/24/2005 9:49:31 PM
there is a drug store right across the street, I think it is a Walgren's. Call them and ask them to look out the window to see if the park is open
Hercules

8/24/2005 9:54:04 PM
How could they tell? It's not like there will be anyone in the park even if it is open. The rides won't be going

Ouch. That was really mean. I kind of feel bad about that one

Anyway, plans are changing for me anyway. I'm going to help my girlfriend move into school on Sunday, so I'm thinking Friday night now. I promised myself I would make it there this weekend because of the William's Grove thing next Sunday.
larrygator

8/24/2005 10:02:11 PM
I'm still considering William's Grove
Hercules

8/24/2005 10:08:59 PM
Well, it is going to suck for me, but I'm finding it to be worth it. I have to drive back home on Friday so I can get up at 6 and work until midnight and then drive another hour back home so that I can get up at around 630 to drive over 3 hours from my hometown to William's Grove. I'll be pretty beat that day, but it is worth it to me to be able to ride my first ACE Coaster Classic. Plus, I can sleep in on Labor Day because I won't have classes. And studying is so over-rated anyway.
Horizons12

8/25/2005 10:51:43 PM
Wow, Clementon doesn't look half bad. I always imagined that J2 was some small wooden coaster, but it actually looks pretty good. I'll have to check that place out one day.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics