Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 4 ] [ 1 ] 2  3  4 
Author The Most Underrated Parks
RCGenius

5/28/2005 5:42:29 AM
What parks do ya'll think are some of the most underrated parks & why do you think that park should deserve more recognition? Mine would be Dorney Park b/c not a lot of people give a lot of recognition to one of the smaller Cedar Fair parks. Dorney Park's a really great park. It has Steel Force, Talon, Dominator, Laser, Thunderhawk, and more. Now w/the addition of Hydra: the Revenge, this park should hopefully get the recognition that it deserves.
benleibo

5/30/2005 8:30:56 PM
I think that Knott's Berry Farm is underrated. It's not too big and nearby Disneyland is the big tourist attraction. Its got some great rides though and a good balance between thrill and family attractions. The nation's first theme park is a great one, with Ghostrider, Xcelerator, and now Silver Bullet.
BobFunland

6/1/2005 1:45:45 AM
Great Adventure. For years I had heard that it was a dump but when I visited it was far from that. It was a clean park, it had fair pricing, a great collection of rides and was themed VERY well in some places. I think that people should go to the park and judge themselves, because I was completely suprised.

Note: Im not discrediting what others have said in the past completely, but the park is lookin' good this year

--------------------
It's Playtime!
Swimace

6/1/2005 12:30:49 PM
That park seems to have made a lot of internal improvements in addition to the instalation of Kingda Ka which looks surprisingly well themed.

I think Hersheypark was a very underrated park before the addition of Storm Runner.
mrceagle

6/2/2005 4:28:47 PM
Every park in NE exet SFNE. the area has many parks with some amazing rides. by the way on this site SFNE is one of the lowist rater parks in NE.

Canobie lake - Classic park with an amazing wood coaster and some great thrill rides that comploments ts many famly rides. the park also has a Disney like dark ride.

LAke Compounce - another classic park with 2 great wood coasters wildcat and the world renowned Bolderdash

Funtown Splashtown - This water park amusment park is quickly growing into somthign big. with the 220ft Dragons Decent S&S tower and the amazign CCI coaster Excaliber they are on there way.

Story land - This park the closist you can get to a disney park without actually going. the landscaping is perfect and the staff frendly wearign there themed uniforms. The park has a number of Custom themed ride and atractions mostly all of which were done nhouse at there animatronics and idea departments.
CCTrack

6/12/2005 4:07:38 PM
I think Geauga Lake is underrated. They have some pretty good coasters and great water parks and they are building a whole new water park for the 2006 season. Maybe if Geauga Lake did something big in the next couple of years they would get some out-of-state publicity
sfo1

6/12/2005 4:14:48 PM
^I totally agree. I have been going to Geauga ever since I was born practically, when it was mostly a picnic park in the mid-90's, to the Six Flags Era, and now the Cedar Fair era.

It is really making fantastic strides. Spotless midways, clean reatrooms, friendlier help, and a more family-oriented atmosphere are some of the nice improvements I've seen. Not to mention the brand new WWK for this season and next year, and the low admission price.
mrceagle

6/13/2005 2:17:02 AM
That sort of info is always good to hear. I'm missign so much when it come to parks. it's jsut too hard to get out and vissit many of these parks. I jsut don't have the money. Some day though.
RCGenius

6/13/2005 5:59:47 AM
I agree w/Swimace saying how Hersheypark was underrated b/f the addition of Storm Runner. Back in 2003, I remembered that I went to HP a lot & I didn't see a lot of guests coming to the park that much. HP's attendance b/f Storm Runner opened was dropping steadily b/c they just didn't have that one coaster that'll have visitors coming back for more. Now w/Storm Runner operating, GPs & coaster enthusiasts are really starting to give HP the recognition that it deserved for a long time only b/c HP has 1 out of only 8 rocket coasters operating throughout the world.

Today's my 16th birthday & I can't wait till I can start driving. I also can't wait for next yr. so that when I get my driver's license, I can travel to amusement parks w/o hearing my parents saying, "Who's gonna take you to all of these amusement parks?"
Message updated 6/13/2005 6:05:42 AM by RCGenius
mrceagle

6/13/2005 8:52:55 AM
I remember those dayys. Happy Birthday!!

Anyways I have wanted to go into Hershey park for many years. but I could never convince my parents to go in. we would stop and go through the Dark ride tour and not go into the park itself. The coasters they have are great as far as apeal to me. I agree storm runner is defoernt and likely offers a deforent appeal.
CCTrack

6/13/2005 8:53:03 AM
I'm glad someone agrees with me about Geauga Lake becaus ei know a lot of people dont like Geauga Lake. I havent been there for a while my family usually goes to Cedar Point every year but i want to go to Geauga Lake to see what they have got.
mrceagle

6/13/2005 8:57:16 AM
I've never been there so I can't say much. it looks like a great park ovr all. I actually like the idea of movign the water park because they can use the land that is not water park with planes to conect the two sides of the park by a walk way. i think in the ong run it will become a much better park.
lencho_79

6/14/2005 2:32:15 PM
I remember people complainig about SF World of Adventure ,now Geauga Lake. I actually thought it was really clean and well use of the landscape compared to my home town SF Great America. I haven't gone to Geauaga Lake yet, but when SF owned the park, it was kept up well, but too late now
mrceagle

6/15/2005 1:18:22 PM
I need to tyr and get out to Ohio for a week or soo and hit the parks out there
WAR2174

6/15/2005 9:33:28 PM
I think Dollywood is vastly underrated. It is a very clean park in a beautiful mountain location. It has some great rides combined with good food, shopping, and shows. I know it is owned by the ditzy Dolly Parton, but whoever she has running the place, really knows what they are doing. It is an outstanding park.
CCTrack

6/15/2005 9:49:11 PM
Where is Dollywood at because i have been hearing a lot about it and it sounds like a cool park and maybe sometime if it isnt too far away i can go up and check it out.
mrceagle

6/16/2005 12:10:28 PM
It's located in Pegon Forge TN.

Here's the RCDB info on the park

I don't know if I woudl call it underated. the travil chanel has used the park many times for there shows. they won't even look at some parks. there always beign mentioned in the media and in print.

By the way Dollywood is run by Silver dollor intertainment. they own and operate Silver dollor city and Branson USA or wahtever it's called now.
Red Rascal

6/16/2005 9:11:14 PM
Waldameer in Erie, PA, is extremely underrated. It features many rides/attractions that cater to everyones tastes. The park and waterpark are both free, but require either tickets or a wristband for use of attractions. I recommend buying the $15 wristband because most of the major rides require 3 tickets ($3), and the tickets will fly by if someone wanted to ride a lot. Anyways, I visited the park a few days ago, so I'll leave you with some pics...

The small, yet charming, Waldameer Park:

L. Ruth Express takes its passengers on a voyage around the park and through a tunnel:

The park's newest attraction is the Steel Dragon spinning coaster:

The Ferris Wheel at dusk:

--------------------
~ Coaster Count: 108 ~

What's life if you never get to the Point?
sfo1

6/16/2005 9:14:30 PM
Waldeemer looks like a very fun little family park, my family wants to hit that and Conneaut Lake for a day...they both lok like nice little underrated parks.
Red Rascal

6/16/2005 9:34:50 PM
You'll have a blast. I haven't been to Conneaut yet, but heard a lot of positive things about the park and the Blue Streak. The great thing about both parks is the free admission. Have fun!
sfo1

6/16/2005 9:48:16 PM
Thanks...we'll probably go later on this summer, after GL and CP are covered. I think just paying general admission would be a better deal... a marathon is calling on Blue Streak.
Red Rascal

6/17/2005 7:15:51 AM
General admission is good only if you take part in the attractions. Many older people who visit amusement parks, don't ride much, or don't even ride at all, therefore, free admission is very convenient.

Also, keep in mind that the parks are seperated by a bit more than an hour.
Cyclonic

6/17/2005 11:56:19 AM
I don't think Geauga lake is underrated at all, and in fact, I consider it one of the poorer parks I visited last season. I also don't think Dorney is underrated, it is a nice park, but nothing special.

Wladameer is an excellent, underrated park. It is very well kept, inexpensive, and fun. They have made the right ride additions to the park over the years, and hopefully Ravine Flyer II will put the park on the map.

Canobie is another very underrated park. Again, a great selection of rides and a nice atmosphere, and the best arcade anywhere, period.

SFA has, in my opinion, one of the most underrated coaster collections anywhere. An outstanding hyper, a Flying Dutchman, the best spagetti bowl, and two outstandingly well kept woodies. You can't go wrong with that line-up. They do have problems, mostly in staffing, but the park is fairly clean, adn the landscaping is great.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Coaster Events Page Updated 6/16/05

Nobody sees the Wizard! Not noway! Not nohow!

Hercules

6/17/2005 12:05:36 PM
Six Flags America really does look like it has an amazing collection of coasters, with my perception being on the outside looking in. I was really excited the day that I was going to go but had a crazy morning and wound up having to "settle" for another trip to Great Adventure. Just from my standpoint, I would consider Six Flags America to have a better looking collection than say Paramount's Kings Dominion.
sfo1

6/17/2005 1:49:07 PM
Quote:
Red Rascal said:
General admission is good only if you take part in the attractions. Many older people who visit amusement parks, don't ride much, or don't even ride at all, therefore, free admission is very convenient.

Also, keep in mind that the parks are seperated by a bit more than an hour.

I thought they were generally in the same area of PA, but that's a little further than I though. But both parks probably won't take long at all, so I don't think that'd be a big problem.

Yeah, I think it was Coasterimage I was visiting last night, and it said Conneaut and Waldameer were separated by 45 miles. Sounds like an hour excactly, as that's roughly the distance between me and my home park.

--------------------
Geauga Lake - The Fun Is Back.
mrceagle

6/17/2005 3:00:12 PM
Quote:
Cyclonic said:
Wladameer is an excellent, underrated park. It is very well kept, inexpensive, and fun. They have made the right ride additions to the park over the years, and hopefully Ravine Flyer II will put the park on the map.

Canobie is another very underrated park. Again, a great selection of rides and a nice atmosphere, and the best arcade anywhere, period.

SFA has, in my opinion, one of the most underrated coaster collections anywhere. An outstanding hyper, a Flying Dutchman, the best spagetti bowl, and two outstandingly well kept woodies. You can't go wrong with that line-up. They do have problems, mostly in staffing, but the park is fairly clean, adn the landscaping is great.

I have to get out and see Waldamer it looks like a great little park. Good tree cover which I like and it seems to have a relaxing feel.

Canobie's arcade is verry good and that's jsut the main one. You can play both classic and modern video and Pinball games. not to mention all the SDC and PTC attractions in the park.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
larrygator

6/17/2005 3:59:04 PM
Quote:
Cyclonic said:

I concur, very underrated coaster collection, and they have an invertigo boomerang (I think that's the proper terminology), not as good Giant Boomerang but much better than a standard bommerang.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
benleibo

6/17/2005 4:28:23 PM
SFA does have a very good coaster lineup. I have heard bad things about the park as a whole though, mostly SFGAdv-style complaints: dirty, ugly, poor maintenance, rides closed, etc.
Cyclonic

6/17/2005 6:50:38 PM
Quote:
sfo1 said:
I thought they were generally in the same area of PA, but that's a little further than I though. But both parks probably won't take long at all, so I don't think that'd be a big problem.

Yeah, I think it was Coasterimage I was visiting last night, and it said Conneaut and Waldameer were separated by 45 miles. Sounds like an hour excactly, as that's roughly the distance between me and my home park.

It is about an hour between the two. Do Waldameer during the day, and then hop over to Conneaut at night. Conneaut is open until ten most nights. This is what I did earlier this year, and had no problem getting in everything I wanted to do, and then some.
Cyclonic

6/17/2005 7:03:48 PM
Quote:
benleibo said:
SFA does have a very good coaster lineup. I have heard bad things about the park as a whole though, mostly SFGAdv-style complaints: dirty, ugly, poor maintenance, rides closed, etc.

Those are mostly your tyipcal Six Flags complaints. You get them with every park. The park IS hit or miss. I had a bad visit earlier this year, but that was the only bad visit I had ever had at the park, and judging from later trip reports, they just had a very off day. I will be back in September, and I hope to have a better visit then.

BTW, Hercules, I am going down there for Pitch Black ERT, which is an event on Sept. 10 that includes lunch and ERT on Superman at night. It is an excellent event, and I highly recommend it for you. Plus, you DON"T have to be a club member, and it is the same price for everyone. I will post when I get more details on it. It is listed on my EVENTS page.
Page [ 1 of 4 ] [ 1 ] 2  3  4 
Clicky Web Analytics