Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author Diffrences between the sixflags and paramont chain
MagnumMan

3/2/2005 6:33:42 PM
Quote:
ABR said:
I guess this is like comparing Wal-Mart to Neiman Marcus. They offer essentially the same thing (clothes) but if you pay more, you get more.

I liked the Wal-Mart to Neiman Marcus comparism there, ABR Nicely said...

--------------------
"I'd like to thank all the people who made Incredible Hulk, Titan, and Superman:Ride Of Steel (SFDL, a'course) possible...Big up to Intamin. You are some coaster geniouses. Gionvanola & B&M, I know you are one and the same...in so many ways. I get so choaked up at these moments..."

INCREDIBLE HULK IS THE BEST THRILL EVER!!! GET OUT AND RIDE THIS MONSTER!!
Dukeis#1

3/4/2005 8:40:46 PM
I have mixed feelings about Paramount. I could say that they are as a whole better run than Six Flags, but I *honestly* have a better time at Six Flags Over Georgia than I do Carowinds. Paramount does have the advantage with themeing and such, but from what I've experienced at Carowinds and Kings Dominion, Paramount seems to be nothing more than Six Flags with a bigger budget backing it up.

I've been visiting Carowinds since I was born, and I liked the park better pre-Paramount. True, it didn't have the 11 new coasters or so back in the pre-Paramount days, but customer service was much better and the park's name actually tied in with the themeing. I didn't visit the park back in it's 1970s glory days, but most of the people I've talked to would much rather have the Carowinds from back then over the Paramount's Carowinds from now.

I’ve never been to Kings Island, but it really looks like it blows Carowinds and Kings Dominion out of the water in terms of themeing and overall atmosphere. Maybe they spoil the crown of the chain a little too much.

I guess Paramount is the obvious better of the two, but on a rare occasion (like at Over Georgia, SF Great America, or Fiesta Texas) Six Flags can really give them a run for the money.
ABR

3/11/2005 11:39:50 PM
Dang, I didn't think anyone would like my post, thanks for the kind words
coaster05

3/12/2005 9:28:11 AM
I think if you take the top five from six flags they are on par with para.

I like sfgam and sfog both better then PKI(which is supposed to be their best) However KK is really weak. Six Flags main problem is their weak parks just suck and that doesn't make sense if some can be so good shouldn't the bad be at least average.
ABR

3/13/2005 1:01:47 AM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I think if you take the top five from six flags they are on par with para.

I like sfgam and sfog both better then PKI(which is supposed to be their best) However KK is really weak. Six Flags main problem is their weak parks just suck and that doesn't make sense if some can be so good shouldn't the bad be at least average.

Well, I've been to Six Flags Great America, although I've only been to Kings Dominion for Paramount. Since Great America was said to be a "better" Six Flags park, I'll copy/paste my comparison and have SFGam vs. Kings Dominion.

Rides
Great America (SF=1) Congratulations, Six Flags, you have an additional point! But the game has just begun!
Prices
Season Pass= Paramount
SFGAm: Season Pass $89.99 (wowsers)+ $30 parking (I assume that's right) = $119.99.
Kings: Season Pass $84.99 + $16 parking pass + $8 non-refundable parking fee on first visit (six flags refunds this) = $108.99
Day Admission= Kings Dominion (I believe it's a little less than SFGAm's $45, and the parking is $3 less)
Bang for your buck
Well, as stated previously, I felt Paramounts benefits were a little better, so it goes without saying, Paramount wins here.
Score for last 2 sections P=2, SF= 0.
Maintenance
Although not 100%, Paramount wins here. I see some rides at Kings Dominion that have been around for literally decades, and get no major upgrades. One thing I can't stand at Gam is that when a ride broke down (happened twice on my previous visit) they have to be tested 5,000 times before they reopened, a breakdown at Kings Dominion occured that was identical to one of the ones at Gam, and they didn't test the coaster at all. But as for basic maintenance........ Six Flags, defenitley. The rides may be showing their age, but not as bad as Kings Dominion. Of course, we can't forget about Deja Vu's extended vacation now can we? Plus, the last time I was there, two additonal large coasters were closed the entire day. (It was in the middle of the summer) (Tie: P= .50 SF= .50)
Customer Service
Paramount. Without a doubt. One thing I can't stand at GAm was them taking a third train off of one of the rides in front of everyone. Thank you for shutting down the ride for 10 minutes just so we can wait longer. If I could give negative points to Six Flags here, I WOULD. Also, this one guy at the entrance to Raging Bull starting yelling lies to everyone about the rides brakes being broken, then he let two girls cut in front of everyone. Also, a good deal of the rides don't open til noon when the park opens at 10.(P=1)
Themeing
PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT. While at SFGam the themeing wasn't abandoned at one point of expansion, the themeing in pretty much all the areas (minus the Southwest Territory) is rather bland. (P=1)
Crowds
Paramount. Defenitley. This is another one that I'd like to give negative points to Six Flags for. Six Flags Great America has roller coasters similar to Kings Dominions (ie Rebel Yell=American Eagle, Demon=Anaconda) but the waits here are literally 1+100's of times longer (I had to do the 1+ since rebel yell and anaconda don't have any waits on comporable days) (P=1)

P= 5.50
SF= 1.50

Six Flags Great America gets .25 less than Six Flags America.
BobFunland

3/27/2005 6:10:59 PM
Here's my humble opinion, which seemed to be different for the most part than everybody else.

Looking at my 4 categories which I rate parks on:

Rides:
Both Paramount and Six Flags clone a lot. Just like there are multiple BTRs, SRoS's, there are multiple Flight of Fear's, Hurler's, Scooby Doo's (though not replicas I dont think), Runaway Reptar's, and now Italian Job coasters. Both chains clone, so don't put Six Flags down because of that, Scott
To me, Six Flags has better coasters in general. From both Carowinds and Kings Dominion, there were only 2 coasters in each park that I really enjoyed. However, I enjoy more coasters from SFOG, which has fewer than both Paramount collections, and from Magic Mountain than I did from either Paramount. As for the flats, I do have to give Paramount the edge here, because all of the SF parks that I have been to have been weak overall, with a few good flats here and there.

Atmosphere:
Honestly, I dont prefer either one here. Again, I liked the atmosphere at SFOG, and even MM, better than the two Paramount parks I went to. Neither one had all-around great themeing, though there were some good spots here and there, just like Six Flags. I actually think that SF does a better job with their stations and landscaping, but then again, I missed out on summertime in the two Paramount parks, so I could be off big time.

Food:
Carowinds food sucked, the burger was aweful. I would take food from any of the Six Flags parks over it, but again, I only ate one meal there. As for the funnel cake I had at PKD, it wasn't too bad. Though not the best, it was better than the ones we have at SFOG.

Price:
Both are about the same for general admission, though I have to give a slight nod to Six Flags for their season pass deals. The Paramount Season pass is a good $20-35 more expensive than SF season passes, depending on what SF park you are using as a reference. Parking at both Paramount parks was a bit cheaper though In the end, it is probably another tie.

Overall:
I didnt mention operations much, and I honestly would rate them about the same, perhaps with a slight edge to Paramount parks. As for friendliness, again, no edge b/c both pull their employees from the same sea of people it seemed. The end moral to my story: I didn't think that Paramount was any better than Six Flags

--------------------
My Online Photo Gallery
My Coaster Record
coaster05

4/6/2005 6:07:45 PM
I change my vote to entirely Six Flags for this incredible reason. Paramount closed the park at 2:00 pm because they said they didn't have enough employees because the weather was supposed to be bad. So when they kicked us out 6 hours before close they offered a ticket to come back another day this year. Gee thanks I will make that 10 hour drive next week. So if you all know someone who needs a really cheap ticket let me know I am just trying to get some gas money back. I will be writing them very soon, but I would rather have bad SF service then no service at all.
larrygator

4/6/2005 10:42:17 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I change my vote to entirely Six Flags for this incredible reason. Paramount closed the park at 2:00 pm because they said they didn't have enough employees because the weather was supposed to be bad. So when they kicked us out 6 hours before close they offered a ticket to come back another day this year. Gee thanks I will make that 10 hour drive next week. So if you all know someone who needs a really cheap ticket let me know I am just trying to get some gas money back. I will be writing them very soon, but I would rather have bad SF service then no service at all.

Which Paramount Park closed early, should write, maybe they will let you transfer it to PKI.
Message updated 4/6/2005 10:51:08 PM by larrygator
coaster05

4/7/2005 9:51:33 AM
It was PKD and I have a season pass or I would have went crazy, but they had plenty of workers what they didn't have were plenty of customers so they closed instead of letting the customers have an incredible day.
BobFunland

4/7/2005 11:07:40 AM
That sucks big time, it looks like you lost a few rides due to it (Hypersonic, Anaconda, and Im guessing that at least one side of Rebel Yell was closed)

That is definatly Bush league..
coaster05

4/7/2005 2:11:03 PM
Hypersonic and Anaconda never opened. It was very poor treatment and made me long for SF. Thank goodness we went ride crazy at the start trying to beat more rain, hence why I didn't make FOF figuring I could ride that whenever.
larrygator

4/8/2005 12:26:41 AM
last summer it poured when I was at PKD in the middle of my 3 day trip (Carowinds,PKD,BGW). No rides opened til noon and I knew they would give a return pass if the rain kept up, but I would have had to drive back the 5-6 hours another weekend to enjoy the free pass. Luckily the rain finally gave way.

If I decide to drive down to VA this summer and you haven't already sold the pass I'll pay you the cost of the e-ticket to help re-imburse your gas. I'll get back to you. If reviews for are that good I may go to Virginia again this year.
coaster05

4/8/2005 1:55:58 AM
Thanks Larry I would just like some money back and give someone else a real good deal.
coasterwom

5/21/2006 3:23:06 AM
I think Paramount is a better run chain, cleaner, more themed, has more perks for their season pass members, and has less down time on coasters. Six Flags is a larger chain with more rides but they need to look at the other competition(chains) out there and use some of their strategies to get people to their parks.
Hercules

5/21/2006 11:19:51 AM
Six Flags gets plenty of people to their parks.

And how do you know about the perks of a Six Flags season pass? You don't even have one right? I very happy with mine. I get a coupon book full of discounts and free entries for friends, special season pass holder only nights at the park... I don't see anything wrong with that.
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics