Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author Intamin Woodies, All That or Old Hat?
hrrytraver

8/9/2005 2:13:12 PM
" It just seems like hardcore woodie fans like to be tossed around, shaken, even beat up a little. Which makes me wonder a little bit about what else they enjoy in their free time. Yet I digress."

for me personally, i like being rattled around but mostly i'm simply an anachronist. i like 70s movies way more than current ones. i like 50s modernism a lot more than 00s modernism. all flavors of technology are really incredible, but i like to see technology at it's most inspired. i like technology saying "o my god, this is gonna be so cool" more than "o my god so many people are gonna like this" and especially more than "o my god this is gonna make us lots of cash." i sort of like jerry-rigged technology. i'm amazed personally that wood coasters work at all. but you're right it comes down to an aesthetic preference.
Message updated 8/9/2005 6:55:30 PM by hrrytraver
CoastrGlxy

8/9/2005 3:10:08 PM
Quote:
Timberman said:
As for what I've done in my free time, my reference points for recreation include skateboarding and roller skating on metal wheels, sled riding, riding and occasionally crashing BMX and road-racing bicycles, pick-up games of tackle football and smear-the-queer (basically tag with a football and tackling instead of tagging - oh, and PC was a foreign concepts to nine-years-olds in 1979), jumping off rocks and bridges into water, sparring, trying to emulate WWF wrestlers in living rooms, riding go-karts, jumping off garages and playground equipment, impromptu diving contests at the local pool, getting into occasional fights, climbing and jumping out of trees, and rolling down large, grassy hillsides. Do kids still do these things? I had my toes cut off and suffered a concussion and three broken bones by my late teens just from the type of stuff I've mentioned, and I was still generally considered the sickly weakling among my group of friends. This was what we used to call "growing up" and "having fun." Bloody noses, skinned knees, it was all just part of the territory.

God, I'm sounding old. I'll stop now.

I was born in 1979! But I experienced almost everything you just listed including the “smear” game you mentioned. And I do agree that it seems like today’s kids don’t get to do as much of this stuff b/c the world is so scary now, but that’s a whole ‘nother topic. I very much enjoy physical activities, played football (high school & backyard), took tae kwon do and always scoffed at guys playing ultimate frisbee on the fields at college wondering why they weren’t playing tackle football. But for some reason when it comes to the coasters I almost feel disappointed if I got too beat up. Some roughness is fine but I just don’t feel like they’re inherently supposed to hurt people. Bottom line.
WAR2174

8/9/2005 4:23:06 PM
Born in 77! I have a three inch thick medical record from all the stupid stuff I did. But as our generation grows up and has kids( I have two), we want our kids to be safer and healthier. If my child was hurt on a roller coaster, I would never forgive myself. Most (Arrow's excluded) steel coasters are smooth enough that injuries are rare yet still deliver unique g forces and inversions. Accidents happen, they are unavoidable sometimes. But a coaster that hurts people almost everytime, that is taking it too far. I don't mind getting beat up myself, but I won't take my kids on most wooden coasters. Alot of people hold to that, so they grow up not wanting to ride them.Ridership is down, ride gets removed. That's usually how it works anyways.

I may have simplified it, but my point is that newer generations want sleaker, safer stuff generally, in all parts of life not just coasters.
Message updated 8/9/2005 4:25:19 PM by WAR2174
Timberman

8/9/2005 6:30:45 PM
Just for the sake of clarification, I don't necessarily want all my wooden coasters as rough as a game of smear the queer. The point I was tryiing to make is that if most of your recreation as a kid involves some sort of physicality and the occasional trip to the ER, the relatively minor pounding of a dynamic coaster can much more easily be taken in stride. I'm a father too, and of course I would never subject my kid to gratuituous risk or punishment, but I sure hope the boy's willing to ride the Cyclone with his old man when the time comes.

Incidentally, I'm proud to say he already had five rides in utero, as the day we discovered Momma Timbers was pregnant was the day AFTER we spent an afternoon at Coney Island. Chubie doesn't seem the worse for wear, although I'd say he has pretty healthy sense of adventure.
Message updated 8/9/2005 6:39:00 PM by Timberman
WAR2174

8/9/2005 7:54:50 PM
I know what you mean, my daughter got a ride on Alpengeist while in development. Now she loves coasters! She loves Loch Ness, and Big Bad Wolf, and wants to go on every one she sees a picture of.
Also, youre right. Rough ones don't bother me too much, but the world over all has taken much more of a turn towards calmness. In the coaster world, that is probably based on threats of lawsuits.
BobFunland

8/9/2005 8:30:03 PM
Quote:
Timberman said:
Incidentally, I'm proud to say he already had five rides in utero, as the day we discovered Momma Timbers was pregnant was the day AFTER we spent an afternoon at Coney Island. Chubie doesn't seem the worse for wear, although I'd say he has pretty healthy sense of adventure.

You aren't one of those coster-count-conscious enthusiasts that counts those five as credits, do you? I mean, it wouldn't be as bad as locking your kid in the car to pick up a credit at a KIDDIE park, but still funny nonetheless.
Timberman

8/10/2005 12:01:18 AM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
You aren't one of those coster-count-conscious enthusiasts that counts those five as credits, do you? I mean, it wouldn't be as bad as locking your kid in the car to pick up a credit at a KIDDIE park, but still funny nonetheless.

Are you kidding me, Bob? We spent an entire afternoon trying to pin down the exact date of conception to see if the boy could claim any of the coasters from an earlier trip to Great Adventure. I was hoping that he got a ride on the Viper.

But seriously... I was more worried that those trips on the Cyclone might have somehow rearranged his DNA or something. I can honestly say I've never left my kid in the car while I paid $17 to ride a kiddie coaster, but I did take a small coaster road trip (okay, a medium coaster road trip) at a time when Momma Timbers was great with child and couldn't go. She was very understanding (okay, sort of understanding).

Pardon me for hijacking this thread with coaster-related family melodrama, but we also managed to incorporate roller coasters into Chubie's birth announcement. All of my side of the family happened to be gathered in Seaside Heights, and we went to the boardwalk. Momma Timbers uncharacteristically stayed off the rides, and everyone assumed she was sick. When we got back to my aunt and uncle's house, however, we posted a digital picture on the TV of my wife folornly pointing to a sign that said pregnant women should not ride the Looping Coaster. That got the point across.

Hercules

8/10/2005 4:52:02 PM
I would like to start this all off by saying, "Old Hat"? There have only been two built and they are regarded as two very good coasters.

Quote:
WAR2174 said:
Having a major wooden roller coaster would boost the "cred" of SFGA's coasters. However, with so many wooden coasters being built all of a sudden, SF looks more like a bandwagon jumper than an innovator. I am not sure that it would stand out over the mass of woodies coming out next year. It would have to be stellar.

First, we don't know what the layout is going to be or anything. We got a big jolt out of the announcement of The Voyage and now we are expecting something that will just kick the crap out of us. That was a pretty big knock to what Great Adventure has. But of course, we don't know what they have in store. What if it is going to be the tallest wooden coaster? Don't you think that has enough behind it to really make it stand out? And, I don't really think they are going with innovative here anyway. Sure, they might want to get the record and stuff, but I think the credibility comment that you made is kind of off. They are filling in a void. They will be trying to make a great wood coaster, something they have not had for a while at that park. I think that is what is underlying everything. They are just closing a gap in their attempt to become a superb park.

Quote:
PeterD said:
You have to take into account when the ride was built. At the time of its construction, it was one of the best inverted coasters in the world (along with its other clones). Amusement parks weren't as popular 13 years ago, so SFI didn't think that enthusiasts would travel around the country and realize that this is a clone. Now it’s too late for another inverted coaster.

I agree with what you said about the time in which the ride was built, but, I'm pretty sure people knew it was a clone.

Quote:
WAR2174 said:
The park is between America's largest and fifth largest cities, and yet it seemed to be forgotten for a while. They got some great stuff like Nitro and Medusa, but that wasn't enough to seperate the park from the pack. Someone at Six Flags finally realized the potential they have there. Now they have improved theming and overall beauty, and have added coasters that will give it attention from around the world.

Forgotten? I don't know if I would say that or what. Great Adventure has one of the weirdest histories in amusement/theme park history. I have become intrigued and engulfed in it over the last months. It has so much that I can't even begin to start. However, it did have one of the most odd coaster collections at one point. Just think, back in the early 90's Viper was their big (new) attraction and they only had 5 total coasters. Then in 1998 it was The Chiller (very weird). Then in 1999 they finally got something that was really a main headliner in Medusa. They really got it going with Nitro and the rest is history with that. You have to look at the odd ownership and management throughout the years to really understand. They basically took the role of building some stuff and then just working their way up. They had some problems in terms of the corporation and in terms of ownership and ride removal and ride swapping and all kinds of crazy stuff. They are finally working their way to rounding out a pretty impressive collection of coasters. Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the way guest relations was run and how dirty the park was.

Quote:
WAR2174 said:
A pre-fab coaster sounds like a very European thing to do. Americans like for their coasters to be rough and unique. I'm sure this will still be a big hit though.

Eh, depends.

Quote:
BobFunland said:
Not the average park-goer though. They generaly prefer a glass-smooth ride, which is why these rides will probably take off. I'm with Timberman, I usually like a good jolting in a woodie, but I know we are in the minority.

I co
Message updated 8/10/2005 4:58:08 PM by Hercules
mrceagle

8/10/2005 5:44:42 PM
Thing is you older coaster are going to be rough. and many of the wood coaster in the US are older. Europ jsut started there park boom and have allot on new coaster in time I think they will catch up in roughnes to the older coaster in europ. I don't think every coasater in europ is planed to be perfactly smooth.
larrygator

8/10/2005 11:43:58 PM
^what a contrast in writing styles in the last two posts
CoastrGlxy

8/12/2005 7:42:11 AM
Quote:
Hercules said:
I would like to start this all off by saying, "Old Hat"? There have only been two built and they are regarded as two very good coasters.

Sorry I just needed something catchy that rhymed with "All That". It's just the marketer in me.

Good thread though. And all the coaster-related family stuff is interesting as I'll be starting a fam. in a few years.

hrrytraver

8/12/2005 9:49:53 AM
incidentally, could anyone decribe to me or link to a good article about the "prefabricated track"? i couldn't find any websites that went into detail about the nature of this type of track. "anyone actually ridden the two in europe" was the first sentence of this long thread, and no one spoke up on that. anyone?..............
Message updated 8/13/2005 4:06:51 PM by hrrytraver
BobFunland

8/15/2005 12:10:55 AM
"A timber scaffold forms the substructure of this very special wooden roller coaster, incorporating a track made of industrially pre-machined and precisely finished wood veneer."

Basically, it's more refined than your typical wood track.
Timberman

8/16/2005 12:44:18 AM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
"A timber scaffold forms the substructure of this very special wooden roller coaster, incorporating a track made of industrially pre-machined and precisely finished wood veneer."

Basically, it's more refined than your typical wood track.

Yes, just like Velveeta is more refined than cheese.

hrrytraver

8/16/2005 12:52:43 PM
thunderbolt=sharp chedder. cyclone=gorgonzola. wildcat=limberger. lightning racer=american. new prefab=spray cheese.
BobFunland

8/19/2005 3:37:52 PM
Something that was brought up elsewhere that would pertain to this thread: Intamin Wood Patent

edit: Go here and look up patent # 6,550,393
Message updated 8/21/2005 1:52:46 PM by BobFunland
Timberman

8/20/2005 12:35:03 PM
Nice find, B-Fun. Very interesting reading. Somewhat depressing but interesting nonetheless. Other patents of interest:

6,352,282 -- roller coaster airbag (we knew this was coming)

5,218,910 -- roller coaster with prone seating that inflates to the contours of the riders' bodies
Message updated 8/20/2005 12:36:02 PM by Timberman
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics