Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author MB Pavilion (theres a Carousel involved)
BobFunland

8/8/2005 10:37:37 PM
I hit the park the other day hoping to get some nice photos of the park and at least one last ride on Hurricane. I didn't have much time to kill, so I only bought one ride on Hurricane and spent about an hour taking photos. Here we go...

The section on the beach side of Ocean Blvd.:

I like the skies and the palm tree in this one, even if the train is hard to see:

rode Hurricane first, and it was rough as hell. The G-trains lived up to their reputation from the back at least, though I still like the ride in an odd, twisted sort of way. One ride was enough for both my head and my pocket ($5 a ride).

I noticed the park had a band organ house, but sadly, it was closed:

Ah, now for the Carousel. Originally built in 1912 by Herschell-Spillman, the Pavilion picked it up in 1950. Its a very pretty carousel, though not the best, still something to marvel at if you enjoy a classic carousel. Now for some photos.

With redevelopment bound to happen eventually (only so many bad checks can be written), it would be a shame to see such a nice carousel be lost. Not too many hand-carved, 90+ year old, seaside carousels with working organs are around anymore, I just hope it gets picked up be somebody.

I noticed that the organ had gotten louder or something at that point, so I went to look and saw the Ruth & Sohn band organ had opened up and was playing. For some reason, part of my Martin's Fantasy Island photos were blended into the Pavilion gallery, I'll try to clean that up, but for now use that link.

--------------------
Where are the seatbelts?
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:33:01 AM by BobFunland
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/8/2005 11:29:52 PM
Gorgeous photos, Bob - and that's one heck of an organ; I didn't even know that there was a Ruth at Myrtle Beach. Just amazing - I can imagine how beautiful it sounds. Thanks for the great report!
BobFunland

8/9/2005 12:10:40 AM
Quote:
adriahna said:
Gorgeous photos, Bob - and that's one heck of an organ; I didn't even know that there was a Ruth at Myrtle Beach. Just amazing - I can imagine how beautiful it sounds. Thanks for the great report!

I knew you'd like it
(that's why I put the workd 'carousel' in the title )

The organ sounds WONDERFUL, one of the best I have ever come across. It was perfectly tuned and played perfect tunes.
Message updated 8/9/2005 12:12:06 AM by BobFunland
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/9/2005 9:00:05 AM
The carousel ain't too shabby, either - those Herschell Spillman park machines are a neat blend of the County Fair carousel style, and more refined, Philadelphia style rounding boards and scenery. The MB one you've shown reminds me almost exactly of the Trimper's carousel - only yours even has a working organ. Very cool.
Danny

8/16/2005 12:00:31 AM
Nice photos Bob. I really love this park and the Hurricane in a similar weird way. I also love those last two photos.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics