Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Ok Knoebels Fans, Enlighten Me!
PhantomNik

5/18/2005 9:11:23 AM
Well, I am poised, in less than one month, to become (I hope) one of.......the many, the proud,.....the Knoebels Krazies! Ok, I know, pretty lame but that's the best I could think of right now!

I will be going on a tour of Eastern PA parks from June 9-14. We will be heading to Dorney (Coaster Madness '05!) and Hershey, but in between, we're taking a day to head to Knoebels, at long last! What's nice is that the day we will be there (the 11th) is the last Saturday that they offer the one-price ride-all-day ticket.

I have wanted to go to Knoebels for years, and finally decided I just had to fit it into the schedule! Phoenix and Twister, plain and simple, look amazing!! And I've heard plenty on this site (all good) about the Flyers and Skooters. So, Knoebels fans everywhere, your info is needed! Any useful tips would be great, particularly in regards to what a good plan of attack would be for a single day in the park (i.e. good times to ride the coasters, stuff like that).

And one big question - do they let "adults" (I use quotes because inside an amusement park I'm an adult by age only ) ride solo on the High Speed Thrill Coaster?

Fire away, guys, and many thanks in advance!!
larrygator

5/18/2005 11:25:21 AM
Adults are more than welcome to ride alone on HSTC. Just don't expect a mild ride. You shouldn't have to worry about lines at particular times. People just tend to meander around
coaster05

5/18/2005 12:46:03 PM
I have never waited more then five minutes for anything there. Hoipe your ride on HSTC is better then mine.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/18/2005 2:42:32 PM
Jumping in to say the same - I've never run into lines that were longer than about 10 minutes, even on the big coasters. And the people there, staff and visitors, are downright COOL. Seriously, that place does good things to people...

Some tips:

* You MUST try the white birch beer, available at any of the park's food concessions. Also, the fudge at Stony Gables (right next to the Flyers) is amazing. And if you like ice cream, consider trying the Teaberry or Bittersweet flavors at the ice cream stand along the midway (I think it's near the Downdraft ride). Finally, if you're really hungry, drop into the Alamo restaurant, and try the chicken & waffles dinner, complete with hot salad. Deee-licious.

* You can find plenty of tips here on TPC regarding the Flying Scooters - it's something of a learned artform, but the advice given herein is great - check the Flyer reviews, and read through some of the posted comments. Whatever you do, though, don't slam the sails back and forth on this ride - if you do, there's a chance the ride op will slow down the ride.

* The longest line you'll encounter will almost definitely be for the Skooters - but don't let it faze you - it'll be well worth the wait.

* I don't care if it is an extra $1.20 - RIDE THE HAUNTED MANSION. Period.

* Just enjoy the park, and be sure to explore and take in every little corner that you can. Knoebels is full of quirky shops and attractions - each time I go, I seem to discover something new to appreciate. It really is an amazing park, and well worth all of the praise that we shower upon it.

* Edited to add: When you're in the park, don't discount the "simpler" rides - they can have a surprising lot to offer. For example, the Antique Car ride gives you a wonderful little "tour" of the Phoenix's tracks from the inside, the Pioneer Train heads right under the Twister, the Flume offers a great little jaunt through the woods, and the Scenic Skyway is just amazing for photography of the park from above. And the Grand Carousel is a huge surprise to many who would otherwise pass up on such a ride - the ring catch game is a whole lotta fun.

--------------------
It's not a successful ride on the Flying Scooter unless you've got bruises to tell the story for you.
Message updated 5/18/2005 2:47:46 PM by adriahna
coaster05

5/18/2005 2:56:59 PM
One stand where they sell these good powdered sugar things sells blue birch beer it is not nearly as good. The white at the other stands is amazing. At the back of the coal mining museum they have a park history which is pretty cool also. The carousel museum is also very nice.
larrygator

5/18/2005 5:23:56 PM
* On the carousel, you need to be on an outside horse to get the rings

* Auto Skooters - take one of the bigger cars (they hit harder)

* try the fried pierogies (near the Haunted Mansion)

* you will get wet from the splashing on the flume

* Don't waste your time with Boat Tag

* and everything adriahna said
*FreeBird*

5/18/2005 7:11:10 PM
Don't forget to ride the new Fandango. I still haven't found any reviews on it yet.
RCGenius

5/18/2005 8:53:33 PM
Hit Pheonix & Twister at least 2-3 times when you go there. Pheonix's my #2 favorite overall & Twister's #7. Pheonix's the airtime machine woody that you'll always want to ride & Twister has a lot of elements to be a great accompanient for Pheonix. Expect a good line for both woodies since they're the most popular rides. Also, ride the Haunted Mansion, which is one of the best dark rides around. Try out Cosmotron, Skooters, the Flume, Sklooosh, the Flyers, Downdraft, Power Surge, & the new Fandango. Basically, all I'm trying to say's to just enjoy your day at Knoebels & try to take the advantage of riding all of the unique rides that Knoebels provides b/c you won't find too many of these type of rides anywhere else. The atmosphere there's just incredible.
darkridrMD

5/19/2005 9:36:04 AM
I've been a couple times and still have yet to ride everything, so I'm taking notes from this as well! I just bought a Six Flags season pass and went to Great Adventure for the first time last weekend. As good as a time as I had, it made me miss the simpler,less frenzied atmosphere of Knoebels. And as Adriahna said, don't miss the Haunted House. I also enjoyed my ride on the old whip-reminds me of the portables that used to go through my neighborhood when I was a kid.
The Lado

5/19/2005 5:08:15 PM
Need to Know
I will try to give ya the low down. First off, 11-10 the park is open. However, the windows for handstamps open at 1015 and the ides at 11. (So you dont waiste any time, get them before 11.) Also, the park will close at 10 in kiddie land and city, but the area of the Bumper Cars should close at 10:15 and the area of the Wheel around 10:20. Btw: Go past the Giant Wheel and at the Alamo veer right and go by the Birthday Cake. Then go through the covered bridge and its to your right. (Thats so you dont ask me on your way in like everyone else.)

Rides
The Twister and Phoinex is a must, along with the Mansion, Bumper Cars, Fandango, Flyers, and my personal favorite the Power Surge. However, the Downdraft, Pioneer Train, Flume, and MGR (Merry-Go-Round) is badass too.

MGR- The only way to get rings are with outside horses and if you're really good, you can get two at a time.

The Mansion- In the skull room if you look back before you leave the room the lights come on, so look back and get a quick glimsp of how they do it.

Phoinex- Take the notorious 3rd seat, if possible.

Forget about the 1001, the Tilt, and Boat Tag. Issues, issues...Well, you can go to Boat Tag, just buy the balls to shoot the boats and dont go in the boats.

Food- Yes, Big Bens is the drink that is down there and is made in Catawissa, which is 10 minutes form the park. Try the white birch. They sell it at the campground store, the Rent-All building and at Totem Treats, next to the Sky Fighters in Kiddie Land. The Pizza at Cesari's is good along with the fries near the Alamo. But personally, a good funnel cake and snow cone is even better.

Games- Fascination. That's it.

Shops- The General Store is pretty cool along with the Chalet. But if your all into penny candies, try Kozmo's Clubhouse.

Btw, take a trip to the Carousel Musuem and the Miner's Musuem. They have some really interesting objects in there. And while your at the Miner's Musuem, check out the two live Eagles we have next door. Named after the founders, Henry and Hattie.

Well, thats about it. I could go on prolly, but I want ya to have some suprises. Enjoy!
PhantomNik

5/23/2005 1:05:01 PM
Many thanks to everyone for their tips so far on Knoebels! You guys are great and I knew I could count on you for some good information!

Keep the tips coming, as I am taking good notes!! I truly can't wait until June starts and my summer season kicks into high gear. At this point I'm practically drooling over the prospect of a ride on the Phoenix! Just 18 more days....
coaster05

5/23/2005 1:12:44 PM
I will have too wait to Phoenix Phall Phunfest if at all this year, but is definately worth the wait.
Knoebels

5/23/2005 4:48:19 PM
Hey, everbody said everything but one thing. There is a little known eating esablishment called the Potato Barn tucked back in the corner of the spinning top tables by the Haunted Mansion. It has the best Rib BBQ you will ever eat. There's usually not a line, and I go ther all the time. So, just a tip.
larrygator

5/23/2005 5:17:07 PM
Quote:
Knoebels said:
Hey, everbody said everything but one thing. There is a little known eating esablishment called the Potato Barn tucked back in the corner of the spinning top tables by the Haunted Mansion. It has the best Rib BBQ you will ever eat. There's usually not a line, and I go ther all the time. So, just a tip.

The BBQ Rib was OK, far from the best you will ever have. I haven't had one n 24 hours but my memory isn't that bad.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/23/2005 5:59:40 PM
So, when are you schlubs who made it to the park for the get-together going to post a TR??? We wanna know who all made it, and how it went!
larrygator

5/23/2005 10:21:01 PM
Quote:
adriahna said:
So, when are you schlubs who made it to the park for the get-together going to post a TR??? We wanna know who all made it, and how it went!

What happens at Knoebels stays at Knoebels!

Cyclonic (Nathan) or BobFunland (Joe) will probably do a TR since they took pictures. Hercules (Jay) also joined the fun and BobFunland brought his girlfriend Christina. I'll add my comments to one of their TRs or the ride reviews that get posted. I'll just leave it at The Flyer were snapping and the Skooters were hitting hard. I'll leave the funny comments for the TR.
PhantomNik

8/25/2005 12:53:09 PM
Just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for their tips and advice on Knoebels! I will at some point post a trip report, if I ever get a break from my chaotic job! But for now, I will say a few things regarding my trip to Knoebels back in June:

* The trip there overall was incredible! There's just a certain magic about that place that is just hard to describe. Never have I felt more like a kid again at a park than at Knoebels!!

* Two words - Friggin' Skooters!!!!! Wow, did I love these things! Such a long ride cycle combined with those feindishly wonderful cars. The hits I was both giving out and receiving were just insane!!

* Phoenix - my new #1 woodie, hands down. Simply phenominal! I just wrote a review for it, check there for more Phoenix praises! How do you spell airtime? Hmmmm, let me think.....P-H-O-E-N-I-X!!

* One of the coolest assortment of rides I have ever seen. So many great ones and so many unique ones!

* The flyers were awesome, but I don't think I got mine to "snap". Call me an idiot, but I don't know what "snapping" is or how to do it. Oh well, there's always next time!

* Food was fantastic and reasonably priced, which was refreshing!

Hopefully, I will make it back to Knoebels in the near future. The sooner, the better!!

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics