Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR - Coney Island, NY 7-31-02
xDisney

8/4/2002 3:04:00 PM
We left my Dad's house in Newburgh, NY at 6:15AM and took the 2 hour drive to Brooklyn via I-278. I paid our $7.00 toll on the Verazano bridge and we were there at the famous Coney Island.
We got there at 8:00am and got an excellent parking space right next to the boardwalk in front of the Coney Island Cyclone. The parking was by meter ( 2 hour max) so I would come back and feed the meter during the day. The parking rate was a very reasonable $1.00 an hour. My Father is handicapped and uses a motorized scooter and the access was great with plenty of ramps to get on the boardwalk.
We arrived pretty early to avoid NY traffic so we had breakfast at "The Original Nathan's Famous" . The hot dogs and fries were very good and reasonably priced.
After breakfast we took the kids along the beach, pier and boardwalk. The NY Park Police were excellent and even gave my son a ride on one of the beach patrol 4-wheelers and raced my daughter on the motorized scooter down the pier. To my suprise, the beach and boardwalk were very clean and nice with plenty of modern restroom facilities and water fountains every couple of hundred yards. It was one of the nicest beaches I've been too.( And I lived in Florida most of my life ! ) The amusement parks opened promptly at 12:00PM. And the fun begins.

*****Coney Island Cyclone*****Astroland
Me and my son paid for our $5.00 tickets at the ticket booth out by the street and ran through the line. The cars were classic, no seat dividers. There was alot of extra padding added in the knee area and under and on the lap bar. The brakeman weighed about 500lbs with a big red nose and added a lot of character to the coaster. There was no wait, so we went straight to the front seat for our first ride. The first drop is amazing from the front seat. This coaster packs a huge punch for it's small size. It doesnt lose momentum from beginning to end with tons of airtime, laterals, crossovers and headchoppers. The action is non-stop. This coaster is not hype, it was amazing and made the 700 mile trip worth while.

*****Dante's Inferno*****Astroland
This darkride has the most awesome fasade of any carnival style darkride I've seen. A huge devil's head with a soul coming out of his mouth and a lot of gastly scenes painted to set the theme. We bought our tickets for $3.50 and gave it a whirl. It was your basic carnival style attraction that wasn't that impressive. Some of the tricks didn't work and a back door left open made for a not so scary darkride.

*****Deno's Wonder Wheel*****Wonder Wheel Park
The wonder wheel was in excellent condition, freshly painted and looking wonderful. This is not you're usual ferris wheel. Half the cars are stationary normal ferris wheel cars and half the cars move along a track and makes them move throgh the structure for a thrilling experience. I went on a stationary car with my dad and the kids went on a track car. We all loved it and enjoyed the great view of Coney Island. Don't miss a chance to ride the Wonder Wheel.

****Spook-O-Rama****Wonder Wheel Park
This turned out to be one of my favorite darkrides. It's a very old pretzel style darkride that still has the old style tricks but has also been updated with some very high tech scenes. The lighting and effects were perfect and made for a rickety scary old spook house. Don't miss it.

Overall Coney Island was fantastic and worth the trip. It was very clean and everyone we met were very friendly. We are plannng to make it a yearly trip.

Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics