Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Kingda Ka Media Day Review
Cyclonic

5/20/2005 10:20:01 PM

After a few delays and much anticipation, Six Flags Great Adventure has opened the world's tallest, fastest roller coaster, Kingda Ka. And thanks to the good folks over at GAdvCentral I was able to attend the media preview event. Of course, I did not forget my camera.

The media event was scheduled to start at 11 AM. I got to the park just after 10, and after getting in the gate, I waited for Diana (Rickyswmn at GAdvCentral) to get me in as her guest. Moments later Wade (RTneedsTLC at GAdvCentral) walked up and we headed into the media area.

The media was set up on the lawn next to the coaster. It seemed that just about every station from Philadelphia and NYC sent a crew, as well as countless newspaper and magazine people. There were also a few ACE'ers and folks from other websites. The weather was perfect so as Diana and Wade were talking to folks I broke away to capture some images of the coaster as well as this final part of the Golden Kingdom.

While we all know the coaster is impressive just by looking at its stats, it becomes really apparent once you are up close. This ride is massive. Further, the ride is complimented with excellent theming. There are great details from the colorful lamps to the stone and wood facade station. Everything here as well as in the rest of the Golden Kingdom makes you feel as if you are in an entirely different world.

Entering Ka's little corner of the Golden Kingdom, you first come to the station itself.

While the station is right here, the queue doesn't start until you get further back. Next to the station is a gift stand.

From here you can go several different ways. The Q-Bot entrance is off to the left here.

Also to the left is access to a viewing platform that gives you a great look at the ride's launch.

In the middle there is a snack stand, and to the right of that, the entrance to Ka's queue line.

This area also has the test seat.

Before you get to the queue there is a locker area. It should be noted, they do not allow any lose objects on the ride, everything must be locked up or held by a non-rider.

The queue itself splits up immediately for the two sides of the station.

It wraps around the lawn and under the ride. The queue is even nicely themed, as well as covered from the heat of the sun in most areas. There is even a Dippin' Dots stand halfway through.

I got back just in time for things to start. Kristin Siebeneicher came to the podum and the media gathered around.

I rushed forward to get my own photos. It was just a short presentation. Park management presented a check for 15,000 dollars to the Children's Miracle Network, which was earned by the sale of seats on the first public train on eBay. Then with confetti and fanfare, the train was launched.

Everyone headed into the station, and we soon boarded ourselves.

I boarded the second train, second to last seat.
bb_dg

5/20/2005 10:40:16 PM
GREAT report. i cant wait to get out there!
tacoking

5/21/2005 11:49:49 PM
Hey Cyclonic! My bud! My pal! Love the report. It's absolute gold!

Now, could I use some of those Kingda Ka photos for my website (www.airtimecentral.com)? I'd give you full credit, of course.
Cyclonic

5/22/2005 12:03:56 AM
Go for it. I'll have more stuff up in the next day or so.
sfo1

5/22/2005 1:00:48 AM
Excellent TR. The Golden Kingdom looks fantastic...SF has really outdone themselves on theming. Also, the KK pictures just blew me away out of excitement.

I have to ask, what was the ride like with OTSR's? They look very roomy and comfortable, actually.
tacoking

5/22/2005 11:03:12 AM
Quote:
Cyclonic said:
Go for it. I'll have more stuff up in the next day or so.

Sweet. Thanks man.

--------------------

Revenge of the Mummy is the greatest ride ever!
coaster05

5/22/2005 11:06:37 AM
Great pictures and that theming looks incredible. I may actually give GADV another chance since last year it was my most dissapointing park experience ever.
Hercules

5/23/2005 12:49:56 PM
Quote:
sfo1 said:
Excellent TR. The Golden Kingdom looks fantastic...SF has really outdone themselves on theming. Also, the KK pictures just blew me away out of excitement.

I have to ask, what was the ride like with OTSR's? They look very roomy and comfortable, actually.

The OSTR's weren't that bad. I had a little trouble getting comfortable in them at first, but they are pretty nice and you just have to figure it all out once you get in them. I was used to the handles because of Storm Runner, so that wasn't a problem, but they were just a little different. Once the ride gets going though, you don't realize anything like that. They are not uncomfortable, but you just have to get used to them.

Oh yeah, great report

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

2005 Trip to Dorney - 2
Rides on Hydra - 21
Stage of personal feeling for the ride: Still trying to get to like it
Message updated 5/23/2005 12:50:27 PM by Hercules
tacoking

5/23/2005 6:51:45 PM
Hey Cyclonic, I put some of the Kingda Ka photos up.
mrceagle

5/24/2005 10:14:01 AM
Good trip report. Great info. I'mm Looking forward to ridign this thing Thursday is all works out.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics