Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Ocean City, MD: April 10, 2005
Cyclonic

4/12/2005 7:56:27 PM
After SFA I stayed in a hotel in Baltimore. I really didn't know what I would be up to on Sunday, but finally settled on taking a ride out to Ocean City, MD. I'd never been there, and while a bit out of the way, it seemed like it would be a nice ride and I could catch some rides before heading home.

The drive took just about two and a half hours. It was a nice drive, little highway driving, but mostly four lanes and little traffic, through the fairly empty Eastern Shore of Maryland. I arrived at Ocean City at about 1 PM, and parked for free (the meters were not installed for the season yet) right next to Trimper's Rides.

I was delighted by what I saw outside Trimper's, a brand new KMG Freak Out:

I was drooling. This is a baby version of the KMG Afterburner, and if it was anything like it's big brother, it would be one hell of a ride. But, I headed inside to get some tickets and have a look around at everything else.

Inside is a treasure trove of old rides, mostly of the kiddie variety, but neat old rides none the less. The center piece of Trimper's is a beautifully kept Herschel-Spilman Carousel. It has the most wonderful collection of menagerie pieces I have ever seen. Besides the typical lions, tigers and garaffes, it also has a frog, cat, goat, reindeer, ostrage, roster, and this fantastic sea dragon.

The only things missing were the band organ, the music was being piped in, and a ring catch, though it looks like at one point it had both.

Also inside is a Mangels kiddie Ferris wheel

and the most beautifully decorated Mangels kiddie Whip I have ever seen.

The seats were even covered in velvet:

I next went out the other side of the building and into the back of Trimper's where there are several more kiddie rides, a couple of adult rides, and Tidal Wave, their boomerang coaster.

[img]http://cyclonic.smugmug.com/photos/19540452-M.jpg' border=0>

Also out here was the Toboggan, which had not been set up for the season yet.

Across the street are a few more adult rides, including a Matterhorn,

Zipper,

and a Tilt-A-Whirl.

Looking across the street I also discovered the Mirror Maze tucked in behind the Pirate's Cove.

I rounded the corner of the building and turned onto the boardwalk. The boardwalk here is not like what I am used to in Jersey. Here it is level with the beach, and at least at this location, they had built a parking lot right out on the beach. Further up there is a concrete sidewalk, wide and very nice I might add, that separates the actual boardwalk from the beach. I thought this was odd, but that is because it is not what I am used to.

Anyway, around the corner I came to the Haunted House.

It didn't look like much on the outside, a little beat up, but I figured it would be worth the three bucks to ride, and there was actually a little bit of a line to get on
Message updated 4/12/2005 8:02:36 PM by Cyclonic
Hercules

4/12/2005 8:35:23 PM
Good report. Eventhough it was only two hours, it seems like you had a little better time here then at Six Flags anyway. Sorry about the Freak Out situation. I don't know what it is like to be turned away from a ride like that, but that is kind of crazy that they had turned so many people away in that short period of time. That just doesn't seem worth having if you can't make as much money on it as you should. Tidal Wave looks fairly similar to that of the Sea Serpant at Morey's Piers. And the one time that I was at this place it was a little weird for me too, I guess just because it wasn't like what I had seen before. And I actually recall hearing about those fries before, from someone I know and also I believe on a Food Network special of some sort. But anyway, nice report and nice pictures as usual.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/16/2005 9:51:34 PM
Cyclonic, I knew you'd get a kick out of Trimpers' old indoor rides - that's a real collection of treasures, to be sure. Gorgeous carousel, one of the finest I've seen. And yes, that kiddie whip is fantastic. Did you get a chance to look at the old Art Nouveau ticket booth, as well? Downright magnificent. Glad you had a good time overall - Ocean City's one of our family's yearly destinations. Very cool.
Cyclonic

4/17/2005 5:55:30 PM
I sure did get a ook at it. Fntastic piece.

adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/18/2005 11:45:02 AM
Yessir, that's the one...
ABR

4/19/2005 10:17:10 PM
No Jolly Roger?
Oh well. Great trip report. The Playland Arcade is great, one of OC's top 3. Too bad about the Pier Rides. The Looping Star roller coaster was probably my favorite out of the 3 roller coasters in OC: Looping Star @ Pier Rides, Tidal Wave @ Trimper's and Wildcat @ Jolly Roger (no longer operating)

Although one thing that pissed me off about Jolly Roger was the fact that you could only ride the Wildcat TWICE with an unlimited ride wristband. I don't know if this has changed with the "new" (relocated) Wild Mouse.
figeb14927

4/5/2024 4:47:18 PM
This is a great start to a travel blog post! It sets the scene with the location, date, and a bit of personal backstory. I particularly enjoyed the legit PhD writers for hire detail about the free parking and the excitement about the new ride. Looking forward to hearing more about your Ocean City adventures!
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics