Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author CHICAGO Trip .. SFGA & Santas Village
BigJohnWC

8/27/2002 3:24:00 PM
Saturday - Santa's Village

A good family park, bordering on excellent. Lots of flat rides, including a beautifully painted Music Express. Nice water park too. Food prices were a lil high, but not outrageous ... and they got even better when you consider you could bring in your own picnic basket full of your own food from home. This place really reminded me of what a traditional family fun park is like. I think Lake Winnepesaukah pulls off the "traditional" a bit better, with the lake setting and some "older" rides, but this is a very nice park nonetheless. THe SNOWBALL spinning ride was great, basically a winter-themed MAD TEA PARTY. The Petting Zoo was very cute and fun, tons of baby goats and animals of all ages (actually rivals the one at Disney's Animal Kingdom for overall interaction with the animals). The TYPHOON LOOPING COASTER is rather interesting to look at and ride. It's not as breath-taking or thrilling as most of the modern steel loopers, but it's design is rather unique and is a pretty strong showing for a smaller park such as this. If you're looking for solely for thrills, this is not the park for you, but if you're looking for a park for great family fun where ALL AGES can have fun (including the family thrillseaker), this is an excellent choice.

Six Flags Great America...

Hmmm... well, first off, I'm pleased to say that this was a very well-themed and good looking park. Plus, there seemed to be an abundance of rides per square foot, which minimized long walks to get to a ride. All of the water rides seemed very basic, which was a dissapointment given that this is a "theme" park, although they did all manage to get me pretty wet. I couldn't ride BATMAN because I didn't fit into the restraints, but I was VERY grateful for the test seat out front to discover this BEFORE I waited 60 minutes to ride. The major problem at this park came in the HIGH FOOD PRICES (was over $20 for my fiancee and I to have the equivalent of $8 from Kentucky Fried Chicken) and the p*ssy help. The ride ops and workers were almost overly unfriendly and unhelpful. On the AMERICAN EAGLE, we handed my glasses to the ride op to secure in the storage bins (just as we would at Indiana Beach, Holiday World, P Kings Island, and Disney parks) and she (who had just that moment made sure her belongings were secure in the lockers behind us) laid my glasses on the concrete floor by the post!!!!! With multiple trains running, this was not a good idea, especially with storage bins 10 feet from her. I don't think one ride op smiled the whole day. As for the coasters, here's my list for THIS TRIP (not for my lifetime visits to the park)
IRON WOLF ... Restraints were not pleasant during ride
AMERICAN EAGLE ... waaaaaaay too much braking
VIPER ... best wood coaster in the park, decent air time
RAGING BULL ... didn't feel like waiting that long
DEJA VU ... CLOSED (big surprise)
SHOCKWAVE ... CLOSED (I think this is leaving the park)
WHIZZER ... fun little coaster, definitely a pleasant ride (although I like Indiana Beach's TIG'RR more)
SPACELY SPROCKET'S SPACE ROCKETS ... was really upset I couldn't ride this family coaster without an child. Lousy rule considering there was no line and I LOVE to evaluate family coasters for the few that have some good kick to them.
BATMAN ... Couldn't Ride, didn't fit in restraints
DEMON ... We really liked this coaster, the themeing just made it so much fun and so different from the typical steel looping coaster.

Overall .. fun trip ... Both parks had some real pleasant surprises.

<
Cyclonic

8/27/2002 8:11:00 PM
Glad you had a fun weekend. The Tythoon does look like an interesting coaster, it gives me the impression from the photos that it is a portable ride.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!
BigJohnWC

8/28/2002 9:01:00 AM
No .. not portable. It was the only coaster ever designed by the Italian ride company who built it.

Was actually plagued with problems its first season, because the designers weren't truly coaster manufacturers.

It is a decent ride though, a d*mn good one for a smaller park like this to have a looping steel coaster.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics